For over 50 years in 146 countries, ACDI/VOCA has empowered people in developing and transitional nations to succeed in the global economy. Based in Washington, DC, ACDI/VOCA is a nonprofit international development organization that delivers technical and management assistance in agribusiness, financial services, Enterprise Development, Community Development and food security to promote broad-based Economic Growth and a vibrant civil society. ACDI/VOCA is seeking a short-term Gender Consultant for the Victory against Malnutrition Plus (ViMPlus) Program in Burkina Faso funded by USAID. The ViMPlus Program will address extreme poverty and chronic malnutrition across the Centre-Nord region of Burkina Faso. The immediate interventions are rooted in the program objectives to combat malnutrition and launch coping strategies through efficient management of natural resources and social inclusion. POSITION DESCRIPTION ACDI/VOCA is committed to gender equity in all aspects of its programs and operations. The Gender consultant, with support from the ViMPlus Gender and Social Inclusion Director and the Acting Deputy Chief of Party, will facilitate ViMPlus in upholding this commitment by collaborating with Program Management and personnel to mainstream gender throughout the program cycle and operations. The ViMPlus Director of Gender and Inclusion (DGI) is responsible for mainstreaming gender throughout activities by collaborating with other ViMPlus staff as well as leading key initiatives to empower female program participants to increase their access to inputs, enhance their knowledge and skills, and strengthen their control over resources and assets. The Gender Consultant will support the Gender Director in development of key deliverables to ensure high quality documentation for project launch.Apply Now
- Work with the DGI and project team to finalize the ViMPlus gender Analysis, which will include final editing and reviewing/incorporating feedback from reviewers and strengthening recommendations based upon the findings.
- Work with DGI to refine and finalize the ViMPlus gender strategy and action plan based upon an existing outline and key priorities that have been identified through the gender analysis and staff consultations.
- Support review of the project work plan and ensure that the gender strategy/action plan is coordinated with the overall program work plan.
- Support DGI to Design a training for ViMPlus field staff and local implementing partners (LIPs) in integrating gender and inclusion as part of targeting and design.
- Provide support and feedback to DGI and DCOP on the development of the social behavior change (SBC) strategy in regards to behaviors targeted for women and youth or the promotion of gender equity/inclusion.
- Provide feedback and support in the development of sex- and age- disaggregated indicators for the PREP/ IPTT, gender and youth specific indicators and learning questions, and other required documents.
- Review translated technical documents and key deliverables to ensure translations are accurate and appropriate.*
- Other Technical Support to the DGI as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree preferably in sociology, public health, agronomy, behavioral economics, gender studies, or another related field
- Minimum of four (4) years’ progressively responsible experience in development programming focused on food security, nutrition or Agriculture, including two (2) years concentrating on gender and development issues
- Clear understanding of gender roles and relationships in Francophone West Africa, especially Burkina Faso, required
- Prior experience in the Sahel, especially Burkina Faso, is required.
- Prior experience with USAID projects, procedures, policies, reporting requirements and DFSA projects is highly preferred
- Fluency in English and French required
- Strong analytical skills, including ability to gather and analyze a variety of information pertaining to issues and to develop appropriate recommendations for action