As part of OFRM's Financial Business Partnering Division, reporting to the Deputy CFO, the Innovation and Solutions Team formulates innovative financial solutions. The Team supports senior finance staff seeking advice on complex and new financial and related policy issues that go beyond the existing financial frameworks, to transform finance and support development results. The services provided include policy advice, financial management training, development and review of new types of financial arrangements, tools and information management. The team supports other OFRM units in extracting and interpreting financial data, and through the Analytics team located in Kuala Lumpur, supports all OFRM units and the wider UNDP financial community with their analytical needs and reports.
This post is co-located with UNDP’s Global Shared Service Centre (GSSC) in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Under the day-to-day supervision of the Specialist Financial Analysis, Innovations and Solutions Team, the Finance Analytics Lead will manage the Analytics team based in Malaysia, responsible for data mining, extraction and interpretation of information to help generate financial and budgetary insights. The Finance Analytics Lead will drive consistent delivery of concise, actionable analysis to enable informed decision making and improve financial performance, whilst ensuring that the resultant reports present a consistent and accurate view.
In servicing clients, this role also aspires towards supporting them to become increasingly self-sufficient in information and report production, through enabling self-service information provision. The role will also identify opportunities for improvement in the reporting and analyses provided and help drive their implementation, including (but not limited to) supporting the development of functional specifications for Financial systems and reporting solutions, to innovate business processes, service delivery and information provision.Duties and Responsibilities
1) Analyse and interpret financial data, and transform it into meaningful narrative and financial information
- Draw conclusions, predict, create inferences, and present findings to clients.
- Carry out variance analysis on data and identify root causes.
- Create effective narratives and accompanying visuals to tell the story and be easily understood.
2) Provide day-to-day leadership to and supervision of the Analytics team located in Kuala Lumpur, delivering high-quality on-time information and analysis to OFRM and its clients:
- Determine the work plan and timelines for the Analytics team in discussion with the Specialist Financial Analysis;
- Manages day to day service provision to clients, effectively managing incoming service requests, service performance and follow-up in a timely manner;
- Manages workload distribution for the Analytics team, including redistribution of service requests as required;
- Identifies opportunities to innovate in service delivery, and works with the team to implement improvements.
3) Design and develop business intelligence content by identifying report requirements and determining business rules through a structured design process, and ensure that information and reporting satisfy business and analytical needs:
- Develop system extracts, data models, reports, dashboards, Data Visualizations or other outputs and ad-hoc data to support the reporting and information requirements of clients;
- Ensure that all extracts, reports, dashboards or other outputs have been appropriately tested; and
- Ensure that data integrity is maintained, including consistency with audited corporate reports
- Contribute to the design and development of systems/tools/solutions to accelerate UNDP’s capability to capitalize on business intelligence
- Prepare and review functional specifications for PeopleSoft, IT Financial tools, data warehouse, data marts, etc.
- Support business units in refining their business requirements, including through formal interviews or facilitated sessions
- Contribute to user-centered design in developing BI tools / solutions to ensure that UNDP’s analytics systems are accessible, useful and easy to use.
4) Provide responsive and quality support to OFRM, providing tools and information for the Global Finance Function, in meeting their reporting and informational needs, through providing hands-on support in the tools used to extract and formulate reports, in order to enhance the capacity of Finance users to extract and interpret finance data from the financial systems of UNDP:
- Provide expertise to business areas in understanding enterprise data content, definitions and usage, and the available Business Intelligence (BI) tools;
- Support users in the formulation and extraction of financial and administrative information;
- Guide business area users in developing self-service solutions for their reporting and information needs
- Guide business areas in identifying new data needs and delivery mechanisms for reporting information
5) Ensure data integrity within the financial and administrative systems, and in the reports and extracts provided, including consistency with audited corporate reports:
- Reduce system reconciliation issues, through formulating and developing appropriate checks and diagnostics, and the creation of processes to run defined queries and reports on a regular basis
- Report discrepancies to the user community, and identify solutions to resolve data discrepancies
- Propose original, technical solutions for maintaining data integrity and expanding UNDP’s data collection and analysis capability for its finance management practice
Ability to make new and useful ideas work
Ability to persuade others to follow
Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement
Strong SQL and/or Python skills and ability to extract data from PeopleSoft/Oracle using SQL, SQR, and other tools.
Data Modelling and Visualization
Strong skills in data mining, data modelling, data visualization and developing reports and dashboards using Microsoft Power BI and/or Tableau
Financial Reporting and Analysis
Ability to evaluate financial data, derive relevant findings and present them in a meaningful manner
Detailed understanding of budgetary, financial and administrative processes.
Firm understanding of business intelligence tools, and the architecture and design of advanced Integrated Management systems, preferably including PeopleSoft/Oracle. Knowledge of technological innovations, such as Machine Learning, big data analysis, etc.Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree in Information Technology, Computer Science or related quantitative field, AND
- A professional accounting qualification from an internationally accredited institute of accountancy.
- Master’s degree in Finance, Business Administration or a professional accounting qualification from an internationally accredited institute of accountancy, AND
- Certification in SQL, SQR, Python or equivalent, and complex data extraction routines.
Professionally qualified accountants from an internationally accredited institute of accountancy will have a distinct advantage
2) Long-listed candidates will be required to undergo the UNDP Advance Accountancy and Finance Test (UNDP AAFT).
- Minimum 5 years relevant experience in Finance
- Relevant experience with Business Intelligence (BI) environments, including hands-on experience in data modelling, data mining, Mapping of source to target data, documenting requirements, designing and conducting data quality tests, and creating reports and dashboards in the financial arena
- Experience of at least 3 years in SQL and/or Python
- Expertise in using data visualization tools such as Microsoft PowerBI, Tableau, etc.
- Hands-on proficiency with ERP systems, ideally PeopleSoft
- Experience of Azure SQL Analysis and Azure Data Catalog services is also an asset
- Knowledge of technological innovations, such as machine learning, big data analysis, etc is a distinct advantage
Proficiency written and spoken English.Disclaimer
Important applicant information
Internal mobility at GSSU is strongly encouraged and we reserve the right to reassign the newly appointed staff members with similar skillset and educational qualifications for similar functions and job categories at the same level in GSSU. The internal lateral movements will be determined based on the needs of the organization while allowing the newly recruits to broaden their skills, build networks and gain fresh experience and to better align their profiles with the jobs.
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.