Communications staff contribute to advocacy efforts, raise awareness of the issues the foundation addresses, work to protect and advance the foundation’s reputation, and oversee all internal and external communications functions.
Position Summary & Responsibilities
Brand and Digital Communications Specialist, India will be based in the India country office and will work for a limited period of time to support efforts towards strengthening the foundation's digital presence and voice, raising public awareness of the issues we work on, and building the public will to address those problems.
This is a Limited Time Employee (LTE) role (9 months) as a backfill for the Communications Officer who will be taking 6-month parental leave.
As the brand and digital communication specialist, the incumbent will be responsible for building the foundation’s digital strategy and brand presence in line with our global image. The role requires a person who has a good understanding of brand management, consumer research and insights; is creative, digitally savvy, and has sharp acumen for data and research. High degree of coordination with the global communication team will be necessary to ensure a unified representation of the global brand in a locally relevant context. The ideal candidate is a collaborative who excels at both strategic thinking and at the implementation, execution and delivery of projects.
Primary goals include:
Digital Strategy development and execution:
- Design, build and maintain digital presence of the foundation in India, working in collaboration with local and global communications teams. Develop an integrated digital strategy and implement it across SEO/SEM, CRM, email, social media and paid channels.
- Measure the impact of our digital strategies and channels in reaching our key audiences and stakeholders with messages that advance program goals.
- Working with the global communications team, grow our influencer audience in India, moving them toward strongly caring for the foundation’s issues. Find and engage the appropriate local team to support this work. Working with the local partner, identify and build supplemental key audiences in India.
- Working with agency partners, develop proactive and reactive digital content informed by digital strategies and social listening insights. Test trends and new approaches including leveraging novel social products.
- Day-to-day management of digital activities through strong program-led editorial calendars and project management skills. The incumbent should have strong experience in publishing in digital channels, including writing posts and engaging with users.
- Co-lead relationship with digital and creative agency partners; including working collaboratively with external communication team to identify and build a strong cadre of foundation’s Agencies of Record (AOR) to ensure a variety of vendors who can help us connect the right audience with the right messages
- Manage workflow and budget, including work outsourced to external digital partners
- Utilize foundation enterprise digital listening tools to measure the current status of program online communities and develop strong proactive strategies to shape narratives on these issues.
- Set performance KPIs for digital activities and work with partners to achieve benchmarks. Regularly share reports on performance with local and global colleagues.
- Collaborate with sector partners and key influencers on delivering coordinated issue campaigns. Build a strong digital culture in the foundation by being an evangelist and promoter of the media.
Brand strategy development and execution: Work closely with the global and India external communication team to build and maintain a strong and locally relevant brand of the foundation in India that is integrated with the global brand, including:
- Help monitor and measure perceptions develop communication strategies to advance the foundation’s mission in India.
- Using external and internal research and support in development and deployment of communication strategies to address gaps.
- Assist in creation of tailored narrative about the foundation and its operating model such that it effectively conveys the aspirations and goals of the foundation’s collaborations with stakeholders in India as well as the progress and learnings of current foundation programs.
- Add something like: maintain style guides/brand guidelines in coordination with global communication.
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders to develop and help in execution of brand communication strategies designed to reach diverse audiences across India who are critical to the success of the foundation’s program strategies.
- Develop a suite of collaterals and distribution strategy through which this brand narrative is realized to reach the target audiences.
- Develop and maintain properties that deliver on the brand promise.
- Co-lead relationship with external brand and creative agency partners; including working collaboratively with external communication team to identify and build a strong cadre of foundation’s Agencies of Record (AOR) to ensure a variety of vendors who can help us connect the right audience with the right messages
- Help manage workflow and budget, including work outsourced to communications agency partners.
- Master’s in Business Administration or a specialization in digital marketing is desirable, with a minimum of 5-7 years of experience in brand and digital management.
- Communications professional with experience working with managing digital and brand communication in India or in international markets and experience serving as managing significant brand / product portfolios for a significant, high-profile organization such as a major non-profit entity, government agency, or public corporation.
- Proven track record in digital marketing with high profile individuals or entities is preferred.
- In-depth knowledge of digital brand communications, social marketing, SEO & SEM, CRM, research and analytics.
- Contacts within the new media in India preferred.
- Able to bridge the needs of the new media and internal constituencies.
- Able to drive consumer centric brand and digital strategies to advance our country and program objectives.
- Advanced knowledge of consumer insights development and deployment, segmentation and targeting, and to be able to demonstrate the impact of deployed strategies.
- Demonstrated success in developing and managing digital and brand communication for your organization around policy initiatives, communications programs, and projects.
- Analytical skills and ability to understand audience insights and research, development of brand architecture, positioning and product communications, and further research to measure the impact of the deployed strategies.
- Analytical skills and ability to understand digital landscape, channels, tools to develop sharp and targeted strategies to reach diverse audiences and ability to measure impacts. Experience working with a CRM system to deliver and measure digital activities; Salesforce experience preferred.
- Work experience requiring strong written and oral communication skills for a broad and diverse audience, including experience preparing communication materials with complex subject matter.
- Substantial exposure to political issues (domestic and/or international), where significant discretion and judgment must be exercised.
- Demonstrated effectiveness and interest in leading and coordinating colleagues from across a variety of disciplines in a complex organization.
- Enthusiasm for, and commitment to, the foundation’s mission, issues, and ideas.
- Ability to work with flexibility, efficiency, and diplomacy both individually and as part of a complex team effort.