The Volunteer Solutions Section (VSS) ensures provision of robust and innovative volunteer service offering by UNV, including up to date volunteer modalities, systems and policies, digital solutions, special initiatives and management tools, as well as guidelines for volunteer management. VSS works in close collaboration with all UNV units (Headquarters, the Regional Offices and Country Coordinators) to provide a wide range of specialized products and tools to support onsite and online volunteer mobilization, engagement and management.
Reporting to the Deputy Executive Coordinator, the Chief of the Volunteer Solutions Section leads and coordinates UNV’s efforts for offering demand-driven solutions through tailored systems and products that enable both onsite and online volunteering modalities across the UN system. The Section Chief also develops policy and guidelines to continuously innovate and improve the quality of the UN system’s volunteer solutions and effective implementation.
Product and systems development
- Lead the development of innovative and tailored product line comprised of volunteer modalities that adequately serve the needs of UN partners, improve UNV’s offer of services, and facilitate the implementation of online and onsite volunteer solutions;
- Oversee the development of specifications for systems and tools required for effective volunteer management cycle and monitor all stages of the related final Design process to ensure quality and facilitate their integration into and implementation through pertinent platforms;
- Develop feedback mechanisms to gather reliable data on effectiveness of UNV’s service offering and existing and new volunteer modalities and mechanisms and guide the Section’s team in the identification of shortcomings and development of solutions design;
- Scan volunteer management cycle, programme implementation and evaluation as well as audit recommendations to assess systems improvement requirements, in Coordination with relevant organizational units; and contribute to the implementation of donor and UN partner-funded special volunteer initiatives.
- Ensure volunteer management policy coherence and integration into products and systems, including Conditions of Service, Administrative Guidelines, Standard Operating Procedures and sample Description of Assignments for UN Volunteers;
- Interact closely and consistently with the Volunteer Services Centre, the UN System Affairs (New York) Office and Regional Offices to ensure quality and timely coordinated services supported by the relevant platforms;
- Lead formulation and support implementation of volunteering initiatives in the UN system and to the review of existing ones, including quality assurance for volunteers’ benefits and entitlements, hosting and learning arrangements, based on priorities and evolving needs;
- Promote cross-regional exchange of knowledge and collaboration and in partnership with all UNV units (Headquarters, Regional Offices and Country Coordinators) and spearhead innovation to anticipate and effectively respond to UN system’s evolving needs and requests for support services.
Knowledge management and dissemination
- Contribute in a substantive manner to UNV’s innovation and knowledge generation of strategic volunteer solutions leveraging existing and prospective volunteer modalities, products and systems together with their linkages with managers and donors’ evaluation and audit recommendations;
- Provide strategic advice to senior management on new trends, innovative tools, modalities and methodologies for planning, monitoring and reporting on volunteer management, and foster collaboration of UNV’s relevant organizational units on analytical research of operational and programmatic performance, including through proactive engagement with Regional Offices;
- Support the identification and documentation of key lessons and practices for Capacity Building and cross fertilization.
- Provide intellectual leadership and technical guidance, and coordinate the work of the Volunteer Solutions Services team to ensure coordinated and effective delivery of services;
- Provide technical guidance and foster a supportive and collaborative work environment;
- Manage the staff of the Section including supervision, performance assessment and Capacity Development;
- Establish and monitor implementation of the Section’s annual work plan and set performance indicators;
- Develop and manage the Section’s operating budget.
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work
- Ability to persuade others to follow
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
- Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement
- Ability to make decisions that align with strategy, vision, and mission
Trends and emerging areas analytics
- Ability to scan the horizon and identify approaches and initiatives to bring into policy and programme design
- Ability to perform administrative and procedural activities to ensure that quality requirements and goals are fulfilled
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Knowledge of methodologies, assessment tools, systems and apply practical experience in planning, monitoring, evaluating and reporting and ability to apply to practical situations
- Ability to manage programmes and projects with a strategy aimed at improved performance and demonstrable results
- Ability to engage and foster strategic partnerships with other parties, inter-agency coordination and forge productive working relationships
- Ability to capture, develop, share and effectively use information and knowledge
- Master’s degree in social sciences, statistical Analysis, planning and programme development, monitoring or related fields.
- 10 years of relevant experience in policy development, Data Analysis, and programme management and implementation in the area of international development;
- Experience in managing volunteer programmes and/or in a development context involving volunteers is an asset.
- Fluency in English;
- Proficiency in another official UN language is an asset.
- Only short-listed applicants will be contacted;
- The successful candidate will hold a UNDP letter of appointment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
UNDP/UNV reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP/UNV at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP/UNV is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
UNDP/UNV does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.