Company Description At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern. Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization.Apply Now
Job DescriptionThis job description concerns three different Web Developer positions in CERN’s IT Department. If you are interested by any of them in particular, please specify it in your application. Full-stack Engineer in Indico: Indico is a web-based Event Management system which allows thousands of scientists around the world to conduct conferences and meetings, sharing materials and collaborating in an easy way. Indico is an Open Source Project, developed at CERN by an international team of passionate developers. It is used by CERN and 150 other institutes world wide, including the United Nations. As part of the Indico Team, your main focus of work will be the implementation of new features aiming at improving the handling of personal data in Indico and migrating more parts of Indico’s User Interface to React. Full-stack Engineer in ScienceMesh/Indico: CERNBox is the CERN cloud storage hub. It allows synchronizing and sharing files on all major desktop and mobile platforms (Linux, Windows, MacOSX, Android, iOS) aiming to provide universal access and offline availability to any data stored in the CERN EOS infrastructure. With more than 32000 users registered in the system and almost 10PB of data stored, CERNBox is an easily accessible cloud storage solution that also provides integration with other services for big science: visualization tools, interactive data Analysis and real-time collaborative editing. ScienceMesh is the future federated infrastructure developed by CERN and 11 other partner institutions, providing a ubiquitous sync and storage solution for Science, based on Open Source Software and Open Standards. This federated network of institutional sites will also integrate tools aimed at empowering the work of scientists world wide: research environments, notebooks, collaboration and editing tools. ScienceMesh will provide an ecosystem of decentralized privacy-preserving applications available to a pan-European network of researchers, engineers, students and staff. Your main focus of work will be the integration of Indico into ScienceMesh. You will have the opportunity to be part of both the Indico and CERNBox teams, in CERN’s IT Department. Full-stack Engineer in ScienceMesh/Invenio: Invenio is a suite of open source products for building and operating very large-scale digital archives such as the world-leading Zenodo, CERN Document Server, CERN Open Data and INSPIRE-HEP. The digital archives allow researhers around the world to share and preserve their research data and articles. Each of the services are supporting millions visitors and hosting several PBs of research data. As part of the Invenio and CERNBox teams, your main focus of work will be the integration of Invenio into ScienceMesh to provide researchers with a top-of-class user experience for sharing and preserving their research data. In the context of any of these positions, you will:
- Actively contribute to a large Open Source project on GitHub;
- Work closely with developers, prototyping solutions and iterating on them in an agile environment;
- Maintain code repositories and take part in code reviews of Open Source projects;
- Work on DevOps infrastructure (OpenStack/Puppet and Docker/OpenShift);
- Participate in the 3rd-line user support rota.
- You are a national of a CERN Member or Associate Member State;
- You have graduated, or are about to graduate, with a university degree (BSc or MSc level in Computer Science,engineering or another relevant course) and have no more than 4 years’ relevant experience after obtaining your degree;
- Kindly note that experience prior to the latest obtained degree will not be taken into account for the calculation of your overall years of experience.
- Strong knowledge of Python;
- Significant experience with React and/or Vue (or a comparable framework);
- Experience creating web application frontends with HTML5;
- Experience working in agile teams and performing code reviews;
- Familiarity with Git and Open Source code hosting platforms like GitHub.
- Experience developing web applications using Flask and SQLAlchemy;
- Experience prototyping and developing intuitive User Interfaces;
- Basic knowledge of Linux Administration" id="link" class="link">System Administration;
- Passionate about Software Development and writing clean and robust code;
- (ScienceMesh-only) Experience with Go would be a plus;
- Having recent Open Source contributions or personal side projects on your GitHub account would be a plus.
Additional InformationCERN would very much like to benefit from your expertise, commitment and passion. In return, CERN will provide you with:
- An employment contract for between six months (minimum) up to a maximum of 36 months.
- A stipend ranging from 5,281 to 6,558 Swiss Francs per month (net of tax).
- Coverage by CERN’s comprehensive health scheme (for yourself, your spouse and children), and membership of the CERN Pension Fund.
- Depending on your individual circumstances: an installation grant, family, child and infant allowances as well as travel expenses to and from Geneva.
- 2.5 days of paid leave per month.
- A CV.
- A scanned PDF of your most recent relevant qualification.