The Fiscal Affairs Department of the International Monetary Fund is looking for candidates to fill Economist/Senior Economist positions in its Revenue Administration 1 Division. The positions require relevant senior Capacity Development (CD) experience in revenue administration. The successful applicant for the positions will be expected to participate and may lead Technical Assistance programs in a wide range of countries, covering such topics as:
- Advice on improvements to the organization and management of tax and/or customs administrations.
- Advice on modernizing procedures for the assessment and collection of taxes, customs duties, and social Security contributions.
- Development of balanced service and enforcement compliance programs.
- Development and management of medium-term CD projects to support the Design and implementation of country authorities’ revenue reforms.
- Analysis of tax revenue trends, performance in main tax administration operations, and tax gaps in the main tax types.
The successful applicant may be required to backstop revenue administration experts working in member countries or regional CD centers covered by the division. The applicant will also support the division's research and analytic efforts and may be involved in participating in Fund program and surveillance missions when revenue administration issues are part of the focus of these missions.
General requirements for candidates include:
- A university degree or equivalently recognized qualification relevant to professional work.
- Extensive experience in a customs administration at a senior management level—including several years of direct experience in a customs headquarters at a senior management level, with exposure to general tax administration issues also being an advantage.
- Strong oral and written communication skills in English, and ideally with French Language capability.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, and ability to work as part of a team, to maintain effective and cooperative relations with national authorities as well as donors, and to handle sensitive issues with discretion in a multicultural environment.
- Willingness to undertake significant international travel.
In addition, the following qualifications and experiences are highly desirable:
Leading or participating in the design and implementation of major customs policy and administration reforms in developed and/or developing countries.
Sound understanding of effective customs policies and administrative approaches for developing countries, based on a combination of theoretical and practical experience.