Background: We are looking for a Compliance Counsel who will report to the Lead Compliance Counsel and primarily support the management of business conflicts of interest (COI), data access management and privacy, as well as any other substantive areas as further described below. Our team: Our Legal Department advises Management, the Board of Executive Directors and the Board of Governors on legal and compliance matters relating to IDB Invest, including operations, resource mobilization activities, administrative, institutional and financial matters. The compliance function (GCL Compliance), in the General Counsel’s Office, is responsible for providing advice and compliance oversight in relation to certain non-financial risks related to our investments, advisory work and corporate functions in the following areas: (i) integrity, ethics and reputational risks; (ii) management of business conflicts of interest (COI); (iii) nominee directorships; (iv) data access management and privacy; and (v) oversight of anti-money-laundering/combating the financing of terrorism and sanctions. What you will do:Apply Now
- Conflicts of Interest: Advise on the identification and management of, and development of solutions to mitigate COI in operations in which we invest in debt and/or equity, and in which we provide Advisory Services, whether with our own resources or with third-party funds we administer.
- Nominee Directorships: Advise on nominee directorships of IDB Invest in collaboration with the Corporate Governance Officer in the Risk Management Department and the equity team in the Investment Operations Department.
- Advise on a variety of other compliance areas as our activities grow, such as:
- Assist in the development and implementation of policies, guidelines and procedures to prevent, detect, assess and mitigate the above compliance risks associated with our activities.
- Develop and execute Training Programs and outreach initiatives for IDB Invest personnel and Management on the above-mentioned subject matters . Assist in the development and maintenance of internal knowledge sharing platforms.
- Monitor global initiatives and private sector developments to benchmark our approach to compliance risk mitigation against international best practices, including collaboration with other multilateral development banks and other external partners, while also recognizing the legal and regulatory position of the IDB Group.
- Qualified to practice law in one or more jurisdictions. Master of Law (LL.M.) in a common law jurisdiction is a plus.
- Minimum of 10 years of legal experience with a well-recognized international law firm, regulated financial institution or international financial institution (IFI) advising on some or all of the following:
- Outstanding writing skills and ability to convey complicated matters simply and concisely.
- Ability to interact efficiently and considerately with internal and external teams and partners at senior levels.
- Demonstrable experience in developing and giving effective and engaging training presentations to legal and non-legal staff.
- Highly developed personal integrity, strong values and ethics.
- Type of contract: Fixed term, staff
- Length of Contract: 3 years
- Starting date: Upon mutual agreement with candidate
- Location: Headquarters in Washington D.C. or IDBG Country Office, as agreed with the selected candidate.