Communications and Social Innovation Consultant to support the knowledge and operational agenda of CTI
Background of this Search:
The IDB through its Competitiveness, Technology and Innovation Division (CTI) has been working to position itself as a leader in innovation and competitiveness in Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC), pushing forward an agenda to enhance science, technology, innovation, Entrepreneurship and productive development policies with LAC countries, working with them through a diverse range of operations, technical assistance, knowledge generation and other projects.
A cornerstone in the IDB strategy for promoting science, technology and innovation (STI) is that society and policymakers come to regard STI as the basis for the construction of knowledge economies, leading to enhanced productivity, global competitiveness, Economic Growth and, ultimately, social progress. Communication is essential for positioning innovation in national and regional agendas and helping to promote dialogue among key actors in innovation systems. Despite advancements in recent years, CTI needs to sustain efforts to promote awareness and knowledge on the importance and impact of innovation policies and other emerging STI topics, within the Bank itself and also among policymakers in the national agencies and ministries, stimulating increased investments in this sector.
In this framework, the CTI Division has the “CIP to Promote Investments in Innovation Within the IDB Development Approach” (BK-C1170) with the objective to develop and implement communication strategies to help CTI “make the case” for increased investment in innovation and competitiveness policies and programs in the LAC region. During 2020, CTI will continue strengthening the dissemination of particular areas of work including dynamic entrepreneurship, scientific research, green innovation and sustainability, as well as the development of initiatives in countries and regions with less developed innovation ecosystems.
CTI has also being working dynamically with the implementation of a technical cooperation portfolio which looks to implement efforts towards Social Innovation Platforms to address development challenges in the region, also Innovation, Creative and Cultural Ecosystems; and to work on Digital Social Innovation Approaches to Reduce Food Loss and Waste, among others.
Also, the Division looks to promote Science, Innovation and Technology through a Regional Policy Dialogue Network which aims at positioning the importance of the development and implementation of innovation policies and its role to foster economic growth in the region. This event gathers policy makers and authorities of key counterparts from Latin American countries in a space of positive discussions and collaboration to address current societal challenges. The Design, preparation and dissemination of this type of networks is paramount and strategic not only for the Division but also for the Bank.
The team’s mission:
The Inter-American Development Bank (IDB), through the Competitiveness, Technology and Innovation (CTI) Division, provides funding, technical assistance and knowledge products to support governments in key action areas such as firm-level innovation, entrepreneurship ecosystems, green innovation, Digital Transformation, creative economy, social innovation, and productive development. IDB programs in these areas incorporate common themes, such as training in science, technology and innovation for advanced human capital; strengthening scientific and technological infrastructure; designing public policies to promote innovation; strengthening the institutional capacity of the agencies and ministries that are responsible for implementing these policies.
What you’ll do
The general objective of this consultancy is to support the implementation of the communications strategy for CTI and positioning its work regionally.
The specific activities to be carried out include:
- Review, develop and implement a communication strategy for the CTI Division
- Support CTI staff to prepare and implement dissemination strategies for knowledge products generated by the Division, or other strategic initiatives and projects.
- Manage the CTI Blog “Puntos sobre la i”, which includes planning, editing, coordinating with authors, writing and disseminating articles.
- Maintain and update the IDB web page under the topic "Competitiveness, Technology and Innovation"
- Disseminate messages through appropriate social media channels, write press releases or other written stories related to the Division’s work, and promote its dissemination in media outlets.
- Establish and consolidate relationships with the media and journalists, especially those who cover science, technology, innovation and other related topics.
- Support CTI staff in the planning and design of presentations to internal and external audiences.
- Support the planning and execution of events to showcase the Division´s work (internally as externally).
- Support the process and advice to disseminate the publications of the Division.
- Produce printed, digital and multimedia communication products for the Division (e.g. presentations, brochure, videos, etc.)
- Maintain a strong relationship with other Bank units in matters related to communication; specially all the above activities must be coordinated with the Knowledge, Innovation and Communication (KIC) department and comply with the Bank policies and procedures.
- Support the implementation of a technical cooperation project on innovation in public communication of science and technology (Regional).
- Support the implementation of social innovation related technical cooperation projects (Regional, Ecuador, Paraguay), especially in communication and outreach management.
- Any other activity required to fulfill the objectives of the consultancy.
What you’ll need:
- Citizenship: You are a citizen of one of our 48-member countries. We may offer assistance with relocation and visa applications for you and your eligible dependents.
- Consanguinity: You have no family members (up to fourth degree of consanguinity and second degree of affinity, including spouse) working at the IDB Group.
- Education: Bachelor’s in communication or related field.
- Experience: at least 2 years of relevant professional experience in communications, partnership development and project management.
- Languages: Proficiency in Spanish and English.
- Type of contract: Consultant, full time.
- Length of contract: 12 months.
- Location: Washington D.C. Headquarters
- Responsible person: Sector Senior Specialist of the Competitiveness, Technology and Innovation Division.
- Requirements: You must be a citizen of one of the IDB’s 48 member countries and have no family members currently working at the IDB Group.
Our culture: Our people are committed and passionate about improving lives in Latin-America and the Caribbean, and they get to do what they love in a diverse, collaborative and stimulating work environment. We are the first Latin American and Caribbean development institution to be awarded the EDGE certification, recognizing our strong commitment to Gender Equality. As an employee you can be part of internal resource groups that connect our diverse community around common interests.
Because we are committed to providing equal opportunities in employment, we embrace diversity based on gender, age, education, national origin, ethnic origin, race, disability, sexual orientation, and religion. We encourage women, Afro-descendants and persons of indigenous origins to apply.
About us: At the IDB, we’re committed to improving lives. Since 1959, we’ve been a leading source of long-term financing for economic, social, and institutional development in Latin America and the Caribbean. We do more than lending though. We partner with our 48-member countries to provide Latin America and the Caribbean with cutting-edge research about relevant development issues, policy advice to inform their decisions, and technical assistance to improve on the planning and execution of projects. For this, we need people who not only have the right skills, but also are passionate about improving lives.
Our team in Human Resources carefully reviews all applications
“Due to the current Covid-19 pandemic and its implications for our Region, the IDB Group is reviewing its hiring needs and re-prioritizing its areas of talent acquisition. We encourage candidates to continue to apply to the active postings, yet current job openings may be subject to further decisions in terms of timing of the processes, or other actions, in accordance with business needs. Final hiring decisions may also be conditioned to the candidate’s ability to timely relocate to the post of duty at the moment of starting service.”Additional Information