On behalf of the Digital Public Goods Alliance, UNICEF Innovation is seeking a short-term consultant to develop interim governance options for the Digital Public Goods Alliance. Based on consultation and desk review, the consultant will develop three scenarios for presentation to the Alliance founders. UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential. Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone. And we never give up. For every child, innovate... UNICEF has a 70-year history of innovating for children. We believe that new approaches, partnerships and technologies that support realizing children’s rights are critical to improving their lives. The Office of Innovation is a creative, interactive, and agile team in UNICEF. We sit at a unique intersection, where an organization that works on huge global issues meets the startup thinking, the technology, and the partners that turn this energy into scalable solutions. UNICEF's Office of Innovation creates opportunities for the world's children by focusing on where new markets can meet their vital needs. We do this by:Apply Now
- Connecting youth communities (or more broadly -- anyone disconnected or under-served) to decision-makers, and to each other, to deliver informed, relevant and sustained programmes that build better, stronger futures for children.
- Provoking change for children through an entrepreneurial approach -- in a traditionally risk-averse field -- to harness rapidly moving innovations and apply them to serve the needs of all children.
- Creating new models of partnership that leverage core business values across the public, private and academic sectors in order to deliver fast, and lasting results for children.
- Looking at the 2-5 year horizon to evaluate emerging and trending technologies and to see how UNICEF can work with the private sector on doing better business while improving essential services for children;
- Investing in early stage solutions that show great potential to positively impact children in the 0-2 year future including the Venture Fund that invests in open source technology solutions from start-ups based in UNICEF’s programme countries;
- Identifying proven solutions that can be implemented at national scale in multiple countries – taking the ideas that help thousands in one country, bringing them to dozens of countries across multiple sectors, and impacting the lives of millions of children.”
Main responsibilities will be:
- Conduct key informant interviews including:
- Current Alliance founders
- Members of the broader (actual and potential) network of technical and financial partners
- Organisations with similar objective of creating multi-stakeholder groups and hosting/governance structures (e.g. similar UN-associated structures such as GAVI, Global Fund, Education Cannot Wait, End Violence, CEPI, INTOSAI IDI, EITI)
- Conduct research on possible governance structures
- Develop several scenarios of possible structures and gather feedback from relevant stakeholders (at least Alliance founders)
- Deck presenting 2-3 scenarios with pros and cons to be presented to four Alliance founders
- A degree in relevant field (International Relations, Public Policy, Business or Public Administration or related areas) or equivalent professional experience
- At least 8 years’ experience in senior-level project management, governance Design and implementation or community facilitation and building.
- A track record in advising senior management on multi-stakeholder governance structures and processes
- Demonstrated expertise in best practice on governance, management structures, accountability frameworks and consultation processes for stakeholder engagements across different geographies and sectors
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Proven experience in translating complex ideas from various fields into unified, clear guidance.
- Superior project management skills for managing tasks and dependencies
- Proven capacity to work with teams across different locations and with different technical skills.
- Familiarity with open source technology and Community Development and management a plus
- Fluency in English is required.
Payment details and further considerations
- Payment upon completion of deliverables
- Consultant is responsible for his/her own health and travel insurance
- Consultant is eligible for standard DSA for all work-related travel