The overall purpose of the consultancy is to provide Technical Assistance to support development of updated food legislation promoting healthy diets for children. ICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential. Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone. And we never give up. For every child, early moments matter TERMS OF REFERENCE Subject : Technical assistance to support development of updated food legislation promoting healthy diets for children. Duration : 23 Days over 5 months Supervisor : Nutrition Manager PURPOSE OF THE ASSIGNMENT The purpose of the proposed assignment is to draft Acts and regulations pertaining to transformed food products, food and food standards and their Marketing. This assignment will be informed by a comprehensive review of the key legislations include the Constitution of Zimbabwe (2013), the Public Health Act[Chapter 15:09], the Food and Food Standards Act [Chapter 15:04] and subsidiary legislation, regulations and statutory instruments (partiularly SI48 of 1998, SI5 of 2015) relating to this subject. ASSIGNMENTS: The consultant will be responsible for the following:Apply Now
- Identify and conduct a review of the current legislation regulating food and food standards including marketing of foods in Zimbabwe, in consultation with stakeholders, identify gaps and recommend way forward targeting restricting marketing of unhealthy foods and beverages to infants and children.
- Review food marketing regulations and recommend how nutrient thresholds set by WHO can be incorporated in acts regulating marketing of foods.
- Identify opportunities to include global and regional standards on trans-fat, salt/sodium and sugar and restrict marketing of unhealthy foods and drinks and consumer friendly labelling.
- Develop and propose recommendation into acts and regulations and present to stakeholders
- Draft validated recommendations into the acts and regulations and submit to Ministry of Health and Child Care.
- Develop recommendation guidance for government to adopt