Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international humanitarian aid organization that provides assistance in more than 60 countries to populations in distress, to victims of natural or manmade disasters and to victims of armed conflicts, without discrimination and irrespective of origin, religion, creed or political affiliation. To support this work, the General Direction of the MSF Operational Centre Brussels (OCB) is looking for a:
Creative Content Team Leader (m/f)
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) has the challenging ambition to go beyond its medical and humanitarian work by speaking out about the plight of the people we assist. The revised vision for MSF communication requires boldness and focuses on the crises and people rather than MSF’s reputation.
This is the responsibility of all staff, but in practice, this capacity to convey strong messages lies with communication professionals across the MSF movement, both in the field and at the headquarters.
The COMBO Unit is a team of 13 communication, audio-visual and digital professionals that delivers high level strategic and production support to MSF’s operations. It serves the Brussels Operational Centre (OCB) of MSF and is part of the Communication and Fundraising Department in Brussels.
The Unit’s main tasks are to develop communications strategies and positioning on specific contexts and to support the field teams with their communication. The Unit also provides information, tools and dedicates time and energy to supporting the communications professionals based in the field.
As part of the COMBO Unit, the C**reative Content Team Leader** manages the daily activities of the team and supports and supervises its members: a Video Editor, a Photo Production Advisor, a Digital Adviser and a Motion Graphic Designer. S/he is responsible of the production, delivery and monitoring of audio-visual and digital content as well as the vision that guides that work. S/he develops policies and standards, including quality standards, for photo, video, cross-media and other digital contents and makes sure these are applied.
Although the Creative Content Team Leader spends most of his/her time in Brussels, S/he is expected to travel to project locations from time to time, as well as to MSF offices abroad.
1. Vision, strategy, and processes
- Provides leadership and strategic vision for OCB’s audio-visual content production;
- Develops policies and standards for video and cross-media content;
- Stays up to date on latest developments in technology tools and methods to propose and implement innovation for operational communication
- Determines the mid- and long-term objectives of the Creative Content team, including resources.
- Represents OCB on intersectional audio-visual and digital platforms and working groups.
- Works closely with the Communications and Audiovisual Coordinator in order to identify and set the priorities of the Creative Content Team and report on any important development.
- Provides Technical Support and advice to field communications managers.
- Identifies digital training needs within the Operational and Audiovisual Communications Unit and among field communication staff and organizes internal training / briefing sessions
- Determines priorities for his/her team that faces requests from many different departments
- Is responsible for the development, update and implementation of ethical and technical standards and guidelines.
- Is ultimately responsible for the maintenance of the high value audio-visual equipment.
2. HR Management
- In cooperation with the Communications and Audiovisual Coordinator, defines and puts in place the best setup to support operational communication with audiovisual and digital expertise.
- Supports team members in the Creative Content Unit and oversees their daily activities;
- Organizes the work and production planning of the team, supervises and provides support to team members to ensure the achievement of identified priorities;
- Conducts evaluations and proposes corrective measures to guarantee quality and standards;
- Defines job descriptions in the Creative Content Unit, takes part in the recruitment process of the Unit’s team members and supports their professional development;
- Guarantees the Unit’s performance during holidays, sick leaves or else;
- Leads a highly exposed and solicited audio-visual and digital team
3. Content production
- Identifies and produces or oversees the production of video and other digital tools.
- Develops and maintains a network of camera operators and other image/Design professionals.
- Organizes and oversees the collection of video material in the field.
- Travels to MSF projects to film or contracts external camera operators or film crews.
- Develops and maintains a network of key actors within and outside MSF to contact in order to distribute and ensure the usage of the video and digital contents.
- Develops new approaches and standards in cooperation with audio-visual and digital professionals in other OCs and the network.
- Training in Audiovisual, Communications, Journalism
- At least five years of experience in professional production and editing of audiovisual contents and news editing according to broadcast standards
- Proven ability to manage, lead and motivate a team
- Familiar with new audiovisual formats
- Experience in managing complex audiovisual projects including with external contractors
- Experience in developing audiovisual strategies within a large and complex organization
- Experience in managing a budget
- Previous experience in the international humanitarian sector is an advantage
- Good command of English and French (Spanish and Arabic are an asset)
- Excellent command of video editing tools: Final Cut Pro, Avid, Premiere and Adobe Creative Suite essential
- Knowledge of compressing techniques for video and audio for web use.
- Knowledge of HTML, Photoshop, Flash, and other graphics editing software.
- Good writing skills for scripts, captions and subtitling
- Flexibility and ability to work under tight deadlines
- Creativity and sense of initiative
- Availability to travel with short notice to complex security contexts
- Availability to work outside office hours when required.
- Cross-cultural Awareness and Flexibility
- Analytical Thinking
- Information Seeking and Handling
- Quality and Results orientation
- Planning and Organizing
- Initiative and Innovation
- Internal User and/or End Beneficiary orientation
- Capacity to influence
- Teamwork and Networking
- Adherence to MSF principles and to our managerial values: Respect, Transparency, Integrity, Accountability, Trust, Empowerment and to the MSF Behavioral Commitments
- Open-end contract - Full time position - based in Brussels.
- Hospital insurance (DKV) - pension plan - canteen - 100% reimbursement for public transport costs
- Starting date: July 2020