For the past four decades, UNU has been a go-to think tank for impartial research on the pressing global problems of human survival, Conflict Prevention
, development, and welfare. With more than 400 researchers in 13 countries, UNU’s work spans the full breadth of the 17 Sustainable Development Goals, generating policy-relevant knowledge to effect positive global change. UNU maintains more than 200 collaborations with UN agencies and leading universities and research institutions across the globe.
United Nation University Centre for Policy Research (UNU-CPR)
United Nation University Centre for Policy Research in New York is an independent think tank within the United Nations
system. We combine research excellence with deep knowledge of the multilateral system to generate innovative solutions to current and future global public policy challenges. For more information on UNU-CPR and its work, please visit http://cpr.unu.edu.
The Events and Communications Coordinator
will support the team at the United Nations University Centre for Policy Research (UNU-CPR) temporarily for a duration of seven months, reporting to the Chief Operations Officer
and working closely with project leads, communications, and administrative staff. The Events and Communications Coordinator will work to ensure the professional organisation and conduct of quality events in close Coordination
with project leads to promote project aims and outputs and to enhance the profile, policy impact, and reach of UNU-CPR. This role is a maternity leave cover for the period of January 2020 until the end of July 2020.
You are experienced in events coordination and promotion, are detail-oriented and flexible, and a self-starter with a positive outlook. You have excellent writing and editing skills and are experienced in content creation. You work well autonomously without constant supervision but have a record of working as part of multi-partner project teams. You have a strong customer service oriented attitude and can interact well with diverse groups and individuals, including diplomats and other high-level government officials. You thrive in multicultural and multi-lingual settings, enjoy innovative thinking and are committed to Gender Equality
Under the supervision of the Chief Operations Officer and in close coordination with the Communications Manager, project leads and other administrative staff, the Events and Communications Coordinator will:
Event planning and execution
- implement all aspects of event planning, execution and reporting
- plan and organise meetings, events, and workshops by booking venues, equipment, and providing other related logistical support, including for events held abroad
- create and disseminate invitations and track RSVPs for events
- identify, review for style, format, and accuracy, and assemble documents and pertinent information in support of such events and meetings
- provide on-the-day on-site support for these meetings in close collaboration with the UNU-CPR project team
- compile and maintain data inputs for the yearly UNU-CPR events reporting
- instill proper event practices & protocol into UNU-CPR events
- work closely with the Communications Team to plan how to maximise the visibility of UNU-CPR events through UNU-CPR’s communications channels and external partnerships
- ensure that all events meet the highest possible standards within budget requirements by closely monitoring revenue and expenses
- provide budget reports for each event to the Project Manager as needed; keep track of budgeting for the Events Report
- collaborate with the Operations Team to ensure that vendors hired for events follow UNU rules and regulations
- liaise as needed on contract creation
Required qualifications and experience
- work with the UNU-CPR Communications Manager to leverage events to maximize policy impact and promotion
- provide broad communications support, including website coordination, content creation, editorial support and social media messaging, under the supervision of the Communications Manager
Required qualifications and experience include:
- a graduate qualification (bachelor’s degree) in a related field
- at least 3 years of event-related experience, with experience with the UN, Member States, NGOs, or international organisations is desirable
- experience with MS Office applications (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook), WordPress, Eventbrite, and Mailchimp software or equivalent is required
- full professional proficiency in English, knowledge of other language(s) is desirable
- strong ability to establish priorities, multitask, and work within tight timelines
- ability to work independently and report work activities in a timely and proactive manner
- solid interpersonal and problem-solving skills demonstrated by the ability to work in a multicultural environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity and Gender Parity
UNU is an inclusive employer and endeavors to create culture of inclusiveness. Applications from suitably qualified female candidates or underrepresented groups are particularly encouraged.
Remuneration will be commensurate with the qualifications and experience of the successful candidate.
Duration of contract
This is a seven-month, temporary full-time position. The successful candidate shall work under a CTC contract. This is a locally recruited post and only those who are eligible to work in the US are eligible to apply.
Interested applicants should submit their applications by e-mail to email@example.com by 9 December 2019 and include the following:
- a cover letter setting out how the qualifications and experience match the requirements of the position
- a curriculum vitae and a completed and signed UNU Personal History (P.11) form; please avoid using similar forms provided by other United Nations organisations
- full contact information of three (3) references
- an indication of the reference number of the vacancy announcement (2019/UNU/CPR/CTC/ECC/84)
Vacancy Announcement: UNU-CPR Events and Communications Coordinator (220.3 KB PDF)