Post Number : ODG 070
Grade : D-2
Parent Sector : Office of the Director-General (CAB)
Duty Station: Paris
Job Family: Programme Coordination
Type of contract : Fixed Term
Duration of contract : 2 years
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 01-JUL-2020 RE-ADVERTISED
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
(Candidates who applied during the first advertisement continue to be considered and do not need to apply again.)OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
UNESCO has always been at the forefront of the efforts to support women’s rights, women’s empowerment and Gender Equality and made its greatest commitment thus far to the achievement of gender equality by designating Gender Equality as one of two Global Priorities for the 2008-2013 Medium-Term Strategy period (which was maintained for the next Medium-Term Strategy from 2014-2021).
UNESCO’s vision of gender equality is in line with relevant international instruments such as the Convention on the Elimination of all Forms of Violence against Women (CEDAW) and the Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action (1995). Gender equality is central to UNESCO’s overarching objectives of peace and sustainable development. UNESCO has a unique role to play in this area as the agency with five distinct Major Programmes, each with a specific mandate, who can work together to promote gender equality in a holistic manner and thus make an original contribution to development outcomes in terms of gender equality.
The Division of Gender Equality builds individual and organizational capacity for gender transformative programmes as well as an enabling environment for gender equality through mandatory gender equality training. The Division is also responsible for raising awareness on the intersectionality of gender in all areas of society and on Gender Equality issues at large.
Leading the Division for Gender Equality, the Director serves as the main Advisor to the Organization on the strategic and policy issues in the areas of gender equality. As a member of the Strategic Management Board of the Organization, the Director provides intellectual, strategic and operational leadership for the promotion of gender equality in all UNESCO programmes and initiatives. S/he manages the Division as well as the Gender Focal Point Networks in Headquarters and in the Field Offices/Institutes.Under the general authority of the Director-General of UNESCO, the incumbent acts as the focal point for UNESCO’s Priority Gender Equality and shall, specifically:
• Exercise leadership in providing vision/strategic planning and in establishing priorities for UNESCO’s policies and programming in support of gender equality, women’s rights and women’s empowerment, including the drafting and implementation of UNESCO Priority Gender Equality Action Plans, in all UNESCO domains of competence (in accordance with UNESCO’s Governing Bodies decisions and the Director-General’s directives);
• Report to the Director-General on critical issues and provide advice to the Director-General and the Strategic Management Board on emerging issues/trends in relation to gender equality in UNESCO domains;
• Assess the overall programme performance and results in the implementation of Priority Gender Equality;
• Represent the Organization within the United Nations system, including other international organizations and multi-lateral lending agencies, and with the Member States with a view to promote UNESCO’s positions/messages regarding gender equality;
• Monitor gender balance in the Secretariat, in cooperation with UNESCO’s Bureau of Human Resources Management (HRM).
▪ Advanced university degree (Master’s degree) in gender/women’s studies, development studies, programme management, human rights, public or business Administration or other related fields
▪ A minimum of 15 years of progressively responsible and relevant professional experience in the field of gender equality and/or women’s empowerment related disciplines, or in related fields, at national and international level.
▪ Experience in Gender Mainstreaming at different levels – within government institutions, international organizations, international non-governmental organizations and in Design/implementation/monitoring/evaluation of initiatives focusing on gender equality and women’s empowerment.
▪ Experience in the development, planning, implementation, monitoring and reporting of gender transformative programmes and projects.
▪ Demonstrated leadership in professional networks.
▪ Commitment to the Organization’s mandate, vision and priorities.
▪ Ability to exercise intellectual authority, as well as provide and manage Advisory Services.
▪ High sense of professional integrity, objectivity, strong analytical capabilities, diplomacy and political astuteness.
▪ Strategic and leadership skills in a multilateral setting with the ability to establish and maintain effective and constructive working relations in a highly political environment with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
▪ Strong sense of impartiality objectivity and positive attitude towards the Organization and its goals.
▪ Highly developed analytical and communication skills and the ability to quickly grasp complex issues and produce solution.
▪ Excellent communication skills with strong representational abilities.
▪ Excellent knowledge of English or French, with excellent drafting skills, and good working level of the other.
▪ Other degrees or short-to medium-term training in disciplines relevant to the post (i.e. project/programme management certification).
▪ Senior-level assignments at the international level and/or within the United Nations system.
▪ Proven ability to function effectively at the highest governmental levels, and to build collaborative partnerships and networks.
▪ Professional experience gained in multicultural working environments.
▪ Knowledge of the Organization and its methods of work.
▪ Knowledge of the United Nations system and/or other international organizations/institutions.
▪ Knowledge of United Nations intergovernmental processes including those related to women’s empowerment, gender mainstreaming and gender equality.
▪ Sound knowledge of international standards on human rights, women’s rights and related instruments.
▪ Ability to identify efficiencies and address operational challenges in processes through innovative methods and solutions.
▪ Knowledge of another official language of UNESCO (Arabic, Chinese, Russian, Spanish).
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
For more information in benefits and entitlements, please consult ICSC website.ASSESSMENT
Evaluation of qualified applicants may include an assessment exercise and a competency-based interview.Footer
UNESCO applies a zero tolerance policy against all forms of harassment.
UNESCO is committed to achieve and sustain gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities, as well as nationals from non-and under-represented Member States (last update here) are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts. UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.