The EIB, the European Union's bank, is seeking to recruit for its Legal Directorate (JU) - Legal Department, Operations 1 (JU/OPS 1) – Western Europe B Division (WE-B) at its headquarters in Luxembourg, a Banking and Finance Lawyer – Qualified in either French or Spanish Law. This is a full time position at grade 4/5. The term of this contract will be 4 years. Panel interviews are anticipated for end of September. The EIB offers fixed-term contracts of up to a maximum of 6 years, according to business needs, with a possibility to convert to a permanent contract, subject to organisational requirements and individual performance.Apply Now
PurposeThe Western Europe B Division (WE-B) deals with: the legal documentation and legal issues for (i) lending operations in the United Kingdom and Ireland, (ii) debt restructuring inside and outside the European Union and (iii) fund investments inside and outside the European Union. You will assist the Head of Division and Head of Department, together with other legal advisers, in providing legal support to the operational directorates, carrying out work related to all tasks within the remit of the division.
Operating NetworkAs a Banking and Finance Lawyer, Internally referred to as (Associate) Officer Legal Services, you will act under the authority of the Head of Division, in cooperation with the other lawyers of the WE‑B Division and in accordance with the priorities established by the Head of Division (in Coordination with the Head of Department). The post may involve a certain amount of travel for negotiations and signatures of legal documentation and contracts.
AccountabilitiesYou will carry out work related to all of the division's responsibilities and work independently on lending and financing operations. You will draw up, as necessary, reports on completed transactions and prepare your own proposals when consulted on fundamental or unusual issues. You will:
- Draft and negotiate legal documentation for lending and financing operations;
- This includes advising on structuring, drafting of documents, legal advisory support, conclusion of contracts, completion of all related legal formalities, and legal monitoring;
- This position would have a very strong emphasis on restructurings in France and/or Spain, and would include advising on insolvency-related matters and extensive liaison with external Counsel;
- Contribute to the formulation of legal policies in the area of activity of the Division and make recommendations for the implementation of new methods and procedures within your area of expertise;
- Manage contracts and negotiations;
- Prepare terms of reference for external counsel and other consultants, liaise with them whenever necessary;
- Complete administrative formalities vis-à-vis clients;
- Undertake research and conduct legal studies on issues of law arising in connection with the Bank's operations and in the context of the activity of the Division;
- Develop and maintain relationships within the Bank and represent EIB externally.
- University degree in law, preferably at Master level, and qualification in either French or Spanish law;
- Significant experience in bank lending and in the drafting and negotiation of finance documentation in either French or Spanish and English;
- Solid experience of project finance or PPP transactions and/or experience in insolvency law would be an advantage;
- Minimum 3 years of post-qualification professional experience relevant for the job, in the field of bank lending, acquired with a law firm of international repute or the in-house legal department of a financial institution;
- Very good knowledge of standard computer tools;
- Excellent knowledge of written and spoken French or Spanish and a good command of English (and French (*)).