Organizational SettingThe post of Associate Translator is located in the Arabic Translation Section of the Language Division of the Administration and Management Sector. The Language Division is responsible for delivering comprehensive and high-quality Language Services in relation to: the translation of treaties and other international instruments administered by WIPO, national legislative texts, documents for the Assemblies of Member States, publications, reports of meetings and conferences and working documents for committees of experts and other bodies, and the WIPO website; and the provision of interpretation services for the meetings of the WIPO Assemblies, committees and meetings organized by the various sectors.Purpose StatementThe incumbent undertakes translation work in Arabic that meets quality and quantity standards, and participates in terminology and other related work Reporting LinesThe incumbent works under the supervision of the Head of the Arabic Translation Section.
Duties and Responsibilities
The incumbent will perform the following principal duties:
- Translate documents on a wide range of political, legal, administrative, scientific and technical subjects from English and from at least one other official UN language into Arabic and perform a range of pre-translation activities;
- Provide translation and related services during conferences and high-level meetings.
- Collect, compile, extract and propose new records or terms to support the development and maintenance of an integrated multilingual terminology database;
- Perform referencing and research activities to ensure high-quality pre-translation and terminology work;
- Provide input and support in relation to computer-assisted-translation and terminology (CATT) tools, including tasks such as training colleagues and testing and exploring new tools;
- Carry out first-level Quality Control of translations to check for typographical and grammatical mistakes, ensure compliance with formatting standards and signal possible content-related inaccuracies to other Translators / Revisers;
- Perform other related duties as required.
First-level university degree in linguistics, translation or related discipline. A relevant advanced university degree may be accepted in lieu of two years of experience.
At least three years of relevant professional work experience in translation, editing and using CATT tools.
Translation experience acquired in an international environment. Experience using MultiTrans.
Mother tongue level of Arabic and excellent knowledge of English.
Knowledge of other official UN languages.
Job Related Competencies (Essential)
Sound translation and editing skills, with the ability to produce accurate, clear and stylistically appropriate translations. Ability to work rapidly and accurately within strict time limits. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and ability to maintain effective partnerships and working relations in a multi-cultural environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity. Confident user of Microsoft Office applications (e.g. Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint) and the Internet and the ability to quickly adapt to new software.
Job Related Competencies (Desirable)
Knowledge of the subject matter dealt with by WIPO. Familiarity with emerging translation technologies.
- Communicating effectively.
- Showing team spirit.
- Demonstrating integrity.
- Valuing diversity.
- Producing results.
- Showing service orientation.
- Seeing the big picture.
- Seeking change and innovation.
- Developing yourself and others.