UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the Empowerment of Women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, Humanitarian Action and peace and security. Established in December 2012, the UN Women Country Office for Jordan works in close collaboration with the Government of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan, the UN Country Team and the Civil Society to advance the women’s national agenda, promote women’s empowerment and Gender Equality. Within this framework, the Partnership and Advocacy Unit works on strengthening strategic partnerships at the country level, while ensuring sustained and coherent social mobilization with national stakeholders towards the promotion of gender equality and women’s empowerment. All these areas of work are supported by extensive internal and external communication, drawing attention to the specific projects and campaigns. As such, the Unit is also leading communication and advocacy efforts to enhance the visibility of gender-related instances at the country level, including the implementation of national, regional, and global advocacy campaigns, such as on the occasion of International Women’s Day, the 16 Days of Activism Against Gender-Based Violence, and the HeforShe movement. Under the guidance and supervision of the Partnerships and Advocacy Analyst, the intern will provide support to the following key tasks in the areas of communications, advocacy and partnerships. A work plan with achievements for the duration of the internship and learning opportunities will be agreed upon commencement of the position.Apply Now
Duties and ResponsibilitiesUnder the direct supervision of the Partnership and Advocacy Analyst, the Intern will be provided an opportunity to learn about UN Women and the UN through performing an array of duties that support UN Women mandate. 1-Support the office in outreach and communication related to the work of UN Women Jordan:
- Draft communication material for the Country Office media and social media channels (including in Arabic), such as impact stories and social media posts;
- Assistance in the organization of press conferences, workshops, high-level visits, and advocacy events;
- Drafting official correspondence, press releases, media clippings, media advisories and communication repot.
- Support the Unit in the implementation of the 2020 edition of the 16 Days of Activism Against Gender Based Violence campaign in partnership with national and international stakeholders;
- Support the Unit in implementing and coordinating the HeforShe campaign;
- Support the engagement of youth movements and Civil Society Organizations in joint advocacy efforts on gender equality and women’s empowerment.
- Assist the Unit in various research tasks related to gender equality and women’s empowerment, including synergies with the Sustainable Development Goals and other relevant advocacy campaigns;
- Support and coordinate meetings with stakeholders, drafting background documentation, official correspondence, minutes of the meeting, and brief notes.
- Support the implementation of events and high-level visits in collaboration with UN Women staff and national partners.
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
- Excellent computer and research skills: Microsoft Office (Word Processing, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Design and graphic creation skills will be a distinct advantage;
- Good computer typing skills.
Required Skills and ExperienceEducation:
- University studies in one of the following disciplines: communications, international studies, international relations, journalism, political science, international relations, or other relevant subjects is required.
- Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher); Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor's level or equivalent); Have graduated with a university degree and, if selected, must commence the internship within a one-year period of graduation, or Be enrolled in a postgraduate professional traineeship program which is part of a degree programme and undertake the internship as part of the program requirements.
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral) in English and Arabic are required;
- Working knowledge of another UN language is an advantage.
- All applicants must submit a completed and signed P.11 form with their application.
- Due to the high volume of applications received, we can ONLY contact successful candidates.
- Successful candidate will be required to provide proof of enrollment in a valid health insurance plan at the duty station of the internship, proof of school enrollment or degree, a scanned copy of their passport/national ID and a copy of a valid visa (as applicable).