Title: PSI Lesotho Country Representative (CR)
Department: Anglophone Africa Market Group
Based in Maseru, Lesotho
Reports to the Vice President, Anglophone Africa Market Group
Must be legally authorized to work in Lesotho
Who we are
We’re Population Services International (PSI), the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization. We work to make it easier for people in the developing world to lead healthier lives and plan the families they desire by marketing affordable products and services that range from mosquito nets to contraceptives to HIV testing.
There are over 6,000 “PSI’ers” around the world. It’s a diverse group of entrepreneurs and professionals with an unusually wide range of backgrounds - from the medical industry to the music business - all with unique skills we bring to the job.
With support from various international donors, such as the Royal Netherlands Embassy, PEPFAR through CDC, USAID and DoD, Irish Aid, UNFPA, the Vodafone Foundation and UNITAID, PSI has partnered with the Lesotho government since 2001. Through this partnership, PSI utilizes its expertise in social marketing, behavior change communication and program implementation to deliver prevention and treatment products and services in HIV/AIDS and sexual and reproductive health.
Currently, with its flagship NewStart HIV Testing Centers and support from CDC, PSI is the leading community HIV testing partner in Lesotho, directly providing testing services in the 5 high HIV burden lowland districts and working through a sub-award to CHAL to reach to Faith Communities in the highland districts. Additionally, with DoD support, PSI works in partnership with the Lesotho Defense Forces (LDF) to provide comprehensive HIV services, including; VMMC, PrEP, TB, HTS and HIV treatment to Lesotho’s unformed forces.
Over the past 2 years, PSI introduced revolutionary HIV self-testing in Lesotho through support from UNITAID. PSI in Lesotho is highly innovative and utilizes DHIS based systems for data collection and Analysis.
We are looking for a seasoned, national public health leader to take up the Country Representative post based in Maseru, Lesotho and lead the implementation of PSI programs in partnership with the Lesotho government, donors and other stakeholders. The CR should have significant leadership and management experience in difficult environments, proven operational management acumen and experience in motivating and successfully managing large teams. The CR should be a quick lateral thinker, innovative and a decisive decision maker who thrives in new challenges.
Sound like you? Read on.
The CR/Lesotho, reporting to the Vice President, Anglophone Africa Market Group, will assume responsibility for the leadership of PSI/Lesotho, including strategic, programmatic and operational management and oversight for PSI/Lesotho’s contract and grant portfolio. The CR/Lesotho will be responsible for achieving a high level of project performance while assuring compliance with regulations across a range of donors and financial/administrative best practices. Specific tasks include:
Strategic Leadership/Program Planning and Execution
- Lead the strategic planning process, integrating epidemiological context, national priorities, state of the health market to identify where PSI can intervene and align with PSI’s global strategic plan;
- Provide quality and timely management of project lifecycle for all current donor projects including meeting programmatic and financial deliverables;
- Develop innovative distribution systems and/or maintain the existing ones at a high level of effectiveness, including directly managed distribution, as well as, outsourced distribution through partners;
- Supervise and ensure accountability for sub-recipient monitoring, including oversight of programmatic and financial performance;
- Supervise evidence-based research activities to improve program decisions, evaluate and measure program effectiveness and maximize health impact.
- Identify and assess new partners for program implementation;
- Organize country team responses to global, regional and country-level fundraising;
- Liaise with PSI/W for all fundraising opportunities and agree on priorities and next steps;
- Communicate PSI global and country strategy to local donors, partners and authorities with a view to identifying strategic overlap and opportunities.
- Ensure programmatic performance that will achieve or surpass PSI commitments;
- Lead the team to diagnose underperformance and ensure accountability of corrective action plans;
- Ensure PSI/Lesotho fosters an adaptive learning environment, in which PSI continues to learn from and communicate about programmatic success and underperformance;
- Liaise with PSI experts and external consultants to identify strategic, technical or other support;
Financial and Internal Controls
- Support the Deputy Country Representative in ensuring that PSI and donor requirements regarding financial oversight and controls are met and ensure collaboration with appropriate teams in PSI/W;
- Develop and manage annual and project budgets in accordance with donor and PSI/W regulations;
- Meet reporting requirements as required by donors and PSI/Washington;
- Ensure that all PSI financial policies and procedures are followed and validated by internal evaluations and external audits;
- Foster the institutional development of PSI/Lesotho through strategic planning, program development, Human Resource planning and staff Capacity Building;
- Maintain and foster external relations with strategic partners such as government institutions and donors such as the Ministry of Health, CDC, DoD, USAID and foundations, among others;
- Develop and maintain an organizational structure which ensures PSI is staffed to deliver current commitments and prepares for future opportunities. Also, lead downsizing when necessary:
- Build technical, management and leadership capacity of staff;
- Proactively perform risk assessments to identify and mitigate risks, including operational, financial, legal, contractual, reputational and safety. Ensure that mitigation actions are implemented and proactively work with HQ to ensure adequate oversight and support is provided across teams.
- Develop and maintain systems that ensure the safety and security of staff and assets in all aspects of work per best practices, PSI operating standards, and field realities.
- Liaise with the Global Security Department and Vice President, Anglophone Africa on crucial events, high-risk periods, incident reporting and security policy changes;
- Promote and demonstrate an ethical environment in line with PSI’s values of honesty and acting with integrity.
What are we looking for?
The candidate we hire will be a national who embodies PSI’s corporate values
Collaboration: You can work independently, but thrive within a team.
Trust: You trust that your manager and team will have your back and care deeply about gaining that same trust from your teammates
Pragmatism: You dive in and maintain momentum even when things are ambiguous and you don’t let perfect get in the way of good enough.
Honesty: You aren’t afraid to speak up and speak your mind.
Measurement: You set clear and challenging goals and hold yourself accountable to driving measurable results.
Commitment: You’re independent and a free thinker, but you’re ready to buy in to the direction of the team and commit to its success.
- You have at least 10 years of experience managing people, budgets and international public Health Programs of similar size as PSI/Lesotho, in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- You have lived and worked in a developing country.
- You have significant demonstrated experience in government and donor relations and collaboration.
- You have an MBA, MPH, MD or other relevant degree.
- You are fluent in English and Portuguese.
- You have significant demonstrated fundraising, personnel and financial management experience.
- References will be required.
- The sucessful candidate will be required to pass a background check.
What would get us excited?
Experienced manager. You have been a Principal Investigator or Chief of Party a large complex project or Country Director or Resident Advisor of a large development or relief organization before. You can manage a diverse team of professionals to achieve results.
Relationship Builder. You have experience working with Ministries of Health and global health donors. You can identify new donors and partners for programs. You can spot trends and keep the PSI global headquarters informed about health needs and opportunities in Lesotho You are diplomatic in cooling down emotionally charged environments. You are agile in your approach, able to quickly recognize, address and mitigate potential conflicts before they arise.
Capacity Builder. You have experience in building technical, management and leadership capacity.
Collaborative manager. You can inspire a shared vision for the PSI/Lesotho staff. You have successfully helped your staff learn, grow, and thrive in their work
Natural fundraiser. You have experience identifying business opportunities in the Health Sector or securing funds from a wide range of donors
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.
ACCESSIBILITY NOTICE: If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process due to a physical or mental disability, please send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or call (202)785-0072.