Location: Juba with travel to the field
Duration: 12 months
Start date: July 2020
ABOUT THE MISSION…
The civil armed conflict that broke out in South Sudan in mid‐December 2013 has burdened the country with a multi‐layered array of challenges. According to OCHA and UNHCR, in December 2018, over 4 million people were still forced to flee their homes due to insecurity, including 1.87 million IDPs and 2.27 million refugees still hosted in neighboring countries. The protracted nature of the conflict has considerably destroyed key basic infrastructures, and weakened livelihood opportunities, while eroding the coping capacities of the local communities. The most vulnerable are also facing the impact of climate change, with alteration of usual rainfall patterns, leading to seasonal droughts and flooding, causing further displacements and contributing to resource‐based conflicts.
According to the 2019 HRP, 1.8 M people will be in need of nutritional care across the country, and IPC data suggests that the burden of malnutrition will continue to increase due to food insecurity. Indeed, the deadly conflict brought a deep economic crisis which has directly affected the population access to basic resources.
SI’s mission in South Sudan has been fully operational since 2006, with WaSH interventions in Upper Nile and Jonglei State. In 2018 SI managed to reach about 90,000 people with its emergency WASH, FSL and S-NFI interventions in 8 out of 10 former states of South Sudan. Presently SI has permanent bases in Juba, Aburoc and Malakal (Upper Nile) state and in Raja (former Western Bahr el Ghazal). Over the years SI has played a key role in the Emergency Preparedness and Response strategy in South Sudan, and has been able to implement emergency responses all over the country. SI is considered as a solid actor in South Sudan, working in many areas and covering several sectors.
SI is currently implementing :
- Emergency WaSH response in Upper Nile,
- WaSH and FSL interventions in Western Bahr El Ghazal, targetting the urgent need of the most vulnerables (thought a synergy with a Health and Nutrition partner) while improving the resilience capacity of the community.
- Ebola preparedness in Health facilities and at community level in Nimule.
The main axis of SI’s country strategy are as follows:
- Address the most urgent needs of conflict, epidemic (including cholera and ebola) and natural disaster affected population
- Contribute to strengthening the resilience capacities of agro and agro pastoral communities affected by conflict and climate events.
- Contribute to reducing the prevalence of water borne diseases and malnutrition through integrated WaSH in health and WaSH in nutrition approaches in rural and urban settings.
The overall budget of the South Sudan mission is circa 2 million USD.
ABOUT THE JOB
Solidarités International is seeking a dynamic and result-oriented Country Director(CD) who will play a leading and strategic role within our team to support the development of the mission’s operational strategy, to ensure high-quality, timely and effective program implementation and to expand SI’s response capacity in South Soudan.
The CD is the official representative of Solidarités International in South Sudan. She/he will be in charge of monitoring the global country’s situation, to develop an extensive network and strong relationships with key national authorities and humanitarian actors, including donors, UN agencies and INGOs representatives.
With the support from HQ, the Country Director will be in charge of approaching potential donors, identifying funding opportunities in line with SI’s mandate and SI’s strategy in country, lead project proposals, follow-up with negociations and support the program development. S/he will ensure dissemination and compliance of SI and donors’s contractual procedures within the team and oversee the proper mobilization of the Financial and logistics resources.
The Country Director will manage and coordinate a team of about 6 expatriates and senior national staff . S/he will be responsible for the security of the mission team.
- To maintain a constant and in-depth understanding of the context and the humanitarian needs
- To lead the definition of SI’s country strategy for South Sudan based on a in-depth analysis of the needs, the context, an actor’s mapping and SI’s mandate.
- To uphold the growth of the mission through active fundraising and new programmes development.
- To oversee the implementation of the ongoing projects
- To ensure active external representation to establish close coordination with all key stakeholders, donors, authorities and partners.
- To ensure the required resources are mobilized as required and as per established procédures (HR, financial, logistics)
- To provide guidance and supervision to the coordination team, including support to the Field Coordinators.
- To ensure safety&security
Required knowledge, experience and skills:
- More than 5 years of professional humanitarian experience, including a previous experience as Area Manager/Field Coordinator or CD.
- Demonstrated experience in conflict contexts and insecure environments, with significant experience in supporting emergency response programming, access negociation and security analysis and management.
- Extensive program development and fundraising experience, including in working with major institutional donors, including: OFDA, ECHO, UN Agencies, etc
- Successful experience in managing multi-sector programmes especially WASH, Food Security&Livelihoods
- Demonstrated succesful experience in negotiation and external respresentation.
- Leadership skills, problem-solving skills and ability to make decisions
- Outstanding communication skills, including excellent diplomacy skills with the ability to influence and negotiate.
- Analytical skills and proven organization and methodical skills
- Strong interest and understanding of the context and strong commitment to humanitarian work and principles.
- Ability to withstand pressure
- Demonstrated experience and interest in working in complex and volatile environments
- Capacity to adapt and show organizational flexibility
- Ability to represent SI towards different stakeholders
- Good sense of humor and great team member
SI WILL OFFER YOU
Salaried position: According to experiences, salary starts from 3300 euros gross per month (3000€ + 10% annual leave allowance paid monthly) and a monthly Per Diem of 700 USD.
SI also covers accommodation costs (SI guesthouse) and travel expenses between the expatriate’s country of origin and the place of assignment.
R&R: 7 working days every 3 months, with 850 USD allowance for each R&R. In addition, a compensation day per month worked is granted.
Social and medical cover: Expatriates benefit from an insurance package, which reimburses all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded.