CARE is an international NGO with local staff and community partners in more than 90 countries. We create local solutions to poverty and inequality and we seek dignity for everyone every day and during times of crisis. These solutions have a broad range, from clean water to access to education; from microfinance to ensuring that everyone has nutritious food; from Agriculture and Climate Change to Disaster Response. CARE puts women and girls at the center of everything we do because they have proven to be the best hope for creating lasting change in the world. Our staff live where they work, which makes us effective at understanding the challenges they face. We’ve been doing this for over 70 years, since World War II. It started with the world’s first CARE Package® of food for the post-war hungry in Europe. Our work today is as important as ever, we believe that poverty and inequality are historic injustices that we can end within a generation, for good. If you share our core beliefs: poverty is an injustice; poverty is solvable; and together, we have the power to end it, join us, and fight with CARE. The Chief Financial Officer (CFO) provides overall strategic leadership and direction for CARE USA’s worldwide financial and administrative functions. This role requires the constant balancing of maintaining appropriate controls and providing customer service and pursuing forward-looking opportunities and managing risk in a rapidly changing world. T The CFO provides effective and timely communication of critical financial information and recommendations regarding the financial results and condition of the organization, including relevant trends, forecasts, risks and opportunities, to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), COO, the Board, and other executives. He/she serves a as member of CARE USA’s Executive Management Team, contributing to strategy formulation and execution across the organization, including a clear financial strategy. The CFO works with other executives and senior staff to develop business and operational plans, maintaining appropriate governance over investment priorities, cost structures and control systems for the organization. He/she services as strategic thought partner to the CEO and COO to develop aspirational goals and strategies to reach them through trend Analysis, investigation of new opportunities and financial tools, and analysis of CARE’s own capabilities. He/she collaborates across CARE USA departments and with CARE International Finance Directors on the effective stewardship and management of organizational resources, assuring advancement of team priorities and fulfillment of organizational accountabilities. The CFO oversees the annual budget process, monitors revenue and expenses, and enforces budget accountability as necessary, working closely with senior managers in the organization. He/she maintains the framework and develops/updates policies for CARE’s compliance with regulatory and donor requirements as necessary. He/she will also oversee compliance and reporting of major private and institutional donor grants and contracts which make up more than 80% of CARE’s annual budget. The CFO will provide guidance and support related to CARE enterprise-wide and operational risk management processes. He/she will ensure CARE’s investment portfolio is managed in accordance with policy and guidance from the Board Finance Committee. He/she will oversee CARE’s overall financial health and condition, including the management of its operating reserves, liquidity, prudent management of assets, liabilities, and future commitments, including those by CARE’s subsidiaries. Responsibilities:Apply Now
- CFO must provide strong leadership to ensure CARE’s financial stability in a rapidly changing world which will likely see increased disruption in the International NGO sector in the next few years. The CFO must be an active partner in positioning CARE for the future and identify/drive the exploration of relevant strategies to get there.
- As CARE develops its 2022-2025 strategy, governance over financial investments will be key to CARE’s future financial health. This will require both sound prioritization processes and criteria as well as agile decision making and real-time adjustments as plans are implemented.
- The CFO will be a major thought partner to the CEO, COO and Chief Revenue Officer to increase sustainable unrestricted revenue growth.
- While CARE’s current financial position is sound, and its financial operations stable across the people-process-technology spectrum, maintaining and further developing the organization’s finance, award and compliance management capacity across regions and departments is a top priority for the CFO and the senior finance team. This will require a people-centered approach.
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance or Accounting
- Fifteen years of successful professional experience in financial roles of increasing responsibility with well-regarded global companies or organizations, with at least several years in a Senior Leadership role in an organization. Fully familiar with fund accounting and cost recovery in a not for profit setting.
- A track record of sound Financial Management through good times and bad, enabling their company/organization to achieve stretch goals and/or successfully rebound from a crisis
- Excellent communication skills for both internal and external audiences
- Superior people-centered leadership, managerial, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience reporting to, working with, or as a member of an engaged Board of Directors of a mission-driven organization.
- A strategic orientation that includes the ability to think long-term and apply critical analysis and integration of information
- A depth and breadth of fiscal management experience that enables the CFO to translate complex financial information to the entire organization in order to ensure there is a strategic understanding of the fiduciary role and responsibilities within a large, complex organization
- Demonstrated team orientation and proven experience working effectively in a multi-cultural, highly matrixed and networked global organization. Adaptability to work across department boundaries, disciplines, cultures and time zones.
- Proven Crisis Management in complex settings.