Do you want to build a career that is truly worthwhile? Working at the World Bank Group provides a unique opportunity for you to help our clients solve their greatest development challenges. The World Bank Group is one of the largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries; a unique global partnership of five institutions dedicated to ending extreme poverty, increasing shared prosperity and promoting sustainable development. With 189 member countries and more than 120 offices worldwide, we work with public and private sector partners, investing in groundbreaking projects and using data, research, and technology to develop solutions to the most urgent global challenges. Visit www.worldbank.org.
The Maldives is an island nation comprised of many islands and atolls dispersed in the Indian ocean. It is made up of 1,190 small coral islands of which 190 are inhabited by a local population of 340,000 individuals. With more territorial sea than land, marine resources have played a vital role in shaping Economic Development, with nature-based tourism and fisheries as key drivers of economic growth. The current active World Bank portfolio in Maldives comprises three IDA projects with a net commitment value of $104 million and one IDA guarantee operation of $16 million - supporting education, environmental management, renewable energy, Disaster Risk Management, macro-fiscal and public financial management.
The Nepal, Sri Lanka and Maldives Country Management Unit (CMU) is hiring an Extended-Term Temporary (ETT) for its Country Office in Maldives. The Country Office comprised an Operations Officer assisted by the ETT. The Maldives country program is led by a Director" id="link" class="link">Country Director based in Kathmandu and managed by a Country Manager based in Colombo. The ETT position is subject to local recruitment and to be based in the Maldives country office. The ETT would be supervised by the Operations Officer, with overall reporting to the Country Manager, and would work under the mentorship of and in Coordination with the Operations Officer in Male. The ETT will carry out a full range of tasks that may vary according to office needs and requirements and will be mainly responsible for providing general assistance to support current and anticipated country program activities.
Duties and accountabilities :
• Interacts daily with Government officials, staff and other development partners to ensure efficient dialogue on program matters;
• Provides appropriate responses and directs clients/visiting missions to appropriate individuals for complex issues;
• Together with Operations Officer, develop appropriate online content related to the country portfolio and regularly update WB Maldives website and MV Twitter handle;
• Travel to project sites by request from the TTLs to consult with project beneficiaries on issues identified;
• Together with the Operations Officer in the office monitor the media landscape and provide regular media highlights to the wider Maldives Country Team;
• Contribute to discussions and missions for project preparation and implementation;
• Assists internal and external clients with general inquiries and/or provides mentorship;
• Supports logistical coordination for workshops, conferences, retreats, learning events, sends invitations to participants and follows up on confirmation of attendance as necessary;
• Maintains an up-to-date database of Government officials, Donors, UN Agencies, Non-Governmental organizations, vendors and other institutions/persons regularly;
• Provides back up support to WB administrative staff with visa coordination and facilitation;
• Assists the CM / CD and CMU’s missions to Maldives;
• Assists with travel arrangements where needed – mainly local field visits;
• Handles courier services and delivery of letters/publications to clients as and when required;
• Provides backup to the Operations Officer as needed.
• Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant discipline (in economics, finance, business Administration, social science or other field related to development)
• Minimum 2 years of direct relevant experience
• Excellent command of written and spoken English and Dhivehi.
• Advanced computer skills and full proficiency in the use of relevant Software Applications.
• Technology and systems knowledge – Able to conduct routine work using basic software applications (Microsoft Office, Outlook) and appropriate technology and /or data base Management Systems.
• Project and task management – Demonstrates attention to details. Able to prioritize own work and complete assigned tasks according to directions within agreed timeline; seeks guidance in organizing non – routine tasks.
• Versatility and adaptability – Demonstrate ability and willingness to learn.
• Client Orientation – Demonstrates positive client service attitude; able to develop good working relationships with internal/external clients.
• Drive for Results – Takes personal ownership and accountability to meet deadlines and achieve agreed-upon results and has the personal organization to do so.
Note: The selected candidate will be offered a one-year appointment, renewable for an additional one year, at the discretion of the World Bank Group, and subject to a lifetime maximum ET Appointment of two years. If an ET appointment ends before a full year, it is considered as a full year toward the lifetime maximum. Former and current ET staff who have completed all or any portion of their second-year ET appointment are not eligible for future ET appointments.
Poverty has no borders, neither does excellence. We succeed because of our differences and we continuously search for qualified individuals with diverse backgrounds from around the globe.