WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.ABOUT WFP
Assisting 91.4 million people in around 83 countries each year, the World Food Programme (WFP) is the leading humanitarian organization saving lives and changing lives, delivering food assistance in emergencies and working with communities to improve nutrition and build resilience. On any given day, WFP has 5,000 trucks, 20 ships and 92 planes on the move, delivering food and other assistance to those in most need. Every year, we distribute more than 15 billion rations at an estimated average cost per ration of US$ 0.31. These numbers lie at the roots of WFP’s unparalleled reputation as an Emergency responder, one that gets the job done quickly at scale in the most difficult environments. WFP’s efforts focus on emergency assistance, relief and rehabilitation, development aid and special operations.
WFP Ethiopia is working with the government and other humanitarian partners to strengthen the resilience of Ethiopia’s most vulnerable population and to chart a more prosperous and sustainable future for the next generation. The Country Office also supports programmes that use food assistance to empower women, transform areas affected by Climate Change and keep children in school. It aims to contribute to Ethiopia’s five-year development agenda, the Growth and Transformation Plan (GTP), through which the Government combats Food Insecurity.ORGANIZATIONAL CONTEXT
Job holder provides basic medical assistance at nursing level, performs front office management functions at the Ethiopia Medical Assistance Team (EMAT) clinic in the CO, supports the EMAT Project Manager with the administrative issues and reports technical issues to the EMAT head doctor.
Incumbents take responsibility for completion of a range of activities, including nursing activities and Business Support activities requiring some interpretation of standard guidelines/practices. Job holders recommend a course of action to staff at various levels and may allocate tasks to more junior colleagues.JOB PURPOSE
Job holder is a Nurse and BSA based in the CO, Addis Ababa – expected to employ their nursing experience as well as general administrative and medical administrative experiences to deliver a wide range of nursing and business support processes with professionalism within the EMAT project. Their role will facilitate the effective delivery of quality medical services to WFP staff & their family members along with other team players, EMAT Medical Officers, EMAT Head Doctor and EMAT Project Manager.KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Collect visit and pharmaceutical utilization information from the other team members and consolidate data in EMAT official reports, documents and correspondence.
- Administer recommended vaccines on a case-by-case basis (following standard operating procedures of the Medical Section which are based on World Health Organization and Centres for Disease Control recommendations) and record the administered vaccines on the international vaccination card.
- Provide support to EMAT members in the planning, implementation and evaluation of health protection and prevention programmes concerning WFP staff.
- Provide medical support to WFP staff and their eligible dependents for minor medical conditions, whenever the doctor is not immediately available.
- Provide Health Education trainings to employees and family members
- Respond to standard queries and provide timely and accurate guidance.
- Process and manage routine administrative and financial tasks in various functional areas, to contribute to the effective and timely management of resources.
- Maintain records and databases, to ensure information is organised and readily available for staff.
- Maintain relationships with a range of individuals through provision of business support to assist in information sharing and service delivery to staff.
- Proof-read reports, documentation, correspondence, etc., making changes in line with established guidelines where appropriate.
- Contribute to improvement of business procedures and processes.
- Assist EMAT Project Manager with all the administrative and procurement related activities.
- Perform any other related duties as required.
- To have good nursing skills, knowledge of first aid delivery and vital sign measurement ability
- To have good knowledge of different classes of pharmaceuticals, consumables, medical equipment
- To have good knowledge of conducting stock inventory - keeping methods (spreadsheet), packing & dispatching ability of medications, consumables, etc. with keeping stock balance
- To have knowledge of critical medical conditions to support doctors in case of emergencies
- To have knowledge of administering, scheduling & to understand Cold Chain system of different
Education: Completion of secondary school education. A post-secondary certificate in the related functional areas & level II certification in nursing, pharmacy, public health or any other related medical fields is desirable.
Experience: Five or more years of progressively responsible work experience in general administrative field of which at least two years in a medical-related field. Having experience in the UN medical service is desirable.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Knowledge of specialized nursing practices and methods gained through relevant technical training and experience.
- Knowledge of specialized common business practices and methods gained through relevant technical training and experience.
- Ability to develop and maintain relationships with a range of individuals to provide a high-quality support service.
- Ability to manage data and independently highlight problems requiring attention.
- Ability to monitor and record financial transactions.
- Good communication skills required to give and receive information and work with a variety of individuals.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to demonstrate quality customer services personality (integrity, passion, compassionate, etc.)
Language: Fluency in both oral and written communication in English. Knowledge of the local language is added advantage.4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Helps teammates articulate WFP’s Strategic Objectives.
- Be a force for positive change: Suggests potential improvements to team’s work processes to supervisor.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Explains the impact of WFP activities in beneficiary communities to teammates.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Articulates how own unit’s responsibilities will serve WFP’s mission.
- Look for ways to strengthen people's skills: Trains junior teammates on new skills and capabilities.
- Create an inclusive culture: Seeks opportunities to work with people from different backgrounds.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Serves as a peer coach for colleagues in same area of work.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Tracks progress toward goals and shares this information on a regular basis with supervisor.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Explores ways to consistently be more efficient and accurate in own areas of work and shares new methods of work with colleagues.
- Focus on getting results: Focuses on getting results and tracks trends in completion rates for own tasks to identify opportunities for efficiency.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Takes responsibility for own tasks and notifies supervisor as soon as possible of potential delays in meeting deadlines or commitments.
- Be Decisive: Independently decides what action to take when faced with critical choices in the workplace or in dangerous situations in the field.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Suggests opportunities for partnering with other units to supervisor.
- Build strong external partnerships: Identifies opportunities to work with colleagues and partners in the field towards common goals.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Develops an understanding of the value of WFP’s teams and external partners in fulfilling team’s goals and objectives.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Aligns own activities with supervisor’s priorities to fulfill internal and external partner needs.
WFP is an equal opportunity employer. Female candidates meeting the above qualifications are encouraged to apply on-line through WFP recruitment website.
This VA is open ONLY to Ethiopian Nationals.
Please note that WFP does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process. Only qualified candidates will be contacted.WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.