Long Description OVERVIEW Parent Sector : Education Sector (ED) Duty Station: Amman Job Family: Education Type of contract : Non Staff Level : Level 5 Duration of contract : 1 year Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 16-AUG-2020 UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST Since 2019, UNESCO has been implementing the System Strengthening Partnership (SSP) programme to support the Ministry of Education (MoE) in strengthening evidence-based strategic policy-making, and coordination at the MoE. More specifically, through this 3-year, multi-partnership programme, currently funded by Canada, and AICS, with the EU expected to join in 2020, UNESCO is providing Technical Support to the MoE in areas of data collection, Analysis and utilization, by reinforcing the MoE’s capacity to maintain, manage and utilize the OpenEMIS platform, while also strengthening the core functions of planning and budgeting, monitoring and reporting, research and evaluation, data and information management, and development cooperation. The first phase of OpenEMIS was completed in 2017, when phase I of OpenEMIS was adapted and customized to the Jordanian educational system, according to the requirements of the Ministry of Education. In January 2019, a comprehensive assessment of Jordan’s OpenEMIS was commissioned by UNESCO. Building on the recommendations and lessons learnt from the assessment, the outcomes led to the development of an EMIS roadmap, detailing the key requirements for OpenEMIS in phase II. At this stage, UNESCO has supported the MoE in developing its EMIS Operational Workplan, building on the recommendations of the EMIS roadmap, and providing technical guidance on the needed developments of OpenEMIS Phase II. The technical development of the infrastructure, as well as Capacity Building for MoE , and QRC staff will begin in August 2020.  The EMIS roadmap is an operational workplan consisting of work streams associated with a timeline, a cost, a risk mitigation plan, levels of priority, and clear roles and responsibilities. Its’ objective is to improve and strengthen the current OpenEMIS in Jordan, not only through the technical aspects, but also in the institutional and coordination aspects. Long Description In parallel, as it is important to establish the enabling environment for EMIS rapidly to support the development and effective operation of OpenEMIS, UNESCO will support the MoE in developing their EMIS Policy, covering the organizational structure and institutional processes, as well as the reactivation of the EMIS Technical Committee to improve the internal management and coordination of EMIS. Within this context, UNESCO is seeking technical support to provide the required technical back stopping to successfully improve the enabling environment of EMIS at the MoE. More specifically, the EMIS technical Advisor will be expected to provide his/her technical advice to support the development of the EMIS Policy, as well as to support the strengthening of the MoE capacity in the management, institutionalization, and coordination of EMIS. Moreover, the technical advisor will provide the required technical support and guidance throughout the implementation of the MoE EMIS Operational Workplan as needed. Under the overall authority and guidance from the Head of the UNESCO Amman Office, and Education Programme Specialist, as well as the direct supervision of the Project Officer for the System Strengthening Partnership Programme, the EMIS technical advisor will be responsible for carrying out the following tasks and responsibilities in support of: 1) Coordination:Apply Now
- Provide technical support to the MoE in the reactivation of the EMIS Technical Committee to guide and advise on the Administration and management of OpenEMIS in Jordan (e.g. update of the EMIS Technical Committee ToRs).
- Support the coordination and organization of the EMIS Technical Committee as well as provide technical advice as needed, including coordination of inputs to key strategic documents such as the EMIS policy.
- Provide technical support to UNESCO and the MoE in coordinating the consultation process and finalization of the EMIS policy to fully institutionalize EMIS functioning within MoE. This includes building a close and continuous coordination with Queen Rania Centre, and the Managing Department of Educational Planning and Research, as well as all other relevant MoE departments, to fully utilize the OpenEMIS in the decision-making and policy building process.
- Conduct field evaluations/consultations/technical surveys, time-tabling of activities, costing and the release of deliverables that will be further required for the enhancement and decentralisation of the Jordan’s OpenEMIS.
- Support in the review, adaptation of existing data collection instruments or tools and development and implementation of new data quality control procedures at all levels and all data sources
- Support the Pilot-test and consolidation of the new OpenEMIS Jordan in selected sample schools and field directorates.
- Support the development, testing and implementation of a web-based, user-friendly content management system with data visualization and indicators reporting interfaces adapted for various levels of MoE users.
- Support in the development of detailed documentation of all modifications, extensions and enhancements required to the features of OpenEMIS Jordan.
- Support the technical and functional analysis of data integration challenges of different existing internal or external database sources into a coherent data warehouse (e.g. Geographical Information System etc.) and implementation of solutions considered feasible, most sustainable and most cost-effective for the MoE-Jordan.
- Assist in the design, content, organization, and delivery of Capacity Development activities, resources and tools, where required, for the benefit of MoE staff in QRC, the MoE Department of Educational Planning and Research, and other relevant MoE Departments, as well as for directorates of education and school management teams.