Provides portfolio management leadership in the management, implementation, prioritization, sequencing, and selection of projects. Integrates the planning process with the portfolio prioritization process to ensure alignment of the portfolio with the organization’s objectives and constraints. Develops and delivers action-oriented portfolio scorecards, metrics, governance and reporting to support decision making. Provides project and Program Management services including; mentoring, project management best practices, tools and templates. Acts as a communication conduit for portfolio -related project status, actions, decisions, risks and issues and schedules for strategic initiatives. Partners with Project Management Standards Offices to resolve issues and ensure cross- functional project process consistency. May function as a Project Director on large complex multi-sector projects; possesses the skill to manage people, events and diverse cultures and must be proficient in a specific area of expertise. Builds the skills and capabilities of project staff managing projects within the portfolio.Apply Now
- Directs Program and Project Management Leading Practices, Mentoring and Support initiatives.
- Fosters innovation and drives adoption of leading practices and provides subject matter expertise to Project Managers, Project Directors, Director, Programs and Functional Managers and/or business partners related to the project management function, process and/or tools.
- Supports business oriented project management aiding in execution and decision support.
- Actively works with the project, program managers, and other key team members on project and program management techniques and in the creation of appropriate project and program governance.
- Provides capacity planning models and identifies potential resource conflicts across the portfolio.
- Identifies, documents and communicates inter-project dependencies.
- Establishes and facilitates the project portfolio Change Management process.
- Maintains an overall governance and understanding of dependencies associated with resources and projects across the project portfolio.
- Communication conduit for business project status, actions, decisions, risks and issues and schedules for project portfolio.
- Provides project, program and portfolio metrics, and analytics to support business and executive decision making.
- Provides communications to senior management through dashboards and reporting.
- Provides reporting and governance of the portfolio financial health.
- Directs and manages services provider and ensures adherence to the Statement of Work.
- Determination of job level is based on combination of primary and secondary criteria (i.e. Revenue, Headcount, and Number of Contracts/Sub- Awards and other factors).
- Supports performance management and professional development of direct reports, including ongoing feedback, coaching, and career support.
Applied Knowledge & Skills:
- Comprehensive knowledge of theories, concepts, and practices with project management, process development and execution.
- Knowledge of non-profit funding streams, including government and philanthropic.
- Strong time-management, multi- tasking and organizational skills.
- Strong negotiator and collaborator who strengthens business relationships.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong consultative and negotiation skills.
- Strong critical thinking and Problem Solving skills to plan, organize, and manage resources for successful completion of projects.
- Excellent and demonstrated public relations, policy development, project management and diplomacy skills required.
- Adaptable to new approaches to doing business.
- Ability to motivate, influence and collaborate with others across all levels of the organization.
- Ability to speak the country’s language.
- Ability to build positive local working relationships with local communities, district government officials, UN and where appropriate, donor representatives.
- Ability to take initiative and focus on results.
- Ability to learn new skills and systems, with an entrepreneurial work ethic.
Problem Solving & Impact:
- High-level analytical skills to identify appropriate courses of action.
- Identifies potential risks to portfolio execution and recommends corrective actions
- Identifies and incorporates constraints into the portfolio process and recommends solutions
- Decisions and actions have a significant impact on management and division operations.
- Problems encountered are complex and highly varied.
- Exercises judgment to meet business strategies and develops objectives that align with organizational goals.
- Sets goals and budgets for projects and leads department in achieving strategic goals.
- Leads Coordination of resources for ongoing projects across functional areas and addresses/resolves project issues.
- Provides Program Management leadership on complex and cross functional programs as needed.
- Facilitates team discussions to ensure successful outcomes.
- Typically reports to a Business Unit Director.
- Master’s Degree or its International Equivalent • Knowledge/Information Services, Communications, Education, Environment, Health, Behavioral, Life/Social Sciences International Development, Human Development or Related Field.
- Project Management (PM) Certification preferred.
- Typically requires a minimum of 12+ years with project management experience.
- Demonstrated expertise in the implementation of PMOs with an in-depth understanding of change management.
- Demonstrated experience with Analysis" id="link" class="link">Financial Analysis and non-profit accounting.
- Experience operating in insecure environments. Experience working in a non-governmental organization (NGO).
Typical Physical Demands:
- Typical office environment. Ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time; ability to lift 5-50 lbs.
Technology to be Used:
- Personal Computer, Microsoft Office (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.), e-mail, telephone, printer, calculator, copier, cell phones, PDAs and other hand held devices.