The United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime was set-up in 1997, combining the United Nations Centre for International Crime Prevention and the United Nations International Drug Control Programme. It was established by the Secretary-General of the United Nations to enable the Organization to focus and enhance its capacity to address the interrelated issues of drug control, crime prevention and international terrorism in all its forms. The mandate of the Office derives from several conventions and General Assembly resolutions, and the Office’s technical cooperation programme aims to help improve the capacity of Governments to execute those international commitments.Apply Now
Duties and ResponsibilitiesUnder the overall supervision of the Head of UNODC Programme Office in Kazakhstan and direct supervision of the Programme Office Communication Focal Point, the Intern will provide support for activities relating to communications, advocacy, media and resource mobilization. Duties will include but not be limited to:
- Assist with monitoring the media for news stories of interest to the UNODC/UN;
- Assist UNODC in researching, drafting and/or updating on-line content for the UNODC website and social media accounts under the guidance of the Communication Focal Point and the Head of the UNODC Programme Office in Kazakhstan;
- Maintain/Update UNODC media and e-Library databases;
- Assist UNODC team in creating and publishing Multilingual Multimedia Information Materials (Short Videos, Social Media Cards, Flyers)
- Assist UNODC team with editing public information/advocacy materials – knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (such as Premiere, Photoshop, etc.) is an asset;
- Assist UNODC team with photo/video coverage of UNODC events;
- Research, draft and/or update content (on-line as well as off-line) for the public Information Outreach/advocacy, with guidance from the Communication Focal Point and Head of UNODC Programme Office in Kazakhstan, other subject matter experts and relevant substantive focal points;
- Assist with media outreach, e. g. distribution of press releases and other information materials to mass media and Civil Society Organizations;
- Assist in organizing activities for the planned as well as ad hoc UNODC events (round tables, conferences, panel discussions, trainings, workshops, etc.);
- Assist with general support to overall public information activities, meetings, etc.);
- Assist with thematic news stories, storytelling & stories from the field, social media feeds, video stories and other relevant tasks;
- Performing other related duties, as required.
CompetenciesPlanning and Organizing: Sound organizational skills and time management skills, ability to prioritize own work programme and to work with minimum supervision, ability to deliver assignments in a timely manner; Teamwork: Good interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships and working relations in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity, including gender balance. Commitment to Continuous Learning: Willingness to keep abreast of new developments in the field. Technology Awareness: Sound computer skills and use of relevant software and other applications, e.g. word processing (Excel, Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, etc.); use and search of information on the Internet, etc. Communication: Ability to write in a clear and concise manner and communicate effectively orally.
Required Skills and ExperienceApplicants must meet one of the following requirements: (a) Be enrolled in a postgraduate degree programme (such as a master’s programme, or higher); (b) Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (such as bachelor’s degree or equivalent); (c) Have recently graduated with a university degree (as defined in (a) and (b) above) and, if selected, must start the Internship within one-year of graduation; (d) Be enrolled in a postgraduate professional traineeship program and undertake the internship as part of this program. Languages: Excellent knowledge of English and Russian with fluency in speaking, reading and writing. Knowledge of Kazakh is a strong asset. Computer skills: General IT competence and command of main office software programme. Internet communication and searching skills Other skills:
- social media skills;
- good interpersonal and communication skills are prerequisites.