Action Against Hunger has been operating in Afghanistan since 1979. Its very first mission, has seen a strong focus on Emergency responses, targeting primarily refugees, Internally Displaced Persons, and flood/drought affected populations. Integrated projects in nutrition and health, water, sanitation and hygiene, Food Security and livelihoods, and in Mental Health and care practices are implemented in 4 provinces. Our work with local partners is essential to gain access to more geographical areas.
In 2017, 1,973 displaced persons had their access to sanitation and hygiene improved through latrines and hygiene kits, and 21,724 displaced persons benefited from cash distributions to support their immediate needs such as food, a shelter etc.
In the coming years, ACF will focus on an integrated approach to respond to and prevent humanitarian crises, address vulnerability and reinforce longer-term resilience to food, water and nutritional crises and to improve the resilience of communities.
Since 2015, the Action Against Hunger Afghanistan mission operates with fewer bases, but with an increased number of staff. 400 national staff and 13 expatriates operate on 3 bases: Kabul, Helmand and Ghor. In 2017, activities were funded by institutional donors such as GAC, ECHO, OCHA, SIDA, UNICEF and the World Bank, amounting to 13.6 million euros.
Length of contract: 18 months starting asap
- You are responsible for overseeing the development, funding and implementation of the country strategy and the growth of program portfolio that effectively addresses the underlying causes and effects of malnutrition in line with ACF's values (Charter), Programming Principles, and Strategy.
- You ensure that systems / procedures are in place and being properly implemented, and that they ensure the proper management, well being and safety of ACF staff, and the proper use of ACF resources.
- You must build on best practices previously developed on the mission
- You must create a shared vision among all staff. S/he is responsible for promoting ACF Charter and ensuring an organizational culture where ACF core values are embedded, team work is encouraged and all staff feels valued.
- You responsible for establishing and maintaining good working relationships with host government officials, donors and other partners.
Do you fit with the position?
- Strong field experience with humanitarian NGOs in similar role; or around 5 years of experience of International NGOs in progressively more responsible positions leading to a strong desure to take on the role of Director" id="link" class="link">Country Director
- Solid experience in representation, liaison with ACF stakeholders
- Excellent communication skills clear and structure, interpersonal and good negotiation skills.
- Experience in identifying, analysing humanitarian needs & designing potential responses, and follow up with technical referents proposal writing, concept notes, etc…
- High capacity of work, able to overcome stress and work under pressure
- Knowledge about ACF programs (WASH, MH., NUT, Health) and organization is an advantage
- Knowledge of the region and of Afghanistan specifically would be an advantage
- Leadership and management skills in a complex international setting
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of Humanitarian Coordination mechanisms and Nexus between Recovery and Development
- Strong analytical and conceptual thinking; able to understand complex issues and translate them into simple, workable actions and plans
- Fluency in written and spoken English
Why joining ACF:
Afghanistan is a complex and challenging country; but equally full of remarkable and resilient people who have lived through some of the significant conflcits of the last 50 years Working with and for these people is both challenging and a privilege. Doing so with ACF is an opportunity for any leader to both test themselves and be at the front edge of providing high standards of humanitarian and Development Assistance. It is a challenge to be relished, but equally not one to be taken on lightly.
Remuneration and benefits :
Monthly gross salary from 3876 to 5025€ upon experience C5
Per diem and living allowance: 383 € (cf eurocost) net, field paid.
+ 450€ as country allowance
+ 16% of monthly gross. For non-French citizen for retrocession of retirement and unemployment insurance.
+ child allowance
Medical coverage: 100% coverage of medical expenses + repatriation insurance.
Leaves and RnR:
25 days of paid leaves per year.
20 RnR per year.
215 € at each RnR period (every 8 weeks).
Support for transport tickets to the reference recovery area**.**
2/3 days training on finance tools before departure
Free and unlimited access to the certifying e-learning platform Crossknowledge ©.
Technical trainings at HQ or regional level (averagely 1 per year).
Intermission Workshop once a year.
Participation to external trainings costs upon eligibility of the request.