“All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment/promotions and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, race, color, religion, national origin, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic. IFES takes affirmative action with respect to the employment and promotion of women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and covered veterans. IFES will also take affirmative action on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity. IFES is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor” About the International Foundation for Electoral Systems (IFES): Together we build democracies that deliver for all. Our independent expertise strengthens electoral institutions/systems and builds local capacity to deliver sustainable solutions. As the global leader in democracy promotion, we advance good governance and democratic rights by providing technical assistance; empowering the underrepresented to participate in the political process; and applying field-based research to improve the electoral cycle. We believe that trusted electoral institutions deliver credible elections, effective governing institutions are accountable to the people they serve, all people safely participate in civic and political life on an equal basis and technology, information and data positively serve elections and democracy. Since 1987, IFES has worked in over 145 countries – from developing to mature democracies. IFES is currently recruiting for a short-term Country Director position for a USAID-funded activity in Jamaica. The program aims to support the Election Commission of Jamaica (ECJ) to implement and enforce new political party and campaign finance regulations during the 2020-2021 electoral process. In addition to working with the ECJ, IFES intends to partner with the Office of the Political Ombudsman (OPO) and one or more Civil Society Organizations in Jamaica. This position would be based in-country and report to IFES’ Vice-President of Programs. The Country Director serves as IFES’ primary in-country representative and Coordinator of programming with local and international counterparts. The primary focus of the position is providing Technical Support to stakeholders and ensuring successful completion of project activities. The Country Director will provide vision and technical leadership for project activities. S/he will be responsible for maintaining proactive contacts with stakeholders and the international community. The Country Director will direct technical implementation of IFES programs within the assigned location and oversee management of the IFES field office. Job Responsibilities: Job Responsibilities: Technical Direction and Program ImplementationApply Now
- Serve as IFES’ senior election technical Advisor, providing technical support and advice to various government and non-government stakeholders.
- Oversee the design, implementation, and evaluation of program strategies and activities in assigned country.
- Lead and/or contribute to written technical reports, briefing papers, and IFES thought pieces, both program-specific and non-program specific. Prepare and manage the implementation of the project(s) annual work plan in fulfillment of the project’s strategic objectives and goals, and within the allocated budget.
- Establish and maintain close working relationships with local government and non-government stakeholders, including high-level officials in government ministries and election management bodies.
- Establish and maintain working relationships with international NGOs and the donor community to ensure successful implementation of the project activities and avoid duplication of efforts.
- Represent IFES in global, regional, national and sub-national events and in international meetings, at donor meetings and other fundraising activities, as speaker and/or spokesperson for IFES.
- Lead the drafting and timely submission of detailed, combined quarterly reports to HQ, and ensure that they meet USAID and IFES reporting requirements.
- Participate in weekly meetings with IFES HQ, providing updates on program activities, progress, and challenges; outreach activities; relevant events in-country; support required from IFES/HQ; and activities planned for the coming period.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Lead the identification, recruitment, and hiring of in-country office staff and/or local and international technical consultants, in Coordination with IFES/HQ.
- Provide general supervision and mentoring of field staff and/or local consultants, including performance appraisals, staff development and other management issues.
- Establish strong working relationships with staff to facilitate the completion of program tasks in a timely manner and within the allocated budget.
- Provide oversight and management of technical consultants, including review of all consultant reports and deliverables.
- Ensure, in conjunction with the IFES HQ team, compliance with IFES and USAID rules and regulations, particularly with respect to fiscal management, reporting, and monitoring and evaluation.