Vacancy no.: DC/ABIDJAN/GS/2020/05
Publication date: 09 June 2020
Application deadline (midnight Abidjan time): 30 June 2020
Job ID: 3856
Organization Unit: RO-Africa
Contract type: Fixed Term
Contract duration:One Year
Under article 4.2, paragraph (e) of the Staff Regulations, the filling of vacancies in technical cooperation projects does not fall under Annex I of the Staff Regulations and is made by direct selection by the Director-General.
In order to support the best informed process in the filling of the above-mentioned vacancy by direct selection, the ILO invites interested candidates to submit their application online by the above date.
The following are eligible to apply:
- ILO Internal candidates in accordance with paragraphs 31 and 32 of Annex I of the Staff Regulations.
- External candidates*
*The recruitment process for General Service positions is subject to specific local recruitment criteria. The ILO may only offer a contract to Ivorian citizens.
Technical cooperation appointments are not expected to lead to a career in the ILO and they do not carry any expectation of renewal or conversion to any other type of appointment in the Organization. A one-year fixed-term contract will be given. Extensions of technical cooperation contracts are subject to various elements including the following: availability of funds, continuing need of the functions and satisfactory conduct and performance.
*Conditions of employment for external candidates: In conformity with existing ILO practice, the appointment of an external candidate will normally be made at the first step of this grade. .Introduction
The position is within the development cooperation project STRENGTHEN 2 located in the Development and Investment (DEVINVEST) Branch, Employment Policy Department of the International Labour Office (ILO) (Geneva) with activities decentralized to the Regional Office for Africa. The Finance and Administrative Assistant will provide efficient financial and administrative support to all activities in the project both in HQ and in ROAF.The ILO and EC have agreed upon a technical cooperation project that provides technical assistance to EU services, including EU Delegations in Africa and partner countries on the thematic of the employment impact assessment of EU financed investments.
The main purpose of the position of the Administrative and Finance Assistant is to offer financial and administrative assistance, including preparing financial transactions in the IRIS system to all activities in the project both in HQ and in ROAF.
As a team member, the incumbent provides routine operations with responsibility for performing, completing and overseeing a range of operational, financial and administrative support services in an efficient, effective and client-oriented manner. These relate to the delivery of administrative and office support, HR, finance and travel and logistics, and require the use of the enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system. The incumbent plays a key role, demonstrating considerable judgment, in ensuring transparency in the correct application, interpretation and adaptation of established rules, regulations, policies, procedures and guidelines. The incumbent evaluates and proposes solutions to difficult situations and provides inputs into the Design and development of improved operational support services and delivery processes.
The position works under the supervision of Chief Technical Advisor (CTA)/ Project Manager. Supervision received is focused on the timeliness of process execution and the quality of outputs. The incumbent works with a moderate degree of independence. Work is reviewed for correctness in application of financial rules and regulations, policies and procedures.
The Administrative and Finance Assistant will report to the CTA/Project Manager of the project, under the overall supervision of Director of the Regional Office for Africa and Sr. Coordinator Structural Transformation in the Development and Investment (DEVINVEST) Branch, Employment Policy Department. The Administrative and Finance Assistant will be jointly supervised by the Development and Investment Branch as well as the Regional Office for Africa.Description of Duties
In accordance with the needs and priorities of the project where the position is located, the incumbent will provide services from among the following duties for both teams in HQ and ROAF:optional section (if needed)
- Perform a range of specialised finance support functions and services for operational and payment-related work of the Office, including initiating and processing financial transactions in the Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system and verifying that information and supporting documentation is in compliance with financial rules and regulations, policies, procedures and applicable standards.
- Monitor expenditure and budget allocations, updating information on project accounts and informing supervisor when funds need to be replenished.
- Maintain and update project spreadsheets and databases for internal expenditure control purposes. Prepare inputs, run reports, and extract and compile financial data and present information on the status of financial resources of the project to support Analysis, budget revisions, and reporting needs.
- Respond to requests for general information and routine queries on status of payments and other budgetary issues.
- Review and request additional information on the financial reports of project implementing partners, ensuring compliance with ILO rules, before submitting to the Finance Unit.
- Classify and assign budget codes, verify and process claims for payment, and check payment vouchers, prices and claims invoices.
- Undertake and complete a range of administrative and operational support services. Contribute to the smooth and efficient functioning of the work project team by evaluating requirements, organizing and carrying out work assignments accordingly and proposing improvements to work processes.
- Prepare, draft and finalize general and administrative correspondence and undertake quality control of outgoing documents for accuracy of information, grammar and style and compliance with applicable standards. Provide informal translations.
- Maintain the official travel plan of the project. Make travel and accommodation arrangements, coordinate visa and security requirements, and process administrative transactions. Provide guidance and assistance to staff relating to arrival, departure and official travel formalities. Develop and maintain contacts with counterparts in government departments and external service providers to facilitate travel, visa, shipping and/or other related issues.
- Coordinate and provide a range of administrative and financial support for meetings, workshops and other events. Ensure the timely preparation, translation, publication and dissemination of documents, presentations, briefing files and related materials. Take minutes and follow upon the implementation of decisions.
- Keep abreast of financial and administrative rules and regulations, policies, procedures, guidelines and processes and share information with concerned parties.
- Perform and/or coordinate other general administrative and financial duties such as those related to attendance and leave recording, office space, registry, inventory and procurement matters.
- Ensuring timely and accurate quarterly financial reports are prepared including any additional donor financial reports that may be required ; ensuring proper financial closure of project with the preparation of the final reports and handover of key documents in line with ILOs document retention policies
- Perform other relevant duties as assigned.
Completion of secondary school education supplemented by a training in an area related to accounting and/or finance, general Administration and office support from a recognized commercial school or equivalent.Experience
Minimum of five years of general administrative and operational support work experience.Languages
Excellent command of French and a good working knowledge of English.Competencies
- Knowledge and understanding of a complex body of financial and administrative rules, guidelines and procedures.
- Knowledge of in-house procedures for the preparation of documents and administrative forms, and for the creation and maintenance of filing systems.
- Good knowledge of PC software (including word processor, spreadsheet and presentation software) such as Microsoft Office.
In addition to the ILO core competencies [Integrity and transparency, Sensitivity to diversity, Orientation to learning and knowledge sharing, Client orientation, Communication, Orientation to change, Takes responsibility for performance, Quality orientation, Collaboration], this position requires:
- Ability to interpret and work within the applicable administrative and financial rules and regulations, policies and procedures.
- Ability to adapt quickly to new software and systems.
- Accuracy and attention to detail.
- Sense of responsibility to maintain data integrity.
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment and to demonstrate gender-sensitive and non-discriminatory behaviour and attitudes.
- Ability to coordinate and oversee a broad range of operational activities.
- Good drafting skills.
- Ability to coordinate the work of other project support staff.
- A high degree of discretion with sense of responsibility in dealing with confidential matters.
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application form. To apply, please visit the ILO Jobs website. The system provides instructions for online application procedures.
The ILO does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process whether at the application, interview, processing or training stage. Messages originating from a non ILO e-mail account - @ilo.org - should be disregarded. In addition, the ILO does not require or need to know any information relating to the bank account details of applicants.