Purpose of Job: The Associate provides legal assistance and support to OGC Counsel in the Corporate Team in their work, acting under the general supervision of OGC counsel in simple matters, and under their close supervision in more complex matters. The Associate supports the Corporate Team within OGC by assisting the members of such team in the provision of all relevant Legal Services in their areas of responsibility (primarily employment and institutional matters, but also including administrative and co-financing matters), ensuring the highest standards of documentation, protection of EBRD's interests and compliance with EBRD's mandate, policies, and procedures. Typical responsibilities of the Corporate Team include: dealing with contentious staff matters under international administrative Law; providing advice on the development and implementation of EBRD’s internal employment law as well as other institutional policies and directives, providing advice and making representations on EBRD’s status as an international organisation and the application of its privileges and immunities; as well as drafting and negotiating corporate contracts and donor co-financing agreements. The Associate may interact directly with a large number of internal and external stakeholders at various levels. Accountabilities & Responsibilities:Apply Now
- Provides specialist legal advice in a multi-disciplinary operational team with a view to protect EBRD’s interests and ensure compliance with EBRD’s internal policies. Assists counsel in all aspects of their work. On simple matters advises clients under the general supervision of counsel and on more complex matters under their close supervision.
- Advises on legal matters in relation to the home jurisdiction of the Associate.
- Drafts, reviews, comments on and negotiates legal documentation, subject to further review and comments from counsel, with a view to eliminate legal risks and ensure adherence to EBRD standards. Analyses legal risks and recommends solutions for the consideration of counsel.
- Monitors and reviews the work of outside counsel within the framework agreed with counsel. Carries out the initial review of their work products and discusses comments with counsel.
- Develops and preserves thorough knowledge of EBRD’s internal policies, procedures and templates with a view to ensure compliance of activities with such policies, procedures and templates. Follows up on legal developments in the Corporate Team areas of responsibility.
- Follows up on the deliverables and deadlines for a portfolio of activities in order to ensure their timely completion. Identifies and flags potential threats in a timely manner to avoid delays.
- Is a primary point of contact for small scale standard activities, with guidance from counsel where needed.
- Conducts Legal Research, as instructed by counsel.
- Where applicable, assists counsel in carrying out OGC led activities.
- A law degree from a leading university in his or her home country and a post graduate law degree from a leading university, or work experience gained, in each case, in a country other than his or her home country.
- Normally not less than two years prior work experience as a lawyer in private practice or comparable working environment ensuring (i) familiarity with the types and structures of activities of the relevant OGC legal teams, the documentation involved, and drafting and negotiation skills, and (ii) the role of an outside counsel.
- Excellent command of written and spoken English enabling drafting and negotiation of legal documents. Preferably fluent in a language of one of the Bank’s countries of operations.
- Excellent Project Management skills, ability to monitor and follow up on many activities concurrently under time constraints and ability to understand and manage priorities.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to explain legal matters and provide guidance in resolving legal issues.