Project/Consultancy Title: Communications support
Project Location(s): Remote
About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
PROGRAM/ DEPARTMENT SUMMARY:
Mercy Corps has been operating in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) since August 2007, with a staff of over 300 people working in Eastern DRC, with the overall country goal to support vulnerable communities through crises, while fostering programs that build resilience and promote long-term change. Mercy Corps’ national office is in Goma with sub-field offices in North Kivu, South Kivu and Ituri. Mercy Corps’ key programming areas include a combination of longer-term development and immediate Humanitarian Response programs in order to:
1) Improve water service delivery and ensuring equitable access to Water, Sanitation and Hygiene services, in urban and rural areas;
3) Promote diversified livelihoods, economic recovery and development.
Purpose / Project Description:
Mercy Corps has large-scale programmes in the Democratic Republic of Congo reaching more than one million people. Critical to the success of these programmes is the management of complex Public Relations and External Communications within the country.
- To support DRC country team and project leadership to execute communications crucial to the success of the project
- In partnership with country leadership and the relevant project team, develop a comms strategy for national (Congolese) media for the remainder of calendar year 2020.
- Monitor and keep abreast of coverage and sentiment about specific projects
- Undertake stakeholder Mapping and evaluate potential risks
- Develop and keep up to date French and English FAQs and Talking Points on specific projects
- Provide advice to the Director" id="link" class="link">Country Director and project leadership on the most appropriate communications actions, including response strategies for social networks.
- Communications Strategy to complement existing communications plans
- Outputs including articles and media coverage
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Fluent English and French
- 5-7 years experience as communications consultant, including crisis communications and reputation management
- In-depth knowledge of the media landscape and political environment in DRC.
Timeframe / Schedule:
20 to 30 days between June and October 2020
The Consultant will report to: Project Lead
The Consultant will work closely with: Country Director, project leads, HQ and Regional Media & Communications leads.