UNDP is the United Nation’s Global Development network advocating for change and connecting countries to knowledge, experience and resources to assist people build a better life. UNDP’s vision is to assist countries in achieving the simultaneous eradication of poverty and significant reduction of inequalities and exclusion. To strengthen inclusive and effective governance, the UNDP Strategic Plan focuses ensuring participation and voice in pursuit of equitable access to development opportunities and working with poor and other excluded groups as agents of their own development. It also comes as part of UNDP’s global effort to become a more effective and efficient organization, fit for its purpose – to help countries achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), and leave no one behind. The diversity is reflected in three broad development contexts: eradicating poverty; structural transformations; and building resilience in different areas:
Governance and Peacebuilding;
Inclusive Growth and Sustainable Development
Climate Change and the Environment
Partnership and etc.
The Civil Engineer is responsible for supporting UNDP Kyrgyzstan’s development and management projects and activities. The engineer will provide technical assistance and advisory support services related to the area of expertise. This will include the review of existing documentation related to the civil works, evaluating associated risks, assessing the compliance with construction codes and local laws related to the civil works and construction, producing/revise technical drawings, prepare/revise Bill of Quantities (BoQ) and providing cost estimates and other available documentation as well as prepare reports. The Civil Engineer should be able to provide on-going advise where general engineering advice is beneficial to UNDP’s work, and should be able to carry-out an assessment of construction requirements in a specific areas, provide preliminary data for engineering design/drawings as appropriate, support preparation of the technical documentation as regard to bidding process; take part in the evaluation of the bidding and preparation of Bidding Evaluation Report; supervise design/civil/renovation works, certify and accept design/civil/renovation works.
Civil Engineer provides timely and transparent services to the office ensuring high quality of work, accurate, timely and properly recorded/documented service delivery and promotes a client-focused, quality and results-oriented approach in the office.
The Civil Engineer will report to the Operations Manager and will work in close collaboration with relevant project coordinators and other operations and the programme staff.Duties and Responsibilities
- Conducts field visits and prepares assessment of construction interventions;
- Reviews and assesses technical design documents for construction interventions, providing substantive technical inputs and quality assurance;
- Provides effective support throughout all stages of tendering processes;
- Monitors and supervises construction works.
- Provides general office support.
1. Conducts field visits and prepares assessment of construction interventions
- Field visits to identified potential locations requiring specific technical assistance and, based on performed assessment, recommend best solution for project implementation;
- Site assessment: technical evaluation; ensure necessary permits for civil/renovation works; project site surveillance;
- Preparation of a Terms of references, BoQ and damage statements, and the other necessary documentation for tendering of design/civil/renovation works.
2. Reviews and assesses technical design documents for construction interventions
- Review of technical documentation (geotechnical elaborates, existing and future lay out, Bill of Quantities (BoQ) with estimation of costs, technical description, design and specific drawings, participate in the evaluation of bids process) for specific projects; Review of technical drawings, specifications and Bill of Quantities.
- Analyze measures, quantities and description of each item in the BoQ and materials specifications;
3. Provides effective support throughout all stages of tendering processes
- Provide technical assistance in establishment of common grounds for minimum standards requirements for the implementation of specific (re)construction tasks as required by the specific project;
- Develop technical project and tender documentation (ToR, tender dossier, tender evaluation, etc.) for the implementation of specific (re)construction tasks as required by the specific project and specified by the Programme/Project;
- Ensure that necessary supporting documentation is in place prior to issuance of tender;
- Participate in evaluation of bids and selection of best bidder to the tender for (re)construction works and assessment of the bidder’s competencies and qualification against minimum qualification requirements as per the Request for Proposal/Invitation to Bid requirements;
- Analyze measures, quantities and description of each item in the offers against the original BoQ and materials specifications;
- Analyze and review the offered unit rates against the cost estimate in correlation with BoQs, provided by a design company, and price reasonability assessment;
- Provide written report about the overall compliance of bids and how the bids deviate from internal estimate and provide reasons in case of significant deviations.
4. Monitors and supervises construction works
- Ensure the quality of construction work in accordance with construction norms and rules, including:
- Overall technical supervision of design/civil/renovation works progress
- assistance in Coordination with the contractor of construction works schedule
- control of the conformity of the layout of the construction site and the geometric parameters of the constructed facilities
- quality control of building materials and installed equipment
- verification of compliance technology construction and installation works
- verification and certification of completed construction works
- Ensure that technical documentation on construction site is maintained in accordance with relevant national laws and standards and contract for works;
- Sign off the final handover documentation upon completion of all (re)construction works in each project.
- Assistance in the commissioning of the facility:
- to collect and prepare a complex of executive and delivery documentation for the submission of an acceptance commission
- participation in the work of the acceptance commission and assistance in the elimination of deficiencies in the delivery documentation, if necessary.
5. Provides general office support
- Support in preparation of materials on infrastructure work of cluster required for the purposes of a) annual planning, b) resource mobilization, c) collaboration with partners; and d) reporting to donors, implementing partners and the public;
- Present information on cluster activities on infrastructure work to relevant institutions and governmental bodies;
- Prepare and maintain status reports for projects under implementation and for completed projects.
- Provide recommendations and suggestions to respective Project Coordinators for improvement of the Projects implementation, if and when necessary;
- Undertake regular monitoring field visits to the sub-projects’ sites and report to respective Project Coordinators on the status of activities including suggestions for improvements;
- Assist in the management of logistical support to the cluster;
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity.
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment.
- Self-development, initiative-taking.
- Acting as a team player and facilitating teamwork.
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively.
- Creating synergies through self-control.
- Managing conflict. Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Master’s degree or equivalent in Civil Engineering or architecture or construction works (industrial and civil construction) or another relevant subject
- At least 5 years of professional experience in the field of engineering services including civil works, design estimate development and technical supervision of project sites.
- Work experience with the International organizations / Government institutions, international companies and/or CSOs would be an asset.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.).
- Proven record of successful implementation of various large to small scale infrastructure works in the country.
- Valid certificate for Engineering services (Инжиниринговые услуги)
- Proven experience in providing engineering services to construction projects /sites with a value of $100,000 or above each) for the last 5 years shall be a strong asset.
- Experience in engineering supervision and official handover of construction projects/sites a strong asset.
- Familiarity with the national construction legislation and construction norms and rules.
- Strong analytical and writing skills.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to manage a high workload and deliver to tight deadlines.
- High sense of responsibility.
- Strong personal motivation.
- Fluent in Russian.
- Working knowledge of English
- Knowledge of Kyrgyz is an asset.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.