CARE seeks a Chief of Party for an anticipated USAID-funded governance activity in Burkina Faso, expected to be a five-year cooperative agreement in the $10-25M range. The Burkina Faso Governance Activity (BFGA) will serve as the leading governance activity of the USAID’s Bridge and Resilience in the Sahel - Enhanced II (RISE II) projects. BFGA is intended to strengthen the performance of state institutions to provide services, respond to key citizen priorities, and respect citizen rights as central elements in enhancing the legitimacy of governments in the Sahel to reduce the vulnerability of citizens to recruitment by violent extremist organizations.
The Chief of Party is accountable for the overall vision and leadership of the project and is accountable for delivering results. The successful candidate should possess significant experience managing program, financial, and operations of USAID-international donor-funded projects. The solicitation is expected to be released in mid-June 2020 with an anticipated award in November 2020. This position is anticipated to be based in Ouagadougou.
This position is subject to project award and funding. International relocation and allowances may be available.
- Oversee the completion of all technical requirements, including project results and deliverables, in accordance with the project work plan.
- Build and maintain productive working relationships with USAID, project partners, and key stakeholders. Serve as the primary liaison among all project stakeholders.
- Manage the project’s operational, financial, and administrative priorities; direct the planning and budgeting processes. Create or adapt Management Systems in line with CARE’s standard operating procedures, ensuring consistency with project needs.
- Build partnerships among international -, national- and community-level stakeholders
- Design and oversee an annual project cycle in accordance with USAID’s annual planning cycles.
- With staff and partners, translate project goals and objectives into implementable strategies and plans. Oversee the preparation of quarterly and annual project activity reports, M&E reports, and other deliverables, as specified in the agreement. Report against the project’s targets.
- Represent the project at high-level meetings, conferences, and other fora.
- Guide team members to fulfill the project’s strategic goals and objectives.
- Supervise and mentor senior staff, delegating responsibilities as appropriate. Clearly communicate expectations for staff performance.
- Master’s degree in a relevant field.
- Minimum of 10 years of professional experience in good governance, decentralization, or a related field.
- Minimum of 8-10 years of senior-level experience in managing complex programs required, including (at least one of the following) prior Chief of Party Deputy Chief of Party, Team Leader, or Director" id="link" class="link">Technical Director experience with outstanding project management, leadership, change/ transformation management, and strong technical skills. Experience managing USAID-funded projects.
- Proven track record managing multi-disciplinary development programs and teams, engaging effectively with stakeholders (national-level and regional-level government; civil society; private sector), fostering collaborative learning and adaptive management, co-creation and implementation of local solutions, and understanding and addressing the needs of the most vulnerable.
- Proven exceptional leadership in the design, management, implementation, Monitoring and Evaluation of similar-sized international donor-supported programs, with skills in strategic planning and thinking, management, supervision and budgeting, and experience managing complex activities involving Coordination with multiple program partner institutions.
- Demonstrated commitment to principles of Gender Equity and Diversity, as evidenced in previous management positions and programming.
- Demonstrated skills building and maintaining relationships with host governments, donors, other donor-funded projects and stakeholders, local organizations, and partners.
- Strong oral and written communication skills; excellent demonstrated interpersonal and negotiation skills.
- Experience recruiting, developing, and managing staff and teams.
- Track record of strong commitment to sharing knowledge, documenting experiences, supporting creative initiatives, and sharing credit.
- Experience managing required programmatic and Financial Reporting requirements. Experience with M&E is a plus.
- Previous experience in Burkina Faso is a strong advantage.
- Fluency in English and French (spoken and written) is required
- Ability to travel within Burkina Faso as required.