Purpose of the position
The incumbent provides administrative support to staff in one of the work areas of the Country office. WHO maintains a roster of candidates willing to accept temporary contracts. Eligibility to the roster and subsequently eligibility for contracts at the G.4 or G.5 level will depend on candidates meeting the minimum requirements for the positions, the terms of references of the assignment and the scores achieved in test and interview. Contract length is dependent upon demand of the office. As appropriate to the level of the position, the duties and responsibilities may include some of all of the following:
Duties and Responsibilities
Description of duties
For G4 level positions:
As part of a unit team, to perform a variety of secretarial and administrative services in support of the activities of the technical unit and the WHO Country Office.
- Drafts correspondence and documents based on written/verbal prompts from the professional staff of the unit. Composes and finalizes correspondence of administrative nature. Provides rough translation or synopsis of incoming mail. Takes notes at meetings. Types reports and other documentation.
- Assists with the administrative preparation and conduct of regional meetings and educational activities, in accordance with established procedures.
- Makes travel arrangements for duty travels and, in accordance with established procedures, prepares approval memoranda, travel authorizations and follows up on issue of duty travel reports.
- Prepares correspondence for the recruitment of consultants and staff; arranges briefing appointments and provides secretarial support for them while in EURO; processes agreements for performance of work and other types of contractual arrangements as required and related correspondence, follows up on deadlines of such agreements/contracts and prepares payment instructions.
- Initiates action to process or follow up on correspondence, documentation and forms. Creates background files and compiles reference material as appropriate. Accesses and retrieves information from relevant databases and updates as required.
- Responds to and acts on telephone enquiries and requests for information. Assesses the critical nature of technical enquiries and refers them to appropriate staff for reply. Coordinates appointments for supervisor(s) and organizes programmes for visitors.
- Provides briefing and guidance to staff at all levels in the unit/programme on office practices and procedures; liaises with, assists or replaces other secretaries and/or programme assistants in the unit or department should the need arise.
- Performs other related duties as required
For G5 level positions:
As part of a unit team, the incumbent performs a variety of secretarial, coordinating, monitoring and administrative services in support of project/programme activities, as follows:
- Drafts correspondence and documents based on written/verbal prompts from the Professional staff of the unit(s) and Country Office. Independently composes and finalizes correspondence of administrative nature. Revises unit correspondence, reports, and documents for proper form and (non-technical) content. Takes notes at meetings. Types reports and other documentation. Arranges duty travel.
- Scans, records, refers and follows up correspondence and documents, evaluates the urgency or critical nature of items, and brings them to the attention of the responsible staff. Informs and reminds responsible staff of follow-up dates and deadlines for response or specific actions, supplying supporting material as appropriate. Periodically updates supervisor and team members on the program implementation status, and potential issues and opportunities.
- Using ERP system (GSM) and other corporate tools, monitors aspects of the implementation of activities and availability of funds for project/programme budget levels and financial expenditures, according to the approved projects. Assembles draft background for planning, monitoring and evaluation exercises. Inputs duty travel recommendations and issues reminders re follow up, records project/programme monitoring and evaluation notes.
- Makes administrative arrangements for country and inter country activities including preparation of various committal documents related to procurement of goods and services, arrangements of study tours and duty travel as per corporate guidelines, and in accordance with the approved programme budget/collaborative programmes with countries.
- Assists in the organization of meetings held in-house or in Member States (working groups, seminars/courses, workshops, and symposia), i.e.: makes administrative preparations, including organization of practical local arrangements, advance transport of documents/equipment and hospitality. Provides administrative and secretarial support during the meetings, and pays per diem to participants if required. Prepares administrative reports.
- Establishes and maintains the unit's filing system of technical documents and correspondence. Creates background files and compiles reference material as appropriate. Accesses and retrieves information from relevant databases and updates as required.
- Responds to and acts on telephone enquiries. Assesses the critical nature of technical enquiries and refers them to appropriate staff for reply. Coordinates appointments for supervisor(a), team members and organizes programmes for visitors.
- Provides briefing and guidance to all staff on general office practices and procedures; assists/replaces colleagues in the team and performs other related duties as required.
- In coordination with technical and admin team takes proactive role and assist with the preparation of donor proposals and donor reports (financial and resource management components), and timely management of resources.
Specific skills required:
Proficiency in the use of standard office software (MS Office applications) and note-taking. Operation of computerised systems and databases. Training in Oracle-based or other ERP systems an asset.
Required Skills and Experience
- Essential: Equivalent to graduation from secondary school or technical or commercial school.
- Desirable: Higher education from an accredited educational institution an asset.
- G4 positions: At least 3 years’ experience in the secretarial/administrative field.
- G5 positions: At least 5 years of progressively responsible experience in the secretarial/administrative field.
- Desirable: Experience in an international environment or institution. Relevant experience in WHO or in the UN.
Use of language skills
- Essential: Excellent knowledge of English and Ukranian and working knowledge of Russian
- Desirable: Working knowledge of German or French
This post is subject to local recruitment and will be filled by candidates recruited in the local commuting area of Kyiv. Successful candidates will be contacted to participate in a written test.
Duration of contract will depend on the needs of the office.
Salary G4 step 1: NET USD 13145 annually
Salary G5 step 1: NET USD 15511 annually
INSTRUCTIONS FOR APPLICATION
Closing date for applications: 6 June 2020
Vacancy Notice No: 2002052
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.