Please note that all candidates should adhere to CTBTO Values of Integrity, Professionalism and Respect for Diversity.
Qualified female applicants and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
A roster of suitable candidates may be established for similar positions at the same level as a result of this selection process for a period of two (2) years.
The Preparatory Commission for the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty Organization with its headquarters in Vienna is the international organization setting up the global verification system foreseen under the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty (CTBT), which is the treaty banning any nuclear-weapon-test explosion or any other nuclear explosion. The Treaty provides for a global verification regime, including a network of 337 stations worldwide, a communications system, an international data centre and on-site inspections to monitor compliance.Organizational Setting
This position is located in the International Data Centre Division (IDC).Reporting Lines
Under the broad guidance of the Executive Secretary to:Duties and Responsibilities
- Plan, coordinate and direct the programme of activities of the division for the achievement of the work programme;
- Assess and interpret policy issues, establish and adapt procedures and practices to improve effectiveness and efficiency and to respond to a wide variety of concerns relevant to the work of the division;
- Guide activities for the development of priority programmes and ensure co-ordination to enhance team work;
- Direct the preparation of the programme and budget for the division, confer with senior managers, appraise inputs and outcomes and ascertain that objectives and priorities are in line with higher management strategic goals; present the division’s budget at meetings of senior managers and the Preparatory Commission and its Subsidiary Bodies;
- Appraise the achievement of goals set within the division and examine with senior managers risks and prospects with a view to ensuring enhanced co-ordination, teamwork and continued maximum efficiency in the allocation and use of human and financial resources;
- Work with States Signatories to assure that the IDC Division provides effective services as required by the CTBT and report to the Preparatory Commission and its Subsidiary Bodies on IDC and related issues;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Advanced university degree, preferably at Ph.D. level, in geophysics or a related field.
- At least fifteen (15) years of relevant experience at the national and/or international level of which at least five (5) years should have been in a senior managerial position preferably in a multi-cultural international environment, and proven ability to accomplish aims set by States Signatories;
- Capacity to provide leadership to guide and motivate staff, demonstrating a high sense of objectivity and professional integrity, as well as ability to build trust and to manage, lead and motivate a large and diverse group of staff in a multicultural environment with respect for diversity.
- Demonstrated ability and initiative, political sensitivity, tact and excellent judgement, including strong analytical and negotiation skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English are essential;
- Knowledge of other official CTBTO languages is desirable.
- Professionalism - Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
- Communication- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Planning and organizing - Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts printouts as requested; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently
- Teamwork - Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organisational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others' ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; builds consensus for task purpose and direction with team members; supports and acts in accordance with final group decisions, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Accountability - Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honors commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
- Creativity - Actively seeks to improve programmes or services; offers new and different options to solve problems or meet client needs; promotes and persuades others to consider new ideas; takes calculated risks on new and unusual ideas; thinks “outside the box”; takes an interest in new ideas and new ways of doing things; is not bound by current thinking or traditional approaches.
- Client orientation – Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive relationships with clients by gaining their trust and respect.; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress and setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to clients.
- Commitment to continuous learning - Keeps abreast of new developments in own occupation/profession; actively seeks to develop oneself professionally and personally; contributes to the learning of colleagues and subordinates; shows willingness to learn from others; seeks feedback to learn and improve.
- Technological Awareness - Keeps abreast of available technology; understands applicability and limitations of technology to the work of the office; actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks, shows willingness to learn new technology.
CTBTO offers an attractive compensation and benefits package in accordance with the policies of the International Civil Service Commission. For more information on UN salaries, allowances and benefits, see link: http://www.un.org/Depts/OHRM/salaries_allowances/salary.htm). The salary offered may be subject to deductions to the United Nations Joint Staff Pension Fund and Health Insurance Scheme.
- All applications must be submitted through the CTBTO e-Recruitment system before the deadline stated in the vacancy announcement.
- The CTBTO Preparatory Commission retains the discretion not to make any appointment to this vacancy; to make an appointment at a lower grade in particular if the candidate has less than the qualifications required; to make an appointment with a modified job description, or to offer a contract term for a shorter duration than indicated in the vacancy announcement.
- Please note that the CTBTO will only consider academic credentials or degrees obtained from an educational institution recognized in the IAU/UNESCO list.
- The CTBTO reserves the right to undertake correspondence only with shortlisted candidates.
- Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to a reference-checking process or be requested to provide performance assessments.