We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of Deputy Chief of Party, Technical Lead for an upcoming USAID-funded opportunity in Nigeria entitled, Leveraging Education Assistance Resources in Nigeria (LEARN). This position will be based in Nigeria – in Abuja or field offices in the project’s target states – and is contingent upon award.
The anticipated Leveraging Education Assistance Resources in Nigeria (LEARN) Program will support the government of Nigeria to accelerate the mastery of reading skills for children in the early primary grades in select states of Nigeria. The anticipated 5-year activity is expected to build upon the results of the existing USAID Northern Education Initiative Plus, improving reading outcomes for Nigerian pupils in grades 1-3 by helping Nigerian government institutions and schools effectively leverage their resources and ensuring program schools are safe, supportive, and conducive to learning. Under the guidance of the Chief of Party, the DCOP-Technical will provide technical leadership, develop technical strategies and oversee the technical implementation of LEARNigeria.
- Coordinate closely with the Chief of Party (COP) on all technical matters;
- Provide technical expertise and leadership for the Design and implementation of the technical program areas and daily oversight of project activities;
- Provide guidance and supervision to technical staff and ensure clear roles and responsibilities and maintain clear lines of communication with project team members;
- Collaborate with in-country technical advisors and headquarter-based technical staff to ensure the project is implemented according to organization and industry best practices, program framework, and regulations;
- Oversee technical outputs of all partner organizations through regular field visits and facilitate work planning and regular technical meetings for all consortium partners;
- Provide support to the overall leadership and management of the project, ensuring strategic program direction, managed growth, and compliance with organizational policies and procedures and donor regulations;
- Oversee project Monitoring and Evaluation activities in collaboration with the relevant team lead;
- Promote sustainability of project activities with effective networking, Coordination and linkages to other programs, partners and counterparts, Capacity Building of project staff, and institutional strengthening of implementing partners and community-based organizations;
- Contribute to timely and accurate donor reporting;
- Supervise the recruitment, hiring, and management of technical staff and consultants;
- Support Performance Management and professional development of direct reports, including ongoing feedback, coaching, and career support;
- Represent the project in technical meetings, conferences, and coordination platforms;
- Serve as the primary technical program representative in the absence/temporary leave of the COP.
- Master’s degree (preferred) in education, social sciences, or related field;
- Minimum of 8 years of progressively responsible technical management experience in support of large-scale international development programs;
- Experience with USAID-funded projects preferred;
- Proven leadership in implementation of similar-sized international donor education-related technical assistance projects, preferably in Nigeria or the region;
- Effective strategic planning, program evaluation, and project management skills;
- Strong consultative and negotiation skills;
- Ability to build positive working relationships with Local Communities, government officials, and donor representatives;
- Ability to analyze and establish effective and supportive cross-program coordination, organizational procedures, and Management Systems;
- Must have demonstrated ability to work in complex environments, work across different cultures, and manage diverse teams to deliver impact within agreed timelines;
- Fluent in English.
- Proficiency in Hausa preferred
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.