WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance
JOB TITLE: Empact Project Consultant
TYPE OF CONTRACT: Consultancy – Consultant Level I
UNIT/DIVISION: WFP Innovation Accelerator (INKA)
DUTY STATION (City, Country): Munich, Germany
DURATION: 5 months
BACKGROUND AND PURPOSE OF THE ASSIGNMENT:
The World Food Programme (WFP) is the United Nations frontline agency fighting hunger. WFP reaches more than 80 million people every day - delivering food assistance in emergencies and working with smallholder farmers, communities and governments to improve Nutrition and build resilience.
The WFP Innovation Accelerator has been named one of the top 10 innovative companies 2017 by FastCompany for operating a real start-up accelerator to disrupt global hunger at the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP). It identifies, supports and scales high potential solutions to hunger worldwide - both WFP innovators and external start-ups with $50-100K cash, hands-on support by our team and access to WFP's global operations in developing countries in a 3-6-month sprint programme. The most promising innovations are supported in scaling further.
To better address these later-stage innovations and support the scaling up of innovations, the WFP Innovation Accelerator has developed a scale-up enablement program and best practice sharing set-up to complement the early-stage acceleration. As a structured approach, the scale-up enablement will provide bespoke support including access to expertise, strategic guidance, access to WFP innovation network and relevant stakeholders within and outside the organization, Fundraising opportunities and other relevant needs on the path to scale. This support addresses both WFP innovations and external start-ups working on solutions to fight global hunger. More information here: http://innovation.wfp.org and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnKkQlRdh2c.
The incumbent, reporting to the Head of Scale-Up Enablement, is expected to:
- Support the implementation and scale-up of the Empact initiative:
a) Compile the diverse existing documentation, including through transcribing the experiences of current project managers and draft new written documents and visuals, for the creation of a new project implementation manual, for implementing teams and for Empact initiative participants;
b) Draft best practice documents, based on compiled information, to enable field colleagues to implement different stages of Empact roll-out on the ground;
c) Collect data and validate the information from WFP Field Operations, such as process outlines, updated template documents, budget formats;
d) Define and plan the roll-out and communications of the new Empact implementation plan;
e) Update an ongoing basis input of data and reporting metrics into online Empact specific or Accelerator online platforms and databases;
f) Support basic activities linked to the budget formation and reporting;
g) Support workshops and events, as needed.
- Support the implementation and roll-out of the Empact communication strategy:
a) Draft communication contents;
c) Coordinating potential communication requests to and from field offices, fact-check information and support the drafting of stories and communication outputs; -
d) Guide field offices in using the Empact communication assets and materials;
e) Perform Desk Research on various topics to support Empact thought leadership, on diverse topics including digital learning and digital work;
f) Draft and prepare of accurate and timely reports on Empact;
g) Write grant proposal and donor reporting documentation, as needed;
- Support the innovation accelerator operations:
a) Provide Analysis & content preparation (data on projects, PowerPoint presentations, briefs, etc.) for corporate priority topics and executive management meetings;
b) Participate and carry out discussions with colleagues in other divisions or external stakeholders on topics related to innovation;
c) Support core processes of the Innovation Accelerator (e.g. innovation sourcing; innovation bootcamps; sprint programme; thought leadership; scale-up enablement) as required;
d) Support the Head of the Innovation Accelerator and the Director of Innovation and Knowledge Management with any other activities as required.
DELIVERABLES AT THE END OF THE CONTRACT:
- All the documents and presentations developed during the contract are well documented and available for the project supported by the WFP Innovation Accelerator;
- Empact Implementation Manual is fully compiled and completed;
- Effective support of operations of the Innovation Accelerator.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
Bachelor’s degree in communications, economics, political science preferred, Master’s degree a plus.
At least 3 years of experience in communications, writing, project management or equivalent position.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Previous role in an education/vocational training establishment or company (online or offline) is a plus.
- Experience in communication within a global organization require.
- Strong conceptual thinking to develop new communication activities and coordinate projects.
- Ability to produce high-quality written materials, including graphically based PowerPoint presentations as well as text documents.
- Ability to interact with stakeholders with maturity and tact.
- Collaborative spirit able to liaise with a wide range of people at all levels and across different cultures and to act with credibility and diplomacy.
- Strong time management skills with an ability to plan ahead, anticipate requirements, problems and obstacles, and an ability to juggle competing priorities successfully, and to work to tight deadlines.
- Self-motivated and able to work with a high degree of autonomy.
- Fully committed and motivated to achieve the aims of the UN World Food Programme.
Fluency in oral and written English is mandatory. Intermediate knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian and Spanish) or Portuguese (one of WFP’s working languages) is a plus.
Terms and Conditions
WFP offers a competitive compensation package which will be determined by the contract type and selected candidate’s qualifications and experience.
Please visit the following websites for detailed information on working with WFP.
Deadline for applications: 15 June 2020
Ref.: VA No. 122250
Qualified female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.