Desired start date: ASAP Duration of the mission: 12 months Location: Maiduguri (with frequent visits to Abuja); or Abuja (with frequent visits to Maiduguri)Apply Now
ABOUT THE MISSIONSI opened its mission in Nigeria in August 2016, establishing its coordination in Maiduguri. With the support of the Emergency DESK, SI mission was able to quickly acquire operational capacity, which was first deployed in Borno State, for implementation of WASH and Food Security Programming. Over the course of 2017-2018, SI expanded the geographical scope of its intervention, and established presence in Monguno, Ngala and Dikwa. The current political and military crisis has affected millions of lives in Nigeria and SI is addressing the needs of displaced populations and host communities in Borno State with a specific expertise in WASH, Food Security and Livelihood (FSL), Shelter and response to AWD/Cholera outbreaks. For the year 2020, the mission has a forecasted budget of more than 9M €. The mission operates from Abuja and Maiduguri, where the coordination is based, and from 3 operational field bases located in Monguno, Ngala and Dikwa. The mission is composed of about 20 expatriates and 190 national staffs, and is currently funded by Europaid, ECHO, OFDA, CDC and the UN (NHF, WFP).
ABOUT THE JOBThe Country Director is the Solidarités International’s official representative in a country.
- S/He is in charge of the smooth running of the mission.
- S/He proposes mission strategy, according to the geopolitical and humanitarian context, and ensures its implementation once it has been validated.
- S/He monitors projects, ensuring that they are progressing in accordance with the Solidarités International charter and complying with internal and contractual procedures.
- S/He mobilizes the material and financial resources necessary for the programs to run effectively and supervises the Administration of these resources.
- S/He coordinates the teams in place and ensures their security on the mission.
- S/He is the direct liaison for Solidarités International HQ.
- Coordination and strategic orientation:
- Relevance and operational quality / operations monitoring
- Resource Management
- Human Resource Management (20 expats and 190 national Staffs)
- Relationships with financial donors / fund-raising
- Internal and external communication
- Advocacy on key issues
- Direct Management: 3 Field Co, HR Co, Fin Co, Log Co, Deputy CD (Programs), 1 Grants Manager
- Indirect Management: 20 expats / 190 National Staffs
- Continuous context monitoring, update and enforcement of security protocols and access management
- Focus on HR set-up finalization and internal communication/mechanisms, to continue to improve mission performance, structure.
- Focus on working environment and team building
- Roll-out of the 2020 operational strategy
- Development of existing /new partnerships with other humanitarian actors
- Implementation and follow-up of the recommendations made by internal / external auditors to ensure full compliance of the mission operations.
YOUR PROFILEEducation and Experience
- Master Degree in humanitarian/development studies, social sciences, management or other related discipline.
- Minimum 4 years overseas experience working with an international humanitarian/development NGO, with significant program, team and financial management experience;
- Minimum 2 years in a similar position
- Experience of working and managing security in highly volatile security contexts
- Proven management ability, including ability to motivate and develop skills of team’s members. Must be able to make sound management decisions in difficult situations and also be able to work in a participatory manner with colleagues.
- Previous experience and achievements in managing a consortium and strong partnerships with other NGOs (MoUs, negotiations, governance…)
- Proven ability to deal with donors and operational partners.
- Proven ability to develop adapted humanitarian vision and strategy.
- Experience working with SI (or a similar organization) is an asset
- Prior experience in Nigeria would be considered as an asset
- Strong knowledge of donors’ policies and guidelines;
- Strong knowledge of the project cycle management;
- Strong knowledge of principled-based approaches and advocacy skills;
- Excellent communication, networking skills, organizational and prioritization skills, ability to multi-task
- Excellent reporting and writing skills
- Capacity to adapt and show organizational flexibility
- Cross cultural sensitivity and great team player
- Mature and solid leadership
- Fluent English is a must
- Knowledge of French is an asset
- Computer literacy with very good command of MS Office