The EIB, the European Union's bank, is seeking to recruit for its Legal Directorate (JU), Legal Department, Operations 1 (OPS 1), New Products Division (NP) at its headquarters in Luxembourg, a (Associate) Venture Debt Lawyer. This is a full time position at grade 4/5. The term of this contract will be 4 years. Panel interviews are anticipated for end of September. The EIB offers fixed-term contracts of up to a maximum of 6 years, according to business needs, with a possibility to convert to a permanent contract, subject to organisational requirements and individual performance.Apply Now
PurposeThe New Products Division deals with EIB new products development and implementation, including corporate finance, infrastructure finance and structured finance for financial intermediaries (risk sharing, securitisation). The Division also handles for the Legal Directorate a broad range of transversal matters including the legal aspects of implementation of new policy or strategic initiatives, and questions of contractual standards/templates for EIB lending operations. As a successful candidate, you will assist the Head of Division together with other lawyers, in providing legal support to the operational Directorates and carrying out work relating to tasks within the Division's remit. The main focus will be on the Venture Debt product which finances the growth stage of innovative companies across the EU. This involves legal work both on loan agreements and equity upside arrangements such as warrants, profit participation schemes and royalty arrangements.
Operating NetworkAs an (Associate) Venture Debt Lawyer, internally referred to as (Associate) Officer Legal Services, you will act under the authority of the Head of Division, in cooperation with the other lawyers of the Division and in accordance with the priorities established by the Head of Division (in Coordination with the Head of Department). The post may involve a certain amount of travel for negotiations and signatures of legal documentation and contracts.
- Manage contacts and negotiations concerning the EIB operations handled by the Division (within and outside the EU), working with documents subject to numerous jurisdictions and with counterparts in several countries (and with internal counterparts in several different areas of the Bank)
- Draft documents, provide advisory legal support, finalise contracts, complete all related legal formalities and legal monitoring (including restructuring and other post-signature events), often with the assistance of external Counsel
- Contribute to the development and implementation of new products, including credit enhancements, risk sharing facilities, subordinated loans and quasi-equity financings, and to the implementation of innovative Financial Instruments
- Contribute to the development of standard legal documentation for the EIB operations and to the sharing of knowledge on legal documentation for the Bank’s products
- Contribute to the development and evolution of contractual and operational policy
- Contribute to research on legal matters in more standard transactions or activities
- Develop and maintain constructive relationships with other directorates within the Bank
- University degree in Law. Professional legal qualification in either a common law or civil law jurisdiction
- At least 3 years of relevant, professional post-qualification experience preferably in the field of Banking and finance acquired with a firm of international repute or the in-house department of a financial institution.
- Significant experience in the drafting and negotiation of finance and/or equity documentation in English
- Solid experience in the area of structured finance and/or equity finance would be an advantage
- Very good knowledge of the standard computer tools
- Excellent knowledge of written and spoken English and good knowledge of French(*). Any other European language would be an advantage.