- Continuously improve our measurement eval and research approaches (refining measurement constructs, identifying cross-cutting MLE needs, scoping research topics, approving investments, etc)
- Collaborate with grantees/ partners to support their measurement and evaluation approaches
- Leverage research and evaluation insights to advise fellow Deputies on portfolio improvement opportunities and respond to senior Foundation leadership requests
- Report on strategy progress and critical lessons learned (data-driven storytelling to inform Senior Leadership and board on progress and future strategic opportunities)
- Lead impact modeling at the strategy, initiative and Body of Work levels
- Direct and manage Data Collection, organization/curation, visualization and Analysis to support the above items
- Lead 5-person team of direct reports (and co-lead 45-person strategy with other PS Leadership Team Members) to ensure staff align career goals and development to support strategy execution while bringing their best individual and collective selves to work in order to strengthen team culture and operations.
- Collaborate with peers to develop quality team learning experiences that are actionable and responsive to emerging insights and the needs of programmatic staff.
- Drive team-wide use of the data and insights to support strategy development, investment planning and outcomes tracking
- Externalize our measurement learning, evaluation and research as a public good to support and inform postsecondary success lever for system change (share our most critical insights with field partners through publishing, speaking at conferences, etc)
- Communicate, collaborate, and coordinate with colleagues in USP Data and MLE leadership in order to create and take advantage of cross-division opportunities.
Core Knowledge, Skills and Capabilities Required for Success
- Analytical Thinking: Uses facts and available information to develop logical assumptions. Discriminates between important and unimportant details, recognizes inconsistencies between facts and/or data (particularly nuanced higher ed data), and draws correct inferences from information (includes differentiating, comparing, contrasting, linking, researching) at both macro and micro level
- Collaboration/ Relationship Building: Develops and maintains effective working relationships with team members and internal partners through strong interpersonal skills; builds effective external partnerships with senior leaders in education, government, business and non-profits
- DEI Mindset: Understands and values differences in others. Seeks input from and values the uniqueness of people of different groups and cultures. Challenges practices or policies that may be exclusionary. Understands how to use research and evaluation data as a tool to identify and address inequities
- Excellent Leadership and Management: Proven contributor to team strength within direct management and across broader, interconnected and geographically dispersed teams
- Exemplary Written and Verbal Communicator: Synthesizes and extracts meaning from complex bodies of work and effectively communicates key insights and takeaways to diverse audiences. Strong facility preparing and presenting executive-level information (via powerpoint, executive memos, etc) and able to develop and incorporate new frameworks and tools in real-time during meetings
- Higher Education context: Understands the diversity of sector missions, objectives, and resources; can interpret research and evaluation accordingly
- Recognized internally & externally by the professional community as an expert within the field
- Structuring research, measurement and evaluation approaches: Applies rigorous and field-accepted approaches across each of these areas to execute end to end complex Project Management
Education and Background
- BA/ BS required
- Advanced degree with 10+ years of experience (preferably at Educational Institutions serving primarily low-income students and students of color, or equivalent experience.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience managing teams of 4+ high performing staff members
- Preferred backgrounds in education (either Institutional Research or as an Educational Researcher or Evaluator) and consulting
As part of our standard hiring process for new employees, employment with the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation will be contingent upon successful completion of a background check.The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation is dedicated to the belief that all lives have equal value. We’re committed to creating a workplace where employees thrive both personally and professionally. We also believe our employees should reflect the rich diversity of the global populations we aim to serve—in race, gender, age, cultures and beliefs—and we support this diversity through all of our employment practices.