IFC—a sister organization of the World Bank and member of the World Bank Group—is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. We work in more than 100 countries, using our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities in developing countries. In fiscal year 2019, we invested more than $19 billion in private companies and financial institutions in developing countries, leveraging the power of the private sector to end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity. For more information, visit www.ifc.org. The Financial Institutions Group (FIG) advisory program focuses on strengthening financial institutions in emerging markets and provides technical expertise and advisory services to help them establish profitable and sustainable banking models while supporting the expansion of financial services. The program focuses on the following areas of work: Small and Medium Enterprises (SME) Finance, Digital Financial Services, Risk Management, Sustainable Energy Finance, and Banking on Women. The FIG Advisory team based in Colombia manages a portfolio of projects in the LAC Region and works in strengthening different aspects of financial institutions’ business, strategy, and operations. An example of our advisory work includes improving credit risk management, developing a value proposition for target client segments, product development, conducting diagnostic and developing a digital banking strategy, developing a gender finance strategy, strengthening the SME business model, among others. IFC is seeking an Extended Term Temporary (ETT) to support the FIG advisory program operations in Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC). The Extended Term Temporary (ETT) will work in close collaboration with and report directly to the IFC LAC/ECA FIG Advisory Services Manager while interacting with Project Leaders and Senior Specialists. S/he will be based in Bogota, Colombia/ Mexico City, Mexico/ Sao Paulo, Brazil/ Washington, DC, USA. Some travel may be required. The successful candidate will demonstrate an exceptional ability to acquire and process knowledge, to function in a fast-paced high-performance environment, to manage multiple tasks while paying attention to details, and to deliver quality under tight deadlines. S/he will be a natural team player who also demonstrates autonomy and initiative. Roles and Responsibilities The Extended Term Temporary (ETT) will support the advisory team in business development and implementation of projects with financial institutions in the LAC region. The activities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Business development support: The Extended Term Temporary (ETT) will help the team in structuring and developing high impact presentations and technical proposals for potential advisory projects with financial institutions and support the team in preparation activities related to originating and launching the project and related to IFC’s project cycle in order to ensure all activities follows IFC governance (e.g: defining project activities and scope of work, implementation plans, research and analysis of the financial sector in a specific market or a specific financial institution, drafting budgets, designing indicator/targets, etc.).
- Existing project management and implementation: The Extended Term Temporary (ETT) will support the project lead in advisory projects implementation and client management activities, which can include the elaboration of project workplans and high quality project deliverables, the organization of missions, conducting research and analysis of client information and databases, analyzing and synthesize client information in a clear and concise manner, elaborating quantitative analysis, analyzing financial statements, developing high impact presentations for clients and project supervision reports, among others. The Extended Term Temporary (ETT) will work closely with project leads to meets financial institutions client expectations and ensure all activities required in IFC’s project cycle are met.
- Capturing and disseminating knowledge derived and lessons learned from the projects of the IFC FCI LAC.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Economics, Finance, International Development or related fields
- Preferably with at least 2 years of experience in finance, banking, portfolio management or consulting
- Good knowledge and understanding of business planning, work programming and project management. Consulting experience is preferred
- Experience of 1 year working on the digital finance space
- Knowledge of development and access to finance issues and of relevant World Bank (and similar) approaches for private sector development
- Self-starter with ability to problem solve, work independently on routine issues, organize and prioritize work to meet deadlines
- Ability to work under pressure, tight deadlines and have flexibility in handling a variety of concurrent tasks, while keeping attention to detail and producing high quality work
- Ability to present information in different and new approaches to facilitate the managerial decision-making processes
- Capacity to work effectively in a multi-disciplinary, multi-cultural and fast changing environment
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English and Spanish
- Strong computing skills (proficiency required in Microsoft Excel, Word and Power Point; knowledge of collaborative working tools (Miro, Mural, Trello, etc) is a plus
- Good attitude; self-starter; dynamic, committed and accountable
Note: The selected candidate will be offered a one-year appointment, renewable for an additional one year, at the discretion of the World Bank Group, and subject to a lifetime maximum ET Appointment of two years. If an ET appointment ends before a full year, it is considered as a full year toward the lifetime maximum. Former and current ET staff who have completed all or any portion of their second-year ET appointment are not eligible for future ET appointments.
Poverty has no borders, neither does excellence. We succeed because of our differences and we continuously search for qualified individuals with diverse backgrounds from around the globe.