WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the leading humanitarian organization saving lives and changing lives, delivering food assistance in emergencies and working with communities to improve Nutrition and build resilience. We are seeking to fill a full - time remote position of Business Engagement Consultant for a period of 6 months (further extension of contract and/or relocation to Rome is possible). Remote working hours must include those coinciding with 10 am – 4 pm Rome time (including time for a lunch break), to allow efficient management of the responsibilities.
The Technology Division (TEC) is the digital business engine of WFP, providing the business with multi-pronged and resilient technical capabilities able to respond with the immediate agility required in conflict zones on the one hand and with the longer-term stability to cope Natural Disasters on the other.
The Business Engagement team works across business areas in WFP to understand their evolving strategy and guide their digital thinking. The team is the first point of contact within TEC for teams wanting to use data and automation to optimise their business functions.
The Business Engagement Consultant (BEM) will provide support across various business areas to help shape the demand for technology and the use of data for decision making by business teams. The Junior Consultant will build trust through relationships with operational level contacts to ensure that essential projects are prioritized and scheduled. The Junior Consultant will also support the general demand management process and work under the supervision and guidance of a Senior BEM. You should be interested in digital planning but above all enjoy building connections and relationships across WFP business teams.
- Provide support to the Senior BEM across business areas as needed.
- Develop an understanding of evolving business models, regardless of technology, helping to draft and update relevant Business Roadmaps.
- Understand new technology trends, forecast future requirements and help to guide business strategies to include a digital dimension.
- Keep updated the overview of technology these teams are using (portfolio healthcheck), and how effective/fit for purpose it is, using the Portfolio Health check template.
- Support the use of these two documents to shape legitimate demand and prioritise for scheduling.
- Schedule and facilitate two annual vertical meetings with TEC on portfolios and two annual Director level meetings per portfolio.
- Engage and participate in portfolio meetings, following up on outstanding issues, and flagging concerns as they arise.
- Liaise with colleagues in the TEC division on projects and risks related to portfolios.
- Work with the other BEMS preparing periodic updates on projects and issues for TEC management.
- Follow the technology development taking place outside of the TEC division in these teams to ensure all is registered and abiding by the framework for Software Development, support and maintenance.
- Thoroughly understand existing TEC solutions and articulate their value to these business areas. Understand and communicate relevant new products, features and capabilities.
- Liaise with other Business Engagement Managers in Regional Bureaus and in Headquarters to ensure an integrated, coherent approach to the technology / data used for assigned portfolios.
- Include content from assigned portfolios in key TEC events.
- Other duties as required.
DELIVERABLES AT THE END OF THE CONTRACT:
- Business Roadmaps, portfolio healthcheck are up to date and approved with the business across portfolio.
- Vertical and Director level meetings are scheduled twice a year.
- Supported portfolio meetings as needed.
- Effectively facilitated inputs for and follow ups from Demand Assessment Board.
- Demand process has worked smoothly, with Demand Board taking place every two weeks and follow up actions tracked and completed.
- Glass is updated with relevant information across portfolio.
- Ensured that key, legitimate development is scheduled for assigned portfolio.
- Seen as a collaborative team member.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
University degree in Economics, Business Management, Technology or another relevant field.
- At least 3 years of relevant working experience, including experience in:
- Project management,
- Partnering / building collaborations,
- Business strategy, and
- Shaping the need for new technologies
- Experience in the humanitarian sector would be an advantage
Knowledge & Skills:
- Intermediate knowledge of evolving technology
- Ability to develop and deliver effective presentations
- Excellent communicator and relationship builder
- Good analytical skills
- Ability to prioritize and drive sound business decisions
- Good negotiation skills
Fluency in oral and written English is essential. Intermediate knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian and Spanish) or Portuguese (one of WFP’s working languages) is desirable.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
WFP offers a competitive compensation package which will be determined by the contract type and selected candidate’s qualifications and experience.
Please visit our website for detailed information on working with WFP: http://www.wfp.org Click on: “Our work” and “Countries” to learn more about WFP’s operations.
Deadline for applications: 22 June 2020 at 11:59pm Rome time
Qualified female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply.
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.