Sustainable Development Goal 16 on inclusive, just and peaceful societies is a critical enabling goal for the entire sustainable development agenda. The 2030 Agenda requires action to secure peace, deliver justice, promote inclusive participation in politics and beyond, and consolidate effective, accountable and inclusive institutions if the priorities in the Agenda as a whole are to be realized.Dedicated support is required to enable Member States to better source technical expertise and learn from experience elsewhere to improve implementation of Goal 16. The development of effective platforms for information and knowledge sharing through a partnership-based approach can accelerate achievement of peaceful, just and inclusive societies, as a key component for delivery of the entire 2030 Agenda. The portal for Goal 16 (the “SDG 16 Hub”) was officially launched in July 2018 and facilitates the capture, Analysis and deployment of knowledge amongst Member States and partner organisations, and ensures that learning in one context is available for other countries to consider and adapt if appropriate. This portal is a space for all interested stakeholders to contribute substantially to the Goal 16 discussion and is a one stop knowledge portal for information on peaceful, just and inclusive societies. The SDG 16 Hub has a curated knowledge section with the three main pillars of WHAT is SDG16, WHO are the main stakeholders working on this goal and HOW to implement this global goal; in addition to having an interactive space to promote engagement and conversations. The Hub focusses on the following:Apply Now
- Promoting the exchange of knowledge and updates on Goal 16 at the global level.
- Promoting dialogue on UNDP’s work with Member States and stakeholders on the implementation, measurement and reporting on Goal 16.
- Facilitating the exchange of knowledge about tools and strategies on how to tackle the impediments to implement Goal 16
- Strengthening interlinkages between Goal 16 and other goals and targets of the 2030 Agenda
- Fostering learning from each other’s experience – lessons learned and best practices.
- Updated P11/CV indicating all past experience from similar projects, as well as the contact details (email and telephone number) of the Candidate and at least three (3) professional references
- Brief description of why the individual considers him/herself as the most suitable for the assignment. Indicate available start date.
- IMPORTANT: Please provide links to any samples of relevant work, including writing samples.
- Financial proposals must be all inclusive and must be expressed on the basis of "an all-inclusive daily fee” in USD.
- Payment will be made upon submission of a certificate of payment request, indicating outputs achieved and days worked to be verified and cleared for payment by the supervisor.
- Responsive / compliant / acceptable; and
- Having received the highest score out of a pre-determined set of weighted technical and financial criteria specific to the solicitation.
- Experience with working in the areas of knowledge management, online network management relevant to the scope of work (20 points);
- Proven ability to drive online conversations in networks and / or Communities of Practice (20 points);
- Proven ability to collate content from online conversations, do Desk Research and develop high quality policy relevant documents (15 points)
- Strong familiarity with international development issues, including Agenda 2030 and SDG16 (10 points);
- Knowledge of key actors and networks active on SDG 16 (5 points)
Duties and ResponsibilitiesResponsibilities In order to help manage the community side of the SDG16 portal the UNDP OGC will engage a Community Engagement expert to provide support to the following five work streams – with a particular focus on COVID-19 (working with the Junior IC – Content Management, wherever applicable):
- Ensuring knowledge flow and nurturing Communities of Practice (CoPs) on the SDG16 Hub; linking and fostering partnerships with other similar platforms and initiatives;
- Production and dissemination of communications materials through regular and social media channels and campaigns;
- Organization and management of specific online campaigns, online eDiscussions, (and ensure compilation of such into policy documents, etc.); and,
- Regularly map the existing CoPs on the SDG16 Hub and ensure they are active and vibrant by providing all necessary technical and methodological support;
- Based on the Hub outreach strategy, support the growth of relevant new CoPs (particularly related to SDG16 and COVID-19) on the Hub to increase dialogue and discussion.
- Assist community members to populate the Platform with profile information, discussion topics, knowledge products, etc.
- Train and support CoP moderators existing on the Hub.
- Manage SDG16 Hub community membership and ensure its growth through outreach to the SDG16+ community and other practitioners.
- Related to the above, regular monitoring and evaluation / tracking of membership growth and surveys to figure out the needs of the community and areas for growth and improvement.
- Based on Hub’s communications strategy particularly focussing on Social Media, produce communications materials to be disseminated through social media channels (including Facebook and Twitter) as well as through external platforms (UNDP Yammer) wherever relevant.
- Produce 2-3 minute video/animations relevant to the Hub (script and storyboard).
- Develop (compile and edit) monthly newsletter on SDG16 Hub activities (also focussing on know your community).
- Set-up, facilitate relevant e-discussions and online campaigns on the Hub on priority SDG16 topics (some CoPs have already identified COVID-19 and SDG16 topics, i.e. the Copenhagen Group, that need to be taken forward for online discussion).
- Compile the results of these e-Discussions and disseminate widely.
- Proven ability to develop and implement effective communications strategies and drive networks and / or communities of practice (particularly those related to SDG16);
- Strong understanding and experience of working on governance and peacebuilding / SDG 16 issues.
- Strong understanding of communications and outreach at the international level;
- Proven ability to develop user-friendly, high quality communications materials;
- Outstanding writing and editing skills, with proven ability to meet tight deadlines;
- Proven ability to communicate issues effectively and with cultural sensitivity, both orally and in writing;
- Outstanding organizational and planning skills
Required Skills and ExperienceEducation
- Master’s degree in communications, knowledge management, journalism, International Relations, economics, social science, or development-related fields.
- At least seven (7) years of professional experience in the areas of communications or knowledge management relevant to the scope of work;
- Familiarity with international development issues, in particular the Agenda 2030 and the SDGs; knowledge of key actors and networks on SDG16 an asset;
- Sound knowledge of office software packages, on-line tools, website management and development, video production and social media.