Background of this search: Established in 1959, the Inter-American Development Bank (“IDB” or “Bank”) is the main source of financing for economic, social and institutional development in Latin America and the Caribbean. It provides loans, grants, guarantees, policy advice and technical assistance to the public and private sectors of its borrowing countries. In light of the 2015 Paris Agreement and the establishment of the Sustainable Development Goals, the Climate Change Division partners with stakeholders within the IDB Group and across Latin America and the Caribbean to mobilize resources, generate and disseminate knowledge, and help build institutions to achieve low-carbon and climate-resilient development. To achieve this mission, CSD/CCS has developed a strategic work force plan to implement its Action Plan 2016-2020, based on the creation of five strategic pillars: Mainstreaming climate change, sustainable Climate Finance, building climate institutions, developing climate knowledge and Resource Planning and management. The Bank seeks a Climate Change Consultant to work in partnership with stakeholders across the IDB-Group and Latin America and the Caribbean to provide technical leadership in climate finance, project structuring, and management of the climate finance project pipeline with major climate change funds. The team’s mission: The Climate Change and Sustainable Development Sector (CSD) advises Management on climate change and sustainable development and develops overall Bank policies, strategies, operational guidelines and programs in these areas. It is also responsible for conducting relevant sector research, analytical work, best sector practices and case studies on climate change and sustainability and provides specialized technical sector support to climate change and sustainability-related operations and activities. What you’ll do:Apply Now
- Coordinate the technical revision of climate change finance programs/project proposals for the Climate Investment Funds (CIFs) and other major external providers of concessional climate finance, such as the Green Climate Fund (GCF) the International Climate Initiative (IKI) and the NAMA Facility.
- Conduct technical review of and provide advice on the eligibility of funding proposals received, with attention to quality, completeness, and strategic alignment with climate Funds managed by the IDB such as the Accelerator (ACL) and the Sustainable Energy and Climate Change Fund (SECCI), among others.
- Support country specialists on the origination of climate finance proposals and the preparation of country specific Investment Plans for the CIFs, and other major providers of concessional climate finance, such as the GCF;
- Participate as Team Member in IDB projects including climate finance components, participating in Design and Administration missions, providing inputs to all stages of design, structuring and implementation through both the IDB and the funds approval cycles;
- Coordinate technical imputs to the preparatiton of legal documents (including project termsheets and loan/guarantee/technical assistance agreements) for climate finance projects for the Climate Investment Funds and other climate funds;
- Work with functional and operational units of the Bank to ensure that climate finance activities are integrated within IDB Group procedures, and to ensure that CIF guidelines, investment criteria, financing modalities and results measurement frameworks are followed;
- Participate in, and provide technical inputs as relevant to, the Bank’s working group supportin the process of identifying future scenarios for the scaling up of the CIFs, including through enhanced collaboration with other climate funds;
- Coordinate the preparation and delivery of Technical Support and Capacity Building activities for LAC Governments and other relevant stakeholders in the region on modalities to access and manage concessional resources for Climate Change Mitigation and adaptation;
- Participate and provide technical inputs in the preparation of knowledge products for internal and external audiences, including publications, blogs, and BBLs on topics related to climate finance;
- Coordinate the management and reporting of the IDB’s Climate Funds pipeline and projects under execution.;
- Liaise with, and coordinate inputs from, other IDB Divisions involved in the project preparation cycle of climate finance operations, including GCM, FIN, LEG and ORP, in addition to VPS Divisions, IDB Invest and IDB LAB;
- Maintain the Climate Finance Team project pipeline database and prepare briefings on its current status for management, as required;
- In addition, the consultant will support CSD/CCS other activities related to climate change finance.