The Finance, Planning and Analysis team is seeking an energetic, collaborative Finance Associate to provide business and financial analysis support to the foundation’s Program Strategy Teams (PSTs) which are the teams that manage the grantmaking processes for the foundation. While this individual will be hired initially to support the financial analysis work of the Global Development teams, however candidates should be comfortable growing and adapting to support areas beyond Global Development during their tenure with the foundation. Key responsibilities include partnering with the Global Development program team in grantee financial assessments and grant investment structuring, including complex transactions. Other key responsibilities include supporting the Program CFO and Finance Managers in annual budget and financial planning, resource allocation and ad hoc projects. This position is being offered as a 12 month limited term-employee (LTE), with the possibility of an extension after the successful completion of the 12 month term.
Critical skills for success include solution-orientation and a proactive approach to responsibilities. Experience using financial/data analysis and modeling skills in an advisory role are necessary in building strong relationships with key partners, including the Global Development Leadership Team. Successful Finance Associates also demonstrate the ability to be flexible, supporting Managers and Senior Managers with overflow and capacity requests that might be outside of the area they were originally hired to support.
The Finance Associate must be effective at influencing with exceptional partnership and communication skills. Most importantly, s/he must be passionate about the foundation’s mission, particularly in addressing the educational inequities that exist today.
Additional information about our Global Development programs can be found here - https://docs.gatesfoundation.org/Documents/GlobalDevelopmentProgramFactSheet.pdf
Investment Analysis (50%)
· Perform new grant and annual progress report budget reviews, conduct financial diligence, review grant proposal summaries, evaluate budget forecasts, and assess the financial health of organizations to ensure potential funding meets the Foundation's requirements, strategic goals, and programmatic missions
· Provide analytical support on complex analysis with a financial component and for complex financial transactions, including PRIs.
· Support the analysis of the financial health of organizations through market research, financial statement reviews and discussions with key finance members of these organizations.
Cross-Foundational / Project based (20%)
· Participate in PST-related and cross-foundation projects to develop financial analyses and best practices in support of effective investment-making
· Respond to internal and external portfolio data requests and analysis.
Strategy and Financial/Budget Planning (15%)
· Support annual budgeting and financial planning
· Work with the program team(s) to produce detailed, dynamic 4-year investment budgets, including risk assessment and scenario modeling
· Partner with the Strategy, Planning, & Management (SPM) team to optimize/allocate resources across portfolios of investments, using a fluid capital market approach
Forecasting Management (15%)
· Provide forecast support and portfolio allocation management
· Monitor actuals and forecasts to budget, with risk assessment and produce variance analysis
· Build tools and reports to plan and monitor workflow, and monitor forecast and payout performance
This role is responsible for high quality interactions and clear and consistent communications with grantees and partners in the field.
Core Knowledge and Skills
· Financial and strategic planning; analytical, numerical and financial modeling skills
· Broad knowledge of finance (corporate, global markets)
· Global Health experience preferred, but not required
· Knowledge of developing country economics and dynamics preferred, but not required
· Strong relationship building skills
· Business plan development and evaluation
· Basic project management skills
· Ability to translate data into user friendly tools/resources
· Intellectual curiosity
· Synthesizing skills / Ability to absorb and quickly distill significant amounts of information
· Ability to influence without formal authority
· Negotiation skills
· Solution and action orientation
· Advanced Excel (pivot tables, VB Scripts, SQL experience a plus)
· Ability to read and analyze financial statements
· Ability to manage multiple projects and activities
· Good sense of humor
Education and Experience
· Bachelor’s degree with 3-7 years of experience
Applicants for this role will only be considered if they possess current US Work Authorization, and do not require employer-sponsored VISA support to begin or remain in this role.