The Financial Supervision and Regulation Division (FR) leads the Monetary and Capital Markets Department (MCM)’s work on policy analysis, technical advice, international liaison and standards assessments in the areas of prudential and conduct-of-business regulation and supervision in the financial sector. Key outputs of the division include:
(i) assessments of member country financial regulatory and supervisory frameworks conducted in the context of the financial sector assessment program (FSAP);
(ii) advice and assistance to country authorities in the context of the technical assistance program and other bilateral engagements;
(iii) development and dissemination of policy positions and priorities both within the Fund, international forums and externally;
(iv) managing the engagement of the Fund in international forums and standard setting bodies in regulation and supervision of banks and non-banks
(v) backstopping long term technical assistance experts placed in member countries and Fund’s regional capacity development centers; and
(vi) promoting and supporting research projects and policy papers including on the impact analysis of regulatory reforms and their implementation.
In carrying out its responsibilities, the Division works closely with the World Bank, Financial Stability Board; international standard setting bodies and national regulatory and supervisory agencies on the development and implementation of financial supervision and regulation policies and related institutional frameworks.
The FR division is staffed primarily by specialized mid-career experts drawn from central banks and supervisory agencies, working together with a team of IMF macroeconomists. The Division Chief is expected to oversee and organize the division's activities, as well as effectively manage and develop his/her team. He/she is assisted by three Deputy Division Chiefs. The Division Chief is expected to lead a broad range of missions, including FSAP missions, and represent MCM in international forums. The Division Chief reports to the Deputy Director in the Immediate Office of MCM.
The successful candidate must have an excellent understanding of policy and operational aspects of financial sector supervision and regulation; experience as a member of the senior management team of a central bank or supervisory agency is desirable. In particular, the candidate should possess the following qualifications:
- Advanced degree in economics, finance, or a related field.
- Hands on experience in financial sector supervision and regulation
- Sound policy judgment and proven analytical skills;
- Demonstrated management experience at the senior level with a proven track record of fostering team spirit, effectively managing multi-disciplinary teams, and organizing work on cross-cutting issues;
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to work constructively with Fund departments and other international financial organizations, and country authorities;
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines, work well under pressure, and multi-task;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.