Design Lab 360 is seeking a Data Visualization intern (unpaid) for 3 months starting June 2020. The successful candidate will be exposed to topics in humanitarian assistance and will have a strong background in design research and the application of conceptual thinking to evidence-based theories and creative solutions. Ideally, the candidate will have been exposed to and have an advanced understanding of and passion for the role of human development in global society. Research gathered and presented will be used to inform how data visualizations can amplify FHI 360’s global communication strategies. The internship will be carried out under the supervision of highly experienced senior staff member(s) of the team and will provide sufficient coaching and exposure to the subject matter.
Specific Job Functions
- Explore a range of data visualization methods and techniques to support the internal development of meaningful creative solutions for a variety of evidence-based initiatives.
- Explore and employ a range of industry standard and cutting-edge software
- Explore a range of omni-channel solutions and methodologies
- Partner with Design Lab and internal clients to create infographics, diagrams and illustrations that demonstrate a passion for storytelling with an acute care for accuracy
- Design and deliver a Data Visualization Tool-Kit to guide the collaborative development of meaningful visual solutions
- Conduct an audit of cross-functional teams and internal systems to identify areas of greatest opportunity for process development and information share
- Make process recommendations derived from industry best practices and an intimate understanding of internal roles and varying processes
- Host an internal presentation of said data Tool-Kit, engaging a diverse audience of designers, researchers, scientists and communication specialists in the detailed learnings and resulting recommendations.
- Conduct a landscape analysis to determine growth potential and creative development opportunities outside of the current Design Lab network
LEARNING OPPORUNITY - The Intern will gain practical experience to supplement academic studies by:
- Exploring and learning both industry and standard cutting-edge software and methods of Data Visualization
- Directly applying software and methodology learnings to the creation of original Data Visualizations for current research projects
- Working within a design team and learning about practicalities of operating in this field
- How to effectively conduct a collaborative and highly iterative creative process for a variety of audiences in a fast-paced environment
- Graduate level student with focus in human development and design
Skills and abilities:
Candidates must have:
- Experience applying quantitative methods for research and evolution, specific to the fields of design and human development
- Experience collaborating in an iterative environment on human-centered solutions designed to spur social innovation
- Demonstrated understanding of the creative process and the role of strategy in the development of deliberate design solutions
- In depth understanding of linguistics and the impact of translation on interpretation and messaging in design a plus
- Ability to synthesize complex data and develop succinct summaries of the tools, methodologies, evaluations
- Experience in international cross-cultural training and education preferred
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite software products (Adobe Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Acrobat)
Typical Physical Demands:
- N/A – remote work using technology (e.g Laptop)
Technology to be Used:
- Personal Computer, Microsoft Office (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.), e-mail.
- N/A remote work
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.