Background: The Legal Department is seeking an attorney who will advise Bank Management and offices either with respect to institutional and corporate matters, or sovereign-guaranteed operations. The team: The Legal Department (LEG) advises the IDB President and Management and when appropriate, the Board of Governors and the Board of Executive Directors, on all legal matters relating to the Bank. What you’ll do: Functions include, but are not limited to:
- Provide legal advice and participate in project teams for sovereign and sovereign-guaranteed operations (loans, technical cooperation, grants, guarantees), including their planning, negotiation and execution in the Bank’s borrowing member countries.
- Contribute to policy development, Design of Bank operational products, implementation and interpretation of operational policies, development of model contracts, and other specialized areas of sovereign-guaranteed operations practice.
- Provide legal advice and draft legal documentation for the mobilization of resources for Bank operations, including the management of trust funds, co-financing, investment activities and other transactions for asset and liability management.
- Provide legal advice on policies of the Bank, including the Agreement Establishing the Bank, and on administrative and institutional legal matters, such as: Bank privileges and immunities in its member countries; Administration of Country Offices; Human Resources administration; design and implementation of personnel and administrative policies; institutional integrity; procurement and intellectual property.
- Support in the management of legal disputes of which the Bank is a party, act as legal representative of the Bank and perform legal research and Analysis for proceedings in member country judicial and administrative systems, supervise and collaborate with external legal Counsel.
Skills you’ll need:
Education: Juris Doctor, LL.M. or equivalent from an accredited law school in a Bank member country, admission to practice law in at least one IDB member country. Knowledge of both civil and common law systems is beneficial.
Experience: At least 5 years of relevant professional legal experience since earning law degree.
Languages: Fluency in Spanish and at least one other of the Bank’s official languages (English, French or Portuguese) is required. Fluency in more than two official languages is desirable.
Type of contract: Fixed Term
Length of contract: 3 years
Estimated starting date: As soon as possible
Location: Washington D.C.
Requirements: You must be a citizen of one of the IDB’s 48 member countries and have no family members currently working at the IDB Group.
Our culture: Working with us you will be surrounded by a diverse group of people who have years of experience in all types of development fields, including transportation, health, gender and diversity, communications and much more.
About us: At the Inter-American Development Bank, we’re devoted to improving lives. Since 1959, we’ve been a leading source of long-term financing for economic, social, and institutional development in Latin America and the Caribbean. We do more than lending though. We partner with our 48 member countries to provide Latin America and the Caribbean with cutting-edge research about relevant development issues, policy advice to inform their decisions, and technical assistance to improve on the planning and execution of projects. For this, we need people who not only have the right skills, but also are passionate about improving lives.
Payment and Conditions: Compensation will be determined in accordance with Bank’s policies and procedures. The Bank, pursuant to applicable policies, may contribute toward travel and moving expenses. In addition, candidates must be citizens of an IDB member country.
Visa and Work Permit: The Bank, pursuant to applicable policies, may submit a visa request to the applicable immigration authorities; however, the granting of the visa is at the discretion of the immigration authorities. Notwithstanding, it is the responsibility of the candidate to obtain the necessary visa or work permits required by the authorities of the country(ies) in which the services will be rendered to the Bank. If a candidate cannot obtain a visa or work permit to render services to the Bank the contractual offer will be rescinded.
Consanguinity: Pursuant to applicable Bank policy, candidates with relatives (including the fourth degree of consanguinity and the second degree of affinity, including spouse) working for the IDB, IDB Invest, or MIF as staff members or Complementary Workforce contractuals, will not be eligible to provide services for the Bank.
Diversity: The Bank is committed to diversity and inclusion and to providing equal opportunities to all candidates. We embrace diversity on the basis of gender, age, education, national origin, ethnic origin, race, disability, sexual orientation, and religion. We encourage women, Afro-descendants and persons of indigenous origins to apply.
Due to the current Covid-19 pandemic and its implications for our Region, the IDB Group is reviewing its hiring needs and re-prioritizing its areas of talent acquisition. We encourage candidates to continue to apply to the active postings, yet current job openings may be subject to further decisions in terms of timing of the processes, or other actions, in accordance with business needs. Final hiring decisions may also be conditioned to the candidate’s ability to timely relocate to the post of duty at the moment of starting service.Additional Information