The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Completion of secondary school education. A post-secondary certificate in the related functional area is desirable. A Bachelor Degree in agriculture, nutrition, public health, social sciences is desirable
Language: Fluency in both oral and written communication in English and LaosORGANIZATIONAL CONTEXT
These jobs are found primarily in WFP Field based Offices, and job holders typically report to Programme Policy Officer or Programme Associate. The reporting lines may change depending on the size of the office.
At this level job holders are expected to take responsibility for completion of a range of processes and activities related to monitoring that require some interpretation of standard guidelines/practices. Job holders are able to recommend a course of action to staff at various levels and may allocate tasks to other support staff.
WFP is looking for a District Community Facilitators (Monitoring Assistant) SC5/SC4 to be based at Bounneau District, Phongsaly Province in order to coordinate and perform monitoring activities within a specific coverage area and provide reports to support the effective delivery of assistance packages.KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
The District Community Facilitator under the direct supervision of the Programme Associate in the field office, will undertake the following tasks:
• Support implementation of WFP-assisted project activities in District, mobilizing communities to ensure increased ownership and resolving bottlenecks.
• Coordinate and monitor the implementation of the assistance programme at the local level, in close collaboration with the implementing partners and communities.
• Monitor and review the overall commodity movements such as food deliveries, storage, transport and distribution at the site and verify if the amounts received have been properly recorded, damaged or suspected to be damaged.
• Support and liaise with District authorities of Education, Health, Agriculture and other related Departments for the smooth implementation of WFP-supported activities.
• Collaborate with Lao Front for National Development district focal point on monitoring and community mobilization efforts in targeted villages.
• Support the Monitoring & Evaluation unit in collecting and uploading data.4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Helps teammates articulate WFP’s Strategic Objectives.
- Be a force for positive change: Suggests potential improvements to team’s work processes to supervisor.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Explains the impact of WFP activities in beneficiary communities to teammates.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Articulates how own unit’s responsibilities will serve WFP’s mission.
- Look for ways to strengthen people's skills: Trains junior teammates on new skills and capabilities.
- Create an inclusive culture: Seeks opportunities to work with people from different backgrounds.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Serves as a peer coach for colleagues in same area of work.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Tracks progress toward goals and shares this information on a regular basis with supervisor.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Explores ways to consistently be more efficient and accurate in own areas of work and shares new methods of work with colleagues.
- Focus on getting results: Focuses on getting results and tracks trends in completion rates for own tasks to identify opportunities for efficiency.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Takes responsibility for own tasks and notifies supervisor as soon as possible of potential delays in meeting deadlines or commitments.
- Be Decisive: Independently decides what action to take when faced with critical choices in the workplace or in dangerous situations in the field.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Suggests opportunities for partnering with other units to supervisor.
- Build strong external partnerships: Identifies opportunities to work with colleagues and partners in the field towards common goals.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Develops an understanding of the value of WFP’s teams and external partners in fulfilling team’s goals and objectives.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Aligns own activities with supervisor’s priorities to fulfill internal and external partner needs.
planned and reached for all programme assistance modalities and activities.Programme Monitoring and Review Gathers, organizes, and provides data on programme outputs, processes, and outcomes, including distribution plans and the status, quantity, and quality of food and cash distributed and technical assistance provided.OTHER SPECIFIC JOB REQUIREMENTS
This section is optional to describe additional responsibilities & knowledge required for the specific jobDESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- At least four years of experience in conducting field community development activities and assisting in providing training in the area of international development.
- Good interpersonal skills and proficiency in interacting with government partners at all levels, including international organizations.
- Excellent community mobilizing, engagement with villagers and facilitation skills.
- Excellent word processing skills and excel skills.
- Knowledge of database and data analysis is an asset.
- Experience working in difficult locations with people of different backgrounds.
- Knowledge of the area of activity is an asset.
- At least two years of experience in conducting field community development activities.
- Good interpersonal skills and proficiency in interacting with government partners at all levels.
- Good community mobilizing, engagement with villagers and facilitation skills.
- Good computer skills and knowledge of database and data analysis is an asset.
- Knowledge of the area of activity is an asset.
ontract type: Service Contract (for Lao national only)
Post title: District Community Faciliitator (Monitoring Assistant) SC5/SC4
Duration: 12 months (renewable)
Duty Station: Bounneau District, Phongsaly Province
Qualified women and men are encouraged to apply. WFP is committed to an inclusive working environment which values diversity and has zero tolerance for discrimination, harassment and abuse of any kind. WFP provides necessary arrangement to ensure staff safety when travel to remote areas.
WFP is committed to gender equality and parity (50% women and 50% men) and to diversity more generally, among employees across all grades, functions and contract modalities. WFP supports the use of flexible working arrangements to assist women and men in balancing work and personal responsibilities, translating into effective, efficient and dedicated participation of women and men in the workforce. WFP offers an attractive salary and other benefits, including annual leave, parental leave and health insurance for staff and eligible dependents.DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
Posting date: 21 May 2020
Closing date: 3 June 2020
Female applicants are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.