Are you passionate about making the world a better place for people displaced by war and conflict? The Norwegian Refugee Council welcomes your interest one of its exciting positions: Background The Norwegian Refugee Council delivers high-quality aid, protecting people forced to flee and supporting them as they build a new future. NRC works in new and protracted crises across 30 countries, providing food assistance, clean water, shelter, legal aid, and education. NRCs Field Operations’ department overall global responsibilities include: a) global programme development and policy, b) overall preparedness and emergency response capacity, c) monitoring, assessment and start-up of new emergency programmes/ country operations, d) strategic and operational direction on Security Risk Management and crisis management and e) strategic development and oversight of regions. The FO department in Head Office includes the Unit (Strategy, Information and Support) where this position would sit as well as three Sections that we work to support (Programme Development Support; Health, Safety and Security and Emergency Response). The Strategy, Information and Support Unit employs five staff, including a financial specialist, a financial Adviser and a grants adviser, in addition to the Head of Unit and Admin and Support Officer. The Unit works to support various workstreams across the department and have cross-departmental outreach as well. We are now looking for a structured, flexible, positive, service-minded and motivated person that wants to contribute to NRCs mission in general, and the department in specific within a role that is administrative in nature, but has opportunities to learn about and contribute to a wider range of work tasks, programme related and beyond The Field Operations Department manages annually around 30 projects with a total budget of approx. 75-80 MNOK, 50 MNOK of which is a fixed frame, and 25-30 MNOK come from external funding. The main donors are NMFA/NORAD and Sida, but the portfolio also consists of DEVCO, Wellspring, Dubai Cares, IOM, AFD, Innovation Norway, in addition to private sponsors. The purpose of the Coordinator" id="link" class="link">Finance Coordinator is to support budget holders in the financial management of these projects in accordance with NRC policies and procedures and perform compliance control for FO managed projects. Special attention will need to be given to a complex, multi-year, multi-applicant DEVCO project working closely with two NRC country operations and implementing partners.Apply Now
Duties and responsibilitiesFor detailed responsibilities,please review Job Description in the "We Can Offer" section below* Generic responsibilities
- Implement NRC’s financial systems and procedures.
- Support and train budget holders in adhering to NRC financial policies, handbooks, and provide Capacity Development when necessary.
- Support and monitor compliance with the Finance handbooks and NRC policies, and respective quality assurances.
- Contribute to the development of policies, strategies, tools and new approaches and SOP’s for the department.
- Prepare and submit financial proposals and reports for all projects managed by FO and ensure proper filing of all financial supporting documents.
- Follow up on spending on private funds managed by Field Operations in Coordination with the Financial Specialist.
- Provide guidance on donor financial (and potentially some procurement) rules and regulations to budget holders in FO
- Responsible for producing BVA and support budget holders with forecasts as needed by Department Director, FO budget holders and Heads of Section/Unit
- Following up on external audits for donor-funded projects at FO department
- Make necessary adjustments to FO project general ledger transactions.
- ** Direct financial management of a multi-country, multi-department and multi- year DEVCO project.
- Keep FO project overview trackers up to date, including information on deliverables, project owners and spending in coordination with FO Grants Adviser.
- Support Country Office financial procedures in-country upon request (could involve travel).
QualificationsGeneric professional competencies:
- University degree in finance and/or Business Management
- Strong financial and analytical skills
- Experience with DEVCO as a donor
- Experience from large/complex or multi-applicant projects with stringent donor rules is very advantageous
- Experience from working in a technical Finance position
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal
- Understanding and experience using Agresso/Unit4 is an advantage
Personal qualitiesThese are personal qualities that influence how successful people are in their job. NRC’s Competency Framework states 12 behavioural competencies and the following are essential for this position:
- Planning and Delivering Results
- Working with People
- Communicating with Impact and Respect
We can offerJob Description
- This is a temporary position for 2 years, with a preferred start date at the end of September 2020 and located in NRCs Head Office in Oslo/Norway. Remote working is not an option.
- This position is a Grade 7 in our organisation and the minimum salary of Grade 7 is 446,200 NOK per year. Please note that each salary will be assessed individually by considering the position and candidate.
- Challenging, meaningful and varied work.
- Opportunities to contribute beyond Administration work depending on interest, skills and motivation.
- You will be part of a strongly committed, international team in a well-known humanitarian organisation.
- Salary by agreement, good pension and insurance schemes