Minimum age: 22 years old. Applicants must be nationals of or legal residents in the country of assignment.
Within the delegated authority and under the supervision of the Resident Coordinator or his/her designated mandated representative(s), the UN Volunteer Communications Specialist will be responsible for providing comprehensive day-to-day communications support to the Resident Coordinator’s Office and the UN Country Team in Bahrain. The incumbent will manage communications with stakeholders on daily basis, report directly to the Resident Coordinator and work in close cooperation with the Resident Coordinator’s Office team.
- Media Support to the RCO’s day-to-day public outreach work:
- Manage partnerships for communications and media relations;
- Provide substantive support to the Resident Coordinator and the UN Country Team in designing, implementing and monitoring communications activities in support of the implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development;
- Support public engagement on the UN’s role and work in country;
- Lead branding management;
- Manage local promotion of UN global communications and advocacy priorities on the work of the UN in key thematic areas;
- Provide substantive support to the UN Communications Group;
- Perform a daily scan of local newspapers and digital mass media outlets, identify where the UN system agencies or UN officials are mentioned and report on these findings;
- Compile, analyze, categorize and summarize communication experiences for use in sharing findings with country, regional and HQ communication colleagues so that best practices benefit the UN’s communication work.
- UNCT events support by request and in consultation with UN agencies in Bahrain
- Provide all-rounder communications support to UN events in Bahrain; the support includes helping the event organizers publicize the event via print and digital channels, UN in Bahrain social media accounts, and other available means.
- Social media and website management: Day-to-day running of the UN in Bahrain social media accounts (Twitter, Instagram and Facebook) and UNCT website:
- Develop and maintain external and internal Digital Communications platforms such as the UN Country Team website, official UN country team social media accounts (Twitter, Instagram and Facebook), SharePoint and online collaboration platforms (Yammer);
- Develop relevant content topics and messages to reach the UN's target audience.
- Develop a social media content publication calendar, formulate, create, curate, and manage all published content (images, video and written) in English and Arabic.
- Monitor, listen and respond to users in a “social” way while cultivating leads and partners.
- Track performance of all social media posts created and produce monthly impact and performance reports based on the analytics tools for each social media account (Twitter, Facebook and Instagram).
- Based on knowledge and information shared by the UN DCO and the UN Department of Global Communications, prepare social media plans for UN in Bahrain’s participation in global and regional UN campaigns and related outreach activations;
- Using input from UN agencies and RCO colleagues, draft stories for publication on UN in Bahrain’s website;
- In consultation with the UN RCO, regularly update the UN in Bahrain website;
- Ensure monthly 5% increase of the number of followers across various UN in Bahrain social media accounts. Baseline number is the number of followers on the start date of contract;
- Supervise production of visual materials (graphs, posters, infographics, short videos, etc.) for UN in Bahrain website and social media channels (Twitter, Instagram and Facebook)
A higher education degree (Bachelor’s or equivalent) in a relevant area, e.g. Communications, Journalism, or area related to Marketing" id="link" class="link">Digital Marketing, Public Relations, Advocacy and Public Outreach24 Months
- At least 2 years of professional work experience at the national and/or international level in communications, journalism, public relations or other relevant programmes; experience with graphic Design, photography, videography is an asset, as is experience working in the UN or other international development organization;
- Excellent oral and written skills; excellent drafting, formulation, reporting skills;
- Accuracy and professionalism in document production and editing;
- Excellent interpersonal skills; culturally and socially sensitive; ability to work inclusively and collaboratively with a range of partners, including grassroots community members, religious and youth organizations, and authorities at different levels; familiarity with tools and approaches of communications for development;
- Ability to work and adapt professionally and effectively in a challenging environment; ability to work effectively in a multicultural team of international and national personnel;
- Solid overall computer literacy, including proficiency in various MS Office applications (Excel, Word, etc.) and email/internet; familiarity with website Content Management; social media management; Database Management; and office technology equipment;
- Self-motivated, ability to work with minimum supervision; ability to work with tight deadlines;
- Sound security awareness;
- Have affinity with or interest in sustainable development, volunteerism as a mechanism for durable development, and the UN System.
- English(Mandatory), Level - Fluent