Position: Asia Regional Roving Program Manager
Location: Lyon, France and 50% in the country offices (Afghanistan, Iran, Bangladesh, Myanmar, Pakistan, Philippines)
Duration: CDI (not fixed term contract)
Reports to: Asia Regional Director and Country Directors while on field missions
Relief International is a leading nonprofit organization working in 18 countries to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. We specialize in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises and chronic poverty.
Relief International combines humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach — which we call the RI Way—emphasizes local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships and a focus on civic skills. In this way, we empower communities to find, Design and implement the solutions that work best for them.
Relief International includes the four corporate members of the RI Alliance: RI-US, RI-UK, MRCA/RI-France and RI-Europe. Under our alliance agreement, we operate as a single, shared management structure. In addition, RI has country offices registered as affiliates of one of the alliance members in an additional 18 countries.
RI is looking for an Asia Regional Rowing Program Manager (PM), able to provide surge support or fill possible gaps quickly and efficiently in the Country Offices of the Asia Region. The surge support or gap filling can consist in, but are not limited to, coordinating project design, leading Program Development including drafting and consolidating concept notes and proposals, projects mobilization and kick-off, covering the absence or late deployment of key program staff, consolidating the team during Emergency Response… While in the field, the Rowing PM will ensure quality implementation, efficient use of budget, timely completion and donor reporting for the projects or activities assigned to. The Rowing PM will also cover gaps and support the country support departments: finance, HR and logistics based on needs. The Rowing Manager can be deployed in Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Iran, Myanmar, Pakistan and Philippines and would possibly be involved in sub-regional or cross-border advocacy, programming and Coordination with key actors. In France, the Rowing Program Manager will support the development MRCA/RI-France network and visibility with other actors of the sector such as French and European NGOs and networks, French and European donors, education and vocational training institutions.
Position Responsibilities and Duties:
Under the Country or Program Director’s responsibility, the Asia Regional Rowing Program Manager (PM) will deploy for missions of 2 to 4 weeks, to the field in the Asia Region, in support to the Country Offices (50%), to:
- Temporarily fill vacant positions, or replace absent staff within the Program Unit (Program Director, Program Manager, Team Leader, Program Development Manager, MEL Manager, Field Manager, sector-specific positions…), or provide surge support to the Program Unit.
- Temporarily fill vacant positions, replace absent staff, or provide surge support to cover possible gaps in key country office positions.
- Deploy for specific ad-hoc missions, such as Emergency Response, Capacity Building on Emergency Preparedness, Development of Cash programming, Program Development for a particular call and Project mobilization or closing.
- Provide additional leadership and management capacity during program mobilization, implementation, completion and reporting.
- Manage the program team under his/her responsibility, as assigned by the CD or Program Director in country, ensuring efficiency and engagement by all team members.
- When required by and under the supervision of the Asia Program Director, conduct field visits, for monitoring, consultation with key stakeholders and providing support to program teams for ensuring timely and effective project implementation, determining gaps and needs, addressing them and taking corrective measures within appropriate timelines.
- Support the development of needs assessments, screening, KAP and PDM questionnaires and conduct in-depth Analysis on the same.
- Contribute to donor engagement and program development, through direct networking, position papers, concept notes or situational reports.
- Contribute to the development of sub-regional strategies and advocacy (as Afghan displacement and Rohingya crisis) and represent RI in the ADSP technical committee.
Remote Program Management and preparation of field missions (10%)
- Before each field mission, the PM will:
- get familiar with the context, existing programs, donor portfolio, active partnerships and progress in program implementation;
- establish the plan and objectives of the field mission in coordination with the Country Director and Country Program Team, as well as with the Regional Program Director.
- Provide remote support to Country Program teams in program development, project monitoring, evaluation and reporting
- After field missions, the PM will:
- develop the necessary SOPs, systems and procedures remotely, as discussed in country offices;
- draft field mission reports with achievements and recommendations for the Country Director, the Regional Program Director and the Regional Director.
Develop MRCA/RI-France network and visibility (40%)
- Support the Asia Regional Director in the development of MRCA/RI-France and the RI Alliance profile and reputation, and their insertion into the humanitarian and development sectors in France and Europe.
- Develop the network of MRCA/RI-France with other international NGOs in France and in Europe. Identify the synergies among agencies and possible partnerships for greater programming for Asia and possibly other regions.
- Represent MRCA/RI-France during events organized by other international agencies on matters related to RI field of expertise and geographical coverage.
- Engage with French and European donor agencies to promote RI programming in Asia and in other regions.
- Develop concept notes, position papers and presentations on Relief International programming internationally.
- Contribute to the organization of events hosted by Relief International on sub-regional matters or others.
- Develop partnership with education and training institutions and universities in France.
- Develop the internship and volunteering in MRCA/RI-France office.
- Support the development of private donation campaign strategies and actions.
Lead the organization of events to increase RI profile and reputation in France.
Support the Asia Regional Director in the administrative management of MRCA/RI-France (suppliers, service providers, office rent, bank services, IT services, etc.)
Areas of Expertise:
RI wishes to identify a Rowing Program Manager with demonstrated experience and expertise in:
- Programming in emergency, protracted crisis, and development settings
- Program Design and development, most notably for the European Union (EU), ECHO, DEVCO and French Development Agency (AFD)
- Experience in working with partnerships is beneficial and desirable
- Design and implementation of programs in fragile settings and for refugee and IDP populations
- Technical writing for proposals, M&E design, program reports, and strategic planning
- Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning in programming
- Team and Office Management (including good understanding of support services)
- Networking and Engagement with international partners and donors
Qualifications & Requirements:
This position demands a dynamic, flexible and agile individual with a demonstrated ability to quickly achieve results in demanding and often difficult environments.
- 5 years’ experience in project and team management on full project cycle technical needs (design, implementation, M&E, lessons learned) in both humanitarian and development settings
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities, deadlines, tasks efficiently in high-stress environment
- Good understanding of support services, including HR, Finance, Operations and Security
- Speaking and writing fluency in English and French is required
- A first experience with Relief International would be a strong asset
- Experience in the region and good understanding of humanitarian issues in the countries of action
- An experience with the French Development Agency as well as with European Donors required.
- Excellent time management skills, resourcefulness, with strong attention to detail
- Capacity to quickly establish leadership over the team
- Ability to work virtually with team members spread out around the world
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills
- Ability to think critically and creatively
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Excellent representation, presentation and communication skills
- Creating an empowering and motivating environment; building relationships internally and externally
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality, and operational independence. We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities.
- Transparency and Accountability
- Agility and Innovation